The DVD/Blu-Ray (Plus For Sale) Thread

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

undeadmonkey
Leon

Re: The DVD/Blu-Ray (Plus For Sale) Thread

Post by undeadmonkey »

JohnErle wrote:
BanksIsDaFuture wrote:BD players are pretty cheap these days, I got a wireless Internet-connected one for $50 from Target. It's great.

JE, if you're on our Vudu, you should send the UV code to W so we can trade it :D
VUDU is not available in Canada, so I'm pretty sure there's no code to send.

I think I know what model of Blu-Ray player I'm going to pick up, probably early next week. I've been taking a very difficult course for the past two weeks and my exam is on Monday, so if I feel I did well I'll reward myself by picking up my Blu-Ray player afterwards, and if I feel like I flunked I'll probably buy one to console myself. Either way the damn course will be over and I'll have time to relax with a movie or two.

there have been codes in a few movies i have bought here in canada

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I may have a way to view VUDU in Canada. I've been watching Big Brother Canada by tricking the web page into thinking I'm in Canada. I use Google Chrome and the HOLA add-on. If you want to try I can give you the login info. We're up around 250 movies now.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

W, the Canadian release of Inside Llewyn Davis doesn't have an Ultraviolet code (since Sony didn't distribute it there).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Out of boredom, I ordered a few previously viewed titles on goHastings (disappointed they aren't doing a sale for Easter weekend).

The Damned United $2.98
Good (World War II movie with Viggo Mortensen) $2.24
This Must Be the Place $1.99 (I know the US Blu-ray only has the theatrical cut and not the extended version every other country got but it was cheap)
Sushi Girl $1.64
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

The newly announced Criterion July lineup sounds pretty good to me, though I haven't seen any of them. Scanners is a film I've wanted to see for a while but haven't actually seen in the wild ever (maybe just the joke on Big Bang Theory). I'm pretty much down for watching something going wrong with a young Pickpocket. I've been wanting to watch the Nolan remake of Insomnia for a while and didn't know it was a remake until now... It sounds pretty good. And Big Chill sounds pretty good with a decent cast.

Just wondering about the Jacques Demy box set. Foreign films are either hit or miss with me, but the promise of films that build off each other and are in the same world is intriguing to me. If I had a large wallet, I'd consider grabbing all of them. I don't know, this just seems like an extremely strong month for Criterion.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I must admit - and that's a crime as a French cinephile - that I'm not a big fan of Demy. I have a hard time entering his world.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Blu-ray purchases:

Best Buy
Philomena $16.99
Anchorman 2 $12.99
Stardust/The Spiderwick Chronicles $7.99

Entertainmart (B2G1 free)

The Children (2008) $7.99
Go (out-of-print) $7.99
Beowulf (2007) Free

Vintage Stock (used my remaining store credit in addition to doing the B2G1 free)

Dr. Strangelove (digibook) $17.99
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (digibook) $11.99
Roadracers (out-of-print) $9.99
An American Werewolf in London Free

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

On order from Amazon:

Mallrats $9.96 (I'll send the Ultraviolet code to W when it arrives)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone/Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets $7.99
Jacob's Ladder $7.50

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Cool. Was going to order Mallrats with the free cash Sears gives me for no reason, but it was back ordered, so got Boiler Room. This is just about as good. Also, considering I got $45 for my Strangelove Digibook (it's OOP too), that's a good price. I'm not sure about the other OOP ones since I don't have experience with them.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Go was released by Sony several years back but Mill Creek got the rights last year (and I imagine any future releases will remove the wealth of extras on the Sony Blu-ray) while Roadracers was an Echo Bridge title that went out of print earlier this month (since they lost the rights to their Miramax titles). The former was starting to become a bit pricey on Amazon while the latter is sure to in the next few months (Amazon sold their remaining stock recently).

The funny thing about Dr. Strangelove was that I had $17.85 left in store credit so if I subtract that from the final price, I really paid 14 cents for it.

And speaking of Echo Bridge losing the rights to Miramax titles, I read on Blu-ray.com that Fortress was going for something like $100 on Amazon. I remember buying it for $5 last fall through Echo Bridge's site.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Pawn Shop ($4.97 per set)
The Sapphire Collection: Braveheart, Gladiator, Saving Private Ryan OOP (I already have another copy of this set, the SPR metalpak, and the Gladiator Steelbook... So I need to Ebay some stuff.)
Patton/The Longest Day/The Sand Pebbles/Tora! Tora! Tora! (already have TTT digibook. May unload it.)

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I redeemed some Disney Movie Rewards points last week and today, Hidalgo arrived.

Also, I got a couple of Oscilloscope DVD's (After Tiller and These Birds Walk) in the mail today. My Circle of Trust subscription ended last year (Reality was the last title I got through that) and I wasn't charged so I guess they were sent for promotional purposes.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I just found out that Enemy and Under the Skin will be getting DVD-only releases in the US. I really don't understand the logic of this decision, seeing these are films that would seek like decent performers on Blu-ray. But then again, I don't understand a lot of the things that A24 (through Lionsgate, who was probably the actual decision maker seeing how they've made a number of recent titles DVD-only) does (such as their heavy emphasis on American teen-aimed cinema while dumping their actually good titles).

Luckily, Enemy will get a Blu-ray release in Canada.

Edit: Under the Skin will be getting a Blu-ray release after all (according to A24's Twitter page) while A24 is attempting to get a Blu-ray of Enemy out later this summer (though probably not day-and-date with the DVD).

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Bought Rocky: Heavyweight collection (all six films) on eBay for $17.99 shipped. Now I have to unload the Rocky I digibook.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Kino Lorber announced yesterday that Marty will hit Blu-ray through them later this year, thanks to a new deal between them and MGM (the Kino Lorber/MGM deal with cover a number of films, the first wave in mid to late 2014 will include this one, Witness for the Prosecution, Paris Blues, Duel at Diablo and The Scalphunters). As a result, another Best Picture winner and Palme d'Or winner (the only film to win both awards) to check off of the "not on Blu-ray yet" list.