The DVD/Blu-Ray (Plus For Sale) Thread

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: The DVD/Blu-Ray (Plus For Sale) Thread

Post by Buscemi »

I thought I'd bring this up for Six.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/A-Dark-So ... ay/181261/

His movie is now officially part of the Scream Factory family (it says Shout but IFC Midnight titles usually get distributed under Scream).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Cool!

I've actually no idea what's on the DVD in terms of extras. Must find out!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Anyone have The Lion King steelbook preordered? I'm thinking it'd be an excellent idea if you haven't. They had just one locally, but was hoping for a second for my nephew's birthday they always have a few non-preorders at open. If I didn't get it now I'm fairly sure it'll be over $100 by the end of the year. I grabbed Guardians #2 one this week. I wish my Guardians #1 was still sealed, they're topping out at about $125 right now (as it sits, opened, $60-70). I may need to dump some of my Steelbook collection soon at those prices.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I finally won a Blu-ray.com contest. It only took four years and perfect timing to do so.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Congrats. I stopped playing those. Which one did you get?

Yesterday I grabbed 4 Criterions for $60 from the eBay flash sale plus a discount. Purple Noon, Ikiru, Paris Texas, and Bicycle Thieves. The last three bring me closer to finishing watching the Top 250. I have 69 to go and own about a third and my library has about a third.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The contest was for the UK (all region) discs of The Last Detail and Hardcore, featuring extras exclusive to this release (as with nearly all Indicator titles). I didn't buy the Twilight Time discs during their sale last month in hopes that I might win.

I might finally have to get a player that can play Region B titles so I can get the Universal titles Indicator's releasing (unless Shout can get the US rights).

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Ebay has a flash sale the next few hours for 20% off $25+ (limit $100 off $500). Combining with blowitoutahere's 15% off 4+ makes for some decent deals. I grabbed Thor Ragnarok and six Criterions for $103. All blind buys:

Breaker Morant
Buena Vista Social Club
Don't Look Now
Hiroshima Mon Amour
I Knew Her Well
Rumble Fish

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Dont use Ebay anymore, I got ripped of so bad the last two times.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I stopped using eBay after my identity got stolen some years back (they found the guy after a few hours and I got what was stolen back). I'd forgotten my Paypal password and they wouldn't give me a new one. It's ridiculous that you absolutely need to use their money system just to use the site.

Elon Musk, you really dropped the ball on this one (yes, I get that his involvement was the result of a merger but still)

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

In my experience you get screwed as the seller, not the buyer. As a buyer all you have to do is open a case and you have a 99.9% chance it’s going your way. Part of my job is buying and selling things online for people. We had an antique desk our client paid $2000 for and we got the runaround for two months. Opened a case and got it back within a day.

Got an antique bust in supposedly from the 30’s, but it turned out to be a reproduction made of fiberglass. We’ll lose the shipping cost and that’s it.

I got my ebay hacked about a decade ago and didn’t know for about five years. People were saying they were selling gold coins at a discount so they shut the account down within hours. Everything worked out quickly and easily.

I sent two pieces to someone and (I believe) they purposely broke one to try and get the other at a discount.

The only time I really got screwed as a buyer was when I bought from a large company (like blowitoitahere, but not them) who shipped me the entire wrong order, I returned it with their label and they had no record of it.

I’ve been told I can’t sell Warner Archive DVDs on eBay because they’re DVD-R which means they’re fake. I tried to reason with them and show that’s they way this billions dollar company makes their made on demand stuff, amazon sells them, and they have large companies on eBay that sell them. I was told I’d be banned if I resisted.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I'm not sure if I'm actually going to buy this, since I already have it on DVD and Blu-Ray, but I thought it was pretty cool to see that Bull Durham is about to become part of the Criterion Collection.

I've been raving about it for 25 years, and it's generally regarded as the greatest baseball movie ever made, and probably the greatest sports film ever made, but it's also a title that's been widely available forever, so I was bit surprised to see it announced. Then again, there's nothing even remotely obscure about The Breakfast Club, which I also adore, so it seems like Criterion is making a slight shift towards better-known titles to help their bottom line. As much as I love the movie, it's going to be hard to justify spending $40 for some unique artwork and bonus features.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

JohnErle wrote:I'm not sure if I'm actually going to buy this, since I already have it on DVD and Blu-Ray, but I thought it was pretty cool to see that Bull Durham is about to become part of the Criterion Collection.

I've been raving about it for 25 years, and it's generally regarded as the greatest baseball movie ever made, and probably the greatest sports film ever made, but it's also a title that's been widely available forever, so I was bit surprised to see it announced. Then again, there's nothing even remotely obscure about The Breakfast Club, which I also adore, so it seems like Criterion is making a slight shift towards better-known titles to help their bottom line. As much as I love the movie, it's going to be hard to justify spending $40 for some unique artwork and bonus features.
I saw this today as well. Don't spend the $40. I've been getting my Criterions closer to $15 during ebay flash sales. At least wait until Barnes and Noble's 50% off Criterion later in the year... Are there BNs in Canada?

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

eOne distributes Criterion titles in Canada so a distribution fee might be included in that price.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Nope. No B&N in Canada. I'd have to order online, and last time I looked into it the shipping and import duties would make them almost full price during the 50% off sale. I can get them from Amazon.ca, but they almost never go on sale and usually hover around that $40 mark. I'll look into the eBay option.

If you plan to buy some during the 50% sale I might ask you to grab me a copy and mail it to me again to try and save a few bucks.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

There's one independent video store still operating in Vancouver, and they sometimes have big sales of DVDs and Blu-Rays that they buy in bulk from private collections or estate sales. They had one this weekend and I picked up some nice bargains.

They had a bunch of Criterions for $15-$25, but most were DVDs so that still seemed over-priced. I did pick up Pale Flower and Ministry Of Fear on Blu-Ray for $35 total, neither of which I've ever seen.

I also snagged a nice collector's set of the complete Foyle's War for $50, I, Claudius for $20, and An American Werewolf in London and Better Watch Out super cheap. The sale was cash only so I had to pass on a few other Criterions like Walkabout and Cul-De-Sac.