FantasyMovieLeague.com

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: FantasyMovieLeague.com

Post by Geezer »

When he says "reportedly" he means "I think they'll be bad, so I'm going to project that on America"
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Geezer wrote:When he says "reportedly" he means "I think they'll be bad, so I'm going to project that on America"
I had gotten the information from someone who was tracking advance word in the UK (where critics got screenings before the US did). But it is possible that reception has changed lately.

Early word for the new Ice Age has been negative however and I think that franchise has run its course.

Meanwhile, I don't think you can compare Lights Out to Deliver Us from Evil or The Gallows. Those two were dead on arrival while Lights Out's gotten positive reviews and tested well enough to go from January to July (much like The Conjuring did). In fact, Lights Out is being sold as the next Conjuring.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Warner Brothers hopes Lights Out is the next Conjuring, but I don't think it has nearly enough juice behind it to come anywhere near matching The Conjuring's numbers. The trailers aren't nearly as attention-grabbing and the marketing campaign has been pretty quiet for a big-studio horror release. I expect it to pull in somewhere between $12 and $14 mil this weekend.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Kudos to Boosh for correctly predicting a 20+ mil opening weekend for Lights Out. Kicking myself for underestimating horror fans and playing Star Trek over it.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

My first win of the season and I did it on my birthday weekend. Absolutely Fabulous got the bonus instead of Lights Out (good for me either way).

Meanwhile, I had 7/8th's of a perfect lineup (Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates instead of a fourth AbFab was the difference).

Waiting patiently for the new lineup and prices but so far, I like Bad Moms' chances. STX has been promoting it like a blockbuster and even though the writers/directors aren't the most promising, I think it could be a crossover hit. Jason Bourne looks good too but it will be highly priced. I don't like Nerve at all (Emma Roberts and Dave Franco aren't stars and the trailer gives away everything).

Edit: this week's lineup: 3 Bad Moms, 5 Cafe Society.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I lost quite some steam in this game by not playing one week when I was away, but for the first time in 4 weeks I had time to play it more than just instinctively so hopefully I'll cath up a bit.
I went with 2 Bad Moms, 5 Nerve and 1 Dory.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Went with 3 Bad Moms, 2 Nerve, 3 Captain Fantastic. I saw CF was adding 500 theaters, so I figure I'd hope for the bonus this week. Close to $3 m should be a slam dunk for perfect.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

There's no way Captain Fantastic is gonna make 3M this weekend. $2M at best.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

That could still do it if Bad Moms only hits $25 m.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

Chienfantome wrote:I lost quite some steam in this game by not playing one week when I was away, but for the first time in 4 weeks I had time to play it more than just instinctively so hopefully I'll cath up a bit.
I went with 2 Bad Moms, 5 Nerve and 1 Dory.
You're in good company, that's my slate as well... but it also means that you're not gaining any ground. ;)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Meh. I think Nerve has a good shot at getting the bonus this weekend considering its wednesday score.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Well with one week off I know there's no way I'm gonna win this season, but I can gain ground on the people following you ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

My mom really wants to see Captain Fantastic. We're going on Sunday (we have some things to take care of involving recycling, AT&T, and cars).

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Well, Spectre, if those estimates hold, it looks like we'll get the perfect slate this week ;) Which would make me back in the run for the podium.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I don't know how this week will go (or if Nine Lives is even opening this week), so I'm doing the Friday Suicide Squad (daily split this week), The Secret Life of Pets, 2 Nerve (it did get an A- Cinemascore so it could hold well), and 4 Cafe Society.