The DVD/Blu-Ray (Plus For Sale) Thread

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: The DVD/Blu-Ray (Plus For Sale) Thread

Post by Buscemi2 »

Speaking of Canada, I managed to find a Blu-ray of The Decline of the American Empire for $12.99. Never expected to find that in a store (it was the Vintage Stock in Chesterfield, Missouri).

Also nice was finding the Twin Peaks convention exclusive Pops at Box Lunch before then.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Anyone get some Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals? All my BDs were used:
Forrest Gump Box of Chocolates edition $9.60
Odd Man Out (Criterion) $8
Robinson Crusoe on Mars (Criterion) $9.60
Barry Lyndon (Criterion) $9.60 (already have it, but still...)
Midnight Express (Digibook) $3.20

I wish the Gump set was in good shape, but someone smashed the hell out of the box and it's missing the bookmark. Not bad considering new they're listed at $150 on Amazon.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I used Amazon's pre-Thanksgiving sale to nab Criterion's Ingmar Bergman's Cinema box set.

30 Blu Rays containing 39 of Bergman's feature films (with only Face to Face being the major omission), and a bunch of feature-length docs, interviews, video essays, etc. And smartly Criterion made it Region Free.

If I appear more morose and philosophical on these boards than usual, now you know why.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Face to Face I believe is still with Olive Films. For some reason, they've never seen fit to upgrade the DVD they released seven years ago.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I was all set to buy the Bergman set when I found out that I couldn't use more than six gift cards at one time through Barnes and Noble (they were all $10 gift cards). But I think I came out okay buying the Jacques Demy set, The Age of Innocence, and Rosemary's Baby for a little over $30 altogether.

But I had a good Criterion haul anyway of Ikiru, La Dolce Vita (which was initially incorrectly shipped as a Midsomer Murders compilation), Sisters, The Fisher King, Bitter Rice, The Uninvited, and Some Like it Hot as well. I may do one more buy on the final day and maybe dig into that Arrow sale (I'm eyeing Gosford Park).

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I see that Bergman boxed set listed for $700 on Amazon.ca. Madness!

I've had the Del Toro boxset on my wishlist for ages now and the lowest price I've ever seen is just under $90. I like the few Criterions I own, but their price tags are insane. Especially considering I just found the Hitchcock Ultimate collection on Blu-Ray for $50. That's 17 discs including most of his classics, so if I seem a bit more stabby than usual, now you know why.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I think I paid $40 for the UK release of the Hitchcock set (it dropped North by Northwest as Universal couldn't license it outside of the US, making it much cheaper in the process). Sometimes, you can get some good deals on imports just by looking at third-party merchants on Amazon.

As for the Bergman set, Criterion is supposed to be printing more due to demand. However, with replication issues causing many titles to be delayed, who knows how long it will take.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I'm so excited about spending the rest of my 30s replacing my limited edition DVDs with limited edition Blue Rays just in time for some new media to come along and make them obsolete.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Though there are the fears of streaming taking away what you've bought due to expiring rights (though I'm sure that "sky is falling" crowd will eventually be silenced, much of the Blu-ray crowd loves to find things to argue about).

I do like that Blu-rays tend to be at the same quality as theatrical prints. I really don't get the UHD buzz, though. People rebuying movies that they didn't really like the first time around (did we really need a 4K release of Push, the instantly-forgotten Chris Evans film from a decade ago?).

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I got my Del Toro set for under $50 during the Criterion sale with discounted gift cards.

I don't know if there will be another type of physical media or not. There's very little upgrade from Blu to 4K and going any higher is even less. Streaming will be even more popular and physical will become more of a collector's market. You can see it already with every wide release getting multiple editions day one (steelbooks, extra content, digibooks, etc). I think in the future it could be digital codes/blus/4Ks packaged with figures or other collectibles. Imagine a Star Trek phaser with a USB that has every episode ever on it or a $20 Thor figure and Mojindar plugs into your HDMI (only $200).

I think that's where we're going.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I know Drafthouse Films (pre-Neon) did something like that with the Klown series. A $40 (or something like that) USB got you both movies and the entire TV series (this is the only way to get a physical release of Klown Forever that I know of here). Since the label was transitioning, they really did see much of a need to do a disc release of the sequel.

And the comparison of Blu-ray and vinyl is an apt comparison that's made often. It's not very mainstream but there is a rabid audience who will buy anything and everything to keep the format going (look at all of the VHS-themed art that's been around lately). Also, physical still seems to offer some things you still can't get on streaming.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

W wrote:I don't know if there will be another type of physical media or not. There's very little upgrade from Blu to 4K and going any higher is even less. Streaming will be even more popular and physical will become more of a collector's market. You can see it already with every wide release getting multiple editions day one (steelbooks, extra content, digibooks, etc). I think in the future it could be digital codes/blus/4Ks packaged with figures or other collectibles. Imagine a Star Trek phaser with a USB that has every episode ever on it or a $20 Thor figure and Mojindar plugs into your HDMI (only $200).

I think that's where we're going.
I agree, and I'm surprised we haven't seen more of that already. I've never been big into collectibles, but I could see myself buying an Enterprise figurine with a memory card inside and the ability to wirelessly stream the Star Trek back catalogue to any device. And if Paramount want to make even more money, they could offer a separate USS Defiant figurine with all of DS9, a Voyager figurine, etc. Figuring out a way to make this sort of collectible user-friendly and copy-protected might be the big stumbling block.

4K looks like crap unless something is shot in that format, and CDs have been around since the 80s and no one's found a format that offers any clear advantages, so the endless cycle of re-purchasing your favourite movies and albums on a new, improved format may have finally ended. The big headache in the future will probably be choosing among the dozens of streaming services that will probably be available.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I have a feeling that the streaming service bubble will burst at some point. There's simply too many of them and many of them are stretched too thin. There have been rumors that YouTube's service hasn't been doing well and how many people are aware of companies like Facebook and Apple having them?

It won't be surprising to see most of them get swallowed up or go bust in a couple years' time. Outside of the giants (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu), a lot of the smaller ones will need a big hit just to stay alive.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I mean there is really only one giant streaming service. Hulu is half free and there's very little on it besides stuff that's currently on TV. Disney owns two thirds of it and are still offering their own service soon. I don't know how many people would subscribe to Amazon Prime if it weren't basically free with their Prime subscription. HBO may actually be #2.

It is a mess. I used these services:
1. Netflix
2. Hulu
3. HBO
4. CBS All Access
5. Amazon Prime
6. ESPN (Monday Night Football)
7. NBC Streaming (Sunday Night Football)
8. Fox Sports
9. YouTube
10. VUDU
11. Dish

I'm sure there's more. I only subscribe to four of them (parents get some through Dish), but still...

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Buscemi2 wrote: I really don't get the UHD buzz, though. People rebuying movies that they didn't really like the first time around (did we really need a 4K release of Push, the instantly-forgotten Chris Evans film from a decade ago?).
I don't understand what money Lionsgate thinks they will get by releasing movies like The Hurricane Heist (although that was probably the best comedy of the past few years ;) ) and The Last Witch Hunter on 4K.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/