Top 100 - the sequel

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Re: Top 100 - the sequel

Post by Chienfantome »

So are we going with 100 films ?
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

yeah, lets go with 100, but i think we can still have the option for those to do 50 if they only want that. For example, im dragging my old man into this, but he says he can only do 50, and he will join when we reach no. 50. So that goes for all of us, if ya only wanna do 50, then its fine, but ima do 100, and id hope most of you can too :)
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

I can easily make a Top 100. There will still be great films left out.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I glanced at my IMDB history and I have more than 100 movies in that time period rated 9 or higher, so 100 works for me. Whittling them down and re-ordering them will be the tricky part.

A lot of these movies will be things I've only watched once, and then there's movies like The Hoax with Richard Gere, which I rated a 9 when I watched it but I have zero memory of what it's even about. It'll be interesting to do this list when the nostalgia factor is largely removed.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

And then there's movies like The Talented Mr. Ripley, which was apparently released on Christmas Day, 1999, so I can't include it. Grrr...

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

Yeah there's a tricky transition period. Some films have been released outisde the US in 2000 but originaly in 99 in the US, and vice versa, so I guess we need to only take into account the first release in the original territory.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Yeah I'm going by first public release (i.e no festivals) in any country.

I've seen about 1250 films that were release since Jan 1 2000, so gonna be fun to whittle it down. And I suspect our lists will generate more outrage than an All Time Top 100, because we don't have the comfort of "classic" status to rely on.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I kind of have all my lists by year of US release already. I hope this is fine so I don't have to do a lot more work.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I have the top 10s we've done here the past few years, so those will be easy, but I might completely overlook a movie from the 00s that I loved but never rated on IMDB. Hopefully I don't end up kicking myself too hard because of an oversight.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

JohnErle wrote:I have the top 10s we've done here the past few years, so those will be easy, but I might completely overlook a movie from the 00s that I loved but never rated on IMDB. Hopefully I don't end up kicking myself too hard because of an oversight.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/schedule/? ... s=4&p=.htm

I checked Mojo's release schedule as far back as it goes when I rated everything I've ever watched a couple years ago. It took forever for me, but shouldn't take a horrible amount of time if you're just going back and skimming, especially bolded wide releases.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

[sigh] At first glance I immediately dismissed the idea of another top 100, I don't have the time for ransacking my brain, then ordering them all, and then writing something constructive on each one. But then I start reminiscing and thinking this is actually possible despite now I have a family and a busy life.... I do have a list of pretty much every movie I've seen in the last 5 years or so, so that's a start.... Go on, put me down, and hopefully I'll follow through. I do love a good list!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Okay... I think we have enough support for a Top 100 to do that.

Anyone who wants to do a Top 50 can join us in mid-February (when we reach that stage) with their lists.

So this is The Top 100 of the Current Millennium?
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

I've come up with a list of 212 films already. I'm not sure I've got all the films I need in it but that's already more than enough to trim it down to a list of 100 excellent films.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

silversurfer19 wrote:[sigh] At first glance I immediately dismissed the idea of another top 100, I don't have the time for ransacking my brain, then ordering them all, and then writing something constructive on each one. But then I start reminiscing and thinking this is actually possible despite now I have a family and a busy life.... I do have a list of pretty much every movie I've seen in the last 5 years or so, so that's a start.... Go on, put me down, and hopefully I'll follow through. I do love a good list!
Hey, I never promised I'd have time to write anything meaningful or pithy about 100 movies by January 1st. You'll be lucky to get a list. And if they're in alphabetical order after #67 or so, you'll know that's the point where I gave up and/or ran out of time.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

W wrote:
JohnErle wrote:I have the top 10s we've done here the past few years, so those will be easy, but I might completely overlook a movie from the 00s that I loved but never rated on IMDB. Hopefully I don't end up kicking myself too hard because of an oversight.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/schedule/? ... s=4&p=.htm

I checked Mojo's release schedule as far back as it goes when I rated everything I've ever watched a couple years ago. It took forever for me, but shouldn't take a horrible amount of time if you're just going back and skimming, especially bolded wide releases.
That's pretty useful, or I'll just use BOM's charts for each year to scan through and see if there's anything I want to include that I never rated on IMDB.