The DVD/Blu-Ray (Plus For Sale) Thread

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: The DVD/Blu-Ray (Plus For Sale) Thread

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Hurricane Heist was a pre-sale. They only got home video rights from Entertainment Studios (Netflix got pay cable) so they really aren't out all that much on it. Besides, those that are really into UHD will buy anything on the format. As for The Last Witch Hunter, I seem to recall that Vin Diesel titles do well in post-theatrical markets as well as internationally.

I do have one UHD title and that was only because it offered a difference from its Blu-ray counterpart (funny that it also has Vin Diesel in the cast). Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk has three versions (standard, 3-D, 60fps version on the UHD disc) of the film and the fact that Sony put so much dedication into a little-seen film is impressive. Otherwise, I wouldn't pay the extra money.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Buscemi2 wrote:The Hurricane Heist was a pre-sale. They only got home video rights from Entertainment Studios (Netflix got pay cable) so they really aren't out all that much on it. Besides, those that are really into UHD will buy anything on the format. As for The Last Witch Hunter, I seem to recall that Vin Diesel titles do well in post-theatrical markets as well as internationally.

I do have one UHD title and that was only because it offered a difference from its Blu-ray counterpart (funny that it also has Vin Diesel in the cast). Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk has three versions (standard, 3-D, 60fps version on the UHD disc) of the film and the fact that Sony put so much dedication into a little-seen film is impressive. Otherwise, I wouldn't pay the extra money.
Doesn't Lionsgate sell the rights to their films outside of the US and Canada to other studios? I'm not sure if it works that way post-theatrical or when they are distributing for other studios, but do they still get money from the films?
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I've got a few 4K, but no way to play them yet. I can stream 4K UHD through my PS4 Pro, but it doesn't have the 4K disc drive. Got them mostly through junk shops or because they have Steelbooks. I'd also rather pay $5 more sometimes and get 4K+Blu+Digital than Blu+DVD+Digital.

I was thinking Hurricane Heist is getting a sequel, but that's Den of Thieves. Both Hurricane Heist and Den of Thieves were worth watching for their How Did This Get Mades (also GEOSTORM!). The very beginning when the face is in the cloud I was thinking it could be so bad it's ridiculously great, but nope.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

W wrote:I've got a few 4K, but no way to play them yet. I can stream 4K UHD through my PS4 Pro, but it doesn't have the 4K disc drive. Got them mostly through junk shops or because they have Steelbooks. I'd also rather pay $5 more sometimes and get 4K+Blu+Digital than Blu+DVD+Digital.

I was thinking Hurricane Heist is getting a sequel, but that's Den of Thieves. Both Hurricane Heist and Den of Thieves were worth watching for their How Did This Get Mades (also GEOSTORM!). The very beginning when the face is in the cloud I was thinking it could be so bad it's ridiculously great, but nope.
Agreed that the cloud skull at the beginning was the "best" part of the movie. The acting and special effects were "great" too. ;) Geostorm, on the other hand, was disappointing - incredibly mediocre - not good or so bad, it's good - just there.

Image courtesy of -

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

It's the Disney streaming service that could be a real game-changer. If you have kids, you'll probably want access to the MCU and Disney princesses, and once their service is up I doubt they'll license any content to anyone else. And if it works you could see a Paramount service, and a Universal service, etc, etc.

It's similar to the early days of Hollywood when the studios owned their own theatres as well, until the government stepped in and said there had to be separate ownership for theatres. I don't see how letting Disney own its own streaming service is any different.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I think I saw that Disney was going to pull their Marvel shows from Netflix. This might explain why all of them but Jessica Jones have been canceled.

As for Lionsgate, they have an international division and distribute their titles in some countries (their UK distribution is decent sized).

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Buscemi2 wrote: As for Lionsgate, they have an international division and distribute their titles in some countries (their UK distribution is decent sized).
I remember seeing a Lionsgate logo on the international trailer for Sicario: Day of the Soldolo, so that would make sense.

Image courtesy of -

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Lionsgate retained international rights on the Black Label Media titles after that company took them elsewhere.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The B&N online sale allowed me to reach 100 Criterions. #100 for me was Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (so now I have a Russ Meyer title, which is nice).

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I'm going through and getting rid of a ton of stuff I own including a lot of my Blu-Ray collection. Just too much clutter. I've only went through two shelves of my collection and already found so much stuff. Stuff I paid like $5-8 for and can list for anywhere from $40-90. I've mostly looked through some Digis and Steels. I did not realize my $5 Wizards Digibook is worth somewhere between $60 and $100 now. Hamlet is about $50. Tora! Tora! Tora! went for $46...

Another random thought... I wish I started playing Magic: The Gathering in fourth grade instead of sixth. Instead of about $500 worth of cards I'd have maybe cleared tens of thousands.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Animation Throwdown (when I played) made me realize that I would have been good at trading card games had I given them a chance. But I was never into the playing aspect, only the collecting part.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Been getting rid of some of my better/easier to get rid of stuff and trading it for Criterions. On the Criterion subreddit I traded some extras I picked up on the cheap for stuff I don't already have including:
Blood Simple
Persona
I Wanna Hold Your Hand
A Taste of Honey

Then I came across a pretty good deal on there that just came in today:
Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (sealed) (39 films on 32 discs)
100 Years of Olympic Films (52 films on 36 discs)
His Girl Friday
Othello
Being There
Roma (Fellini)
Asphalt Jungle
Heart of a Dog
Smithereens (sealed)
Hopscotch

It was $200 total for the two sets, $12 apiece for the regulars. $305.15 shipped ($296 plus I paid the Paypal fees to make sure I didn't get screwed over).

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

$200 each for the 2 sets or together. Apart you can do better. I got the Bergman set for $180 all in.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

numbersix wrote:$200 each for the 2 sets or together. Apart you can do better. I got the Bergman set for $180 all in.
... together. Basically $100 apiece. Couldn’t pass it up.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Large Haul (S) = sealed

Blu-Ray $4 each
City Lights Criterion (S)
Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection (S)
Thunderbirds Complete Series (S + Slip)
Vincent Price Collection 2 (S)
Doctor Who Fifth Series
Doctor Who Seventh Series

Buster Keaton Kino lot (Blu, all w/ slips unless said) $4 each:
Short Films Collection 1920-23
Sherlock Jr./Three Ages (S)
Seven Chances
The Navigator
The General (S, no slip)
Steamboat Bill, Jr. (S)
Our Hospitality (S)
Go West/Battling Butler

Blu Misc:
Rome Complete series Blu (S) $8

DVD $4:
Mike Hammer Complete Series (S)
Addams Family (Hanna Barbera) Complete Series (S)
Ultimate Goldbergs (S)
Pink Panther Classic Cartoon Collection 5-disc Collector's Set
Jolly Frolics Collection
Studio 60 Complete Series (S)
Underdog Complete Collector's Edition (S)
Terrahawks Complete Series (S)
Martin and Lewis Collection 2 (S)
Gilligan's Planet Complete Series (S)
Bing Crosby Silver Screen Collection (S)
Are You being Served Complete Collection (S)

DVD Misc:
Bette Davis Collection Volume 3 (S) $10
Cagney and Lacey Complete Series (S) $15

DVD $25 each:
The Saint Ultimate Collection (S)
Bruce Lee Legacy Collection (S)
Doris Day Show Complete Series (S)
Naked City Complete Series (S)
Larry Sanders Show Complete Series (S)
It Takes a Thief Complete Series (S)

$307 all-in. I don't know what I'll actually keep for myself, but if I get a decent price for It Takes a Thief the rest would be near-free.