Rate That Movie Part IV: Movies Never Sleep

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Re: Rate That Movie Part IV: Movies Never Sleep

Post by Chienfantome »

"High Rise" trailer was one of the weirdest and most exciting I've seen all day. Very promising stuff
Of the Minions, I'v actually seen a 15 minutes extract of the film, from the last third of the film, so I don't know about the sequence of them in the past, Banks.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I watched Unfinished Business today. Vaughn has always been able to lay a turd of a film (The Watch, Dilemma, and Couples Retreat) but he put out a couple I really enjoyed as his last two wide releases (Internship and Delivery Man) though they performed poorly at the box office. This one comes close to the worst film I've ever seen with no redeeming qualities. I almost laughed once in this "comedy"... almost. It's not even redeeming as a "bad" movie. Just a bland comedy where you know the punchline to every joke before it's said. I don't post about very many of the films I watch anymore, I just had to let everyone know... even if you're curious... even if you liked his last couple... please don't watch this movie.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

My sister actually thought Unfinished Business was good (calling it the funniest movie in a long time). But then again, she seems to be convinced everything is either "the best movie ever" (examples: Big Hero 6, Rush, Prisoners, The Wolf of Wall Street, Nightcrawler) or "the worst movie ever" (examples: Dumb and Dumber To, August: Osage County). I've pretty much decided not to take her opinions seriously if she's going to sound like she's half her age on movies and have a new favorite every week.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Nope... I like Vince Vaughn and it was complete and utter crap. All those films on the "best ever" list were above average though (except I haven't seen Nightcrawler) which says a lot because like 80% of films rate "average" to me (high 5-7).
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

She claimed it was funny based on an inside joke she and her husband (my brother-in-law) have involving one of their dogs (she said Dave Franco reminded them of their Pomeranian). I'm not sure how an inside joke could improve a movie's quality (unless it's The Aristocrats).

In a way, I kind of wonder if much of her taste is influenced by his rather poor taste (my sister would attest to this) in movies. For example, he thought Boyhood looked awful but really wanted to see As Above, So Below and If I Stay.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Well, to that stranger's defense, Boyhood did and still does look awful. It's probably a good movie, but it doesn't have the most titillating log line ever.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

But it looking worse than If I Stay (which is basically The Lovely Bones, The Fault in Our Stars and a million other teen-aimed movies)? That's not just bad taste, that's pure ignorance.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Did anyone here think "Joe" with Nic Cage was good? I have a lot of respect for the taste around here, and I'm wondering if someone can convince me that it wasn't terrible...?
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

A number of us liked Joe. Maybe it's to you what Birdman was to me.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

It seemed to have the makings of a good movie... but I just found myself uninterested. I certainly gave it a fair chance--in fact, I went in WANTING and EXPECTING to like it. But it felt like a somber version of The Way Way Back... which I suppose isn't necessarily a bad thing on paper, though I couldn't bring myself to care about the characters.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Yeah, didn't do anything for me either. The film gets so lost that it's impossible to get a sense of the characters in any deep or meaningful level, and the last 30 mins are awful.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel **.5/****

It's not as focused or enjoyable as the first (and the decision to make it a series of sitcom plots weaved by an overarching story is a bit jarring) but it's still a pleasant sequel thanks to the performances. Dev Patel and Maggie Smith give the best performances (and actually play off each other well) while Richard Gere was a nice addition as a guest who is confused for an important hotel inspector. The humorous moments also work well and it is beautifully shot and scored. However, there is a bit too much going on and it tries to bite more than it chews at times. But all in all, it's a decent sequel but I don't expect a Third Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (unless the box office success in the UK and Australia convinces Fox to make it).

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Run All Night **.5/****

Thrilling is a bit basic revenge drama where Liam Neeson plays a hired killer who ends up starting a crime war with his boss and the NYPD when he protects his estranged son from his boss's son. Neeson and Joel Kinnaman do well enough but Ed Harris is the main reason to watch. Meanwhile, it's disappointing that Harris isn't the lead that was promoted in the ad campaign (and for a film that runs 114 minutes, it's obvious that much of Harris, along with an unbilled Nick Nolte, was cut from the end result). Along with Harris, Nolte, Vincent D'Onofrio, Common and Boyd Holbrook also do well with what material they are given and Jaume Collet-Serra's direction is admirable. It just needed a better script and pacing.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Red Army ***.5/****

In North America, the stories of the Soviet national hockey team have remained mostly unknown. Until now. Chicago-based filmmaker Gabe Polsky interviews former captain (and Russia's current Minister of Sport) Slava Fetisov on how the Red Army became the best team during the 1970's and 1980's, their role in the USSR's spirit and their (along with the nation's) eventual fall. Normally, this is a subject that would probably be best reserved for a 30 for 30 episode but as a theatrical film, it manages to be extremely compelling. Fetisov and his teammates are strong interview subjects as they are unafraid to reveal the difficulties of being the best, such as the constant practicing, the military-style coaching (after their beloved, father-like coach is fired over the 1980 Olympic bronze medal), the fear of letting your country down and the breathing down of your oppressive government as they might lose you. The documentary is very fast-paced, mixing the interviews with game footage and Moscow in the era, and features a great score co-composed by Christophe Beck. You really feel for the subjects are they fight to survive in this world they were born into. They might have been branded pawns in a political game but inside, they only wanted to play some hockey.

Probably the best sports movie since Senna.

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

Yep, Red Army is a great film, because it's not just a sports film, it is a fascinating depiction of the final years of the Soviet Union. One film I'm almost certain to vote for next year for the Reel Society Film Awards ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur