The DVD/Blu-Ray (Plus For Sale) Thread

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

Re: The DVD/Blu-Ray (Plus For Sale) Thread

Post by W »

I just ordered the Game of Thrones Bolton exclusive set for Season 5 and the Star Wars TFA Steelbook from Best Buy. The price will drop on TFA, but I want to make sure I get an order in in case it sells out. If the price drops pre-release they should match it and if not I'll just call them up. Also, the exclusives for GoT typically hold value very well compared to the vanilla ones. It's literally just a sheet of paper on the outside, but last year I pretty much got Season 4 for free after selling my Martell set and rebuying the vanilla one.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I wonder if the newer seasons have Dolby Atmos (the previous seasons are being reissued with new mixes).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Amazon.ca had a rare sale on Criterions under $30 in February, so I picked up a couple. I nabbed The Royal Tennanbaums, Rushmore, and an old Japanese horror film called Kwaidan. I've been watching quite a few classic Japanese horrors lately, and if Onibaba ever comes out on Blu-Ray I'll try to get that one at a decent price too.

I also threw in The Grand Budapest Hotel and The Fantastic Mr. Fox on Blu-Ray since they were under $10.

I don't think W was ever able to redeem the FoxConnect codes I sent him before, but I have a few more if he wants to try again.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Amazon's doing a Criterion sale this month. I might pick up a few.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Twilight Time has a bunch of their stuff for $20. I grabbed 1984, Judgement at Nuremberg, and Mississippi Burning.

Also grabbed five titles from Hastings current 5 for 20: Girls Season 1 and 2, Love The Coopers, Our Brand is Crisis, and Lincoln four disc. The first four are blind buys. I'm going to keep a lookout the next few days that the sale is going on. Hopefully stuff I want restocks.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Don't post too many buys anymore but I did get a couple of steals in CD Warehouse's eternal Buy 1, Get 1 deal on Blu-rays and DVD's in the past month.

First one:
The Swimmer $12.99 (usually $20 on Amazon)
42nd Street Forever: The Blu-ray Edition Free (rarely a cheap title, as with most trailer compilations)

Second one:
Brave (five disc 3-D release, unopened) $22.99
Rubber Free

They also have some cheap Criterions but they aren't part of the deal (music discs and TV seasons aren't either). I might stop there again one of these days for the Criterion stock.

Meanwhile, I haven't been finding too many good Amazon deals as of late (outside of imports, I did get the UK disc of Clockers for $12.99 last week). My big want is the Hannibal Funko Pop line. I figured I'd start a collection by getting all five of these (three have been discontinued, most notably both Will Grahams) over the next couple of weeks. There's also a Comic-Con exclusive of Hannibal Lecter (similar to the regular figure but with blood spatter on his face) but no way I'm spending over $100 for the figure.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

W wrote:Twilight Time has a bunch of their stuff for $20. I grabbed 1984, Judgement at Nuremberg, and Mississippi Burning.
1984 and Mississippi Burning are both excellent and worth having. I haven't seen Judgement At Nuremberg, but if it's half as good as Inherit The Wind it'll be worth it.

I decided to create an account and see how much they'd charge for for shipping on The Bride Wore Black. With the exchange rate being what it is, and with the chance of getting dinged by customs, I decided to pass, but it was tempting.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Yeah, 1984 is blind but the othe two are excellent. I'm a big fan of Judgement at Nuremberg. WWII films are one of my favorite genres.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Just preordered the Deadpool Steelbook that comes out next Tuesday. For some reason it's $19.99 right now, but the ad shows $24.99. So if you want it, preordering now is the way to go. I also preordered a couple of games... Battleborn and Uncharted 4. I get more excited for the next Uncharted game than I do for any movie, but I've heard this is supposed to be the last one. Still, after the Uncharted series and The Last of Us, anything Naughty Dog does in the future will be an instant buy for me.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

It's funny how I spent years thinking that the Criterion Collection discs were horribly overpriced, and little more than an excuse for Janus Films to make a quick buck off their back catalogue, but all it took was one Amazon sale last summer to get me hooked.

I've got Kuroneko on the way, and I pre-ordered The Player and Dr. Strangelove, so when they all arrive I'll have bought 10 Criterion Blu-Rays in the past year.

They're still kinda expensive, so I never pay full price, but it's worth it when a hard-to-find title like Kuroneko goes on sale, and Amazon seems to offer a better price when you pre-order, so maybe that'll be how I pick up any new titles I want in the future.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

You may want to wait until the Criterion sale this summer at Barnes and Noble. I'm assuming you've got them preordered for $28 ish? During the BN sale they're 50% off the list price and you can get gift cards for extra savings. Right now the best I can find are only 12% off, but in March I bought a $100 GC on eBay for $73. So the standard $40 MSRP ones will cost me $14.60 +tax. Normally the sale starts early to mid July. Just something to think about.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Oh, also Best Buy is having a $10 gift card with a $50 movie purchase. It works on preorders (which typically drop in price bringing you under the $50 when all is said and done). I put in three preorder orders:

Gods of Egypt Steelbook + 10 Cloverfield Lane Steelbook
Gods of Egypt Steelbook (for our maintenance guy who happens to be a conspiracy theorist) + Zootopia
Green Room + Rush Hour 2 + Batman v Superman Steelbook

I'm considering the Allegiant and 13 Hours Steels. I'm compelled to finish the super crappy Divergent Steel set, but I've grown extremely tired of the franchise that wasn't good to begin with.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I'm probably going to pre-order Zootopia next week for the 100 extra My Best Buy Rewards points.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

That's only $2 and it may stack with this. I'm not 100% sure. If it doesn't post to your account you can always call or go to Best Buy unboxed. I've done that when my game preorders don't post. But like I said, it's $2.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

W wrote:You may want to wait until the Criterion sale this summer at Barnes and Noble. I'm assuming you've got them preordered for $28 ish? During the BN sale they're 50% off the list price and you can get gift cards for extra savings. Right now the best I can find are only 12% off, but in March I bought a $100 GC on eBay for $73. So the standard $40 MSRP ones will cost me $14.60 +tax. Normally the sale starts early to mid July. Just something to think about.
Barnes & Noble doesn't operate in Canada, so their sale doesn't do me much good because of the usual exchange rate/shipping/customs issues. Unless I spend a weekend in Seattle or Portland this summer and pop into a brick & mortar store it's probably easier to just wait until Amazon.ca offers a discount. I haven't noticed anything else in their collection I desperately want, but there's a few I'd be willing to pick up for the right price, like In A Lonely Place, The Bicycle Thief, or Woman In The Dunes.