The Obituary Thread

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: The Obituary Thread

Post by numbersix »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Why would the American military care so much about honoring Muslim tradition with the most wanted man on the planet? I'm sure it's respectful and all, but come on! This is bin Laden here, not some random terrorist wanna-be.
I guess because the US is doing its best to placate the millions of Muslims around the world by respecting their religion to some degree. If they improperly disposed of fundamentalist Islam's most recognisable figurehead, they would risk just creating more of the same.

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

numbersix wrote:
BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Why would the American military care so much about honoring Muslim tradition with the most wanted man on the planet? I'm sure it's respectful and all, but come on! This is bin Laden here, not some random terrorist wanna-be.
I guess because the US is doing its best to placate the millions of Muslims around the world by respecting their religion to some degree. If they improperly disposed of fundamentalist Islam's most recognisable figurehead, they would risk just creating more of the same.
I agree with this, but burial at sea is extremely ridiculous. Only time Islam uses that is when a person actually dies at sea. However, I am impressed with how Obama has gone about his routine since the news broke out. I especially liked how he handled the Pakistani relations issue.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

But where to place a grave would be a political nightmare. What country would want him? Pakistan wouldn't, and there's more people in Afghanistan who wanted him dead than would want him buried. Burying at sea was being diplomatic.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

yea, i don't see where else you would be able to bury him, i think they did the right thing. Obama has been handling this well, his poll numbers have gotten a really positive spike because of all of this.

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

numbersix wrote:But where to place a grave would be a political nightmare. What country would want him? Pakistan wouldn't, and there's more people in Afghanistan who wanted him dead than would want him buried. Burying at sea was being diplomatic.
I agree with you 100%. Just meant them saying it was in accordance with Muslim teachings was BS. It was highly unlikely anyone would have wanted to have his grave in their country, and cremation is a big no-no, so they did the right thing.

I also think they are doing the right thing by being vague(ish) about his death in terms of video/images. Last thing the US would want is to release those and having said images/videos motivate the terrorists.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

In other dead news... Attack of the 50 Foot Woman, Yvette Vickers has died:
Attack of the 50 Foot Woman star Yvette Vickers has been found dead.

The screen beauty and former Playboy Playmate's body was discovered in her Los Angles home on April 27 by her neighbour, Susan Savage.

It is unclear at present how Vickers died, but her body was in an advanced state of decomposition and unrecognisable to her neighbour.

Vickers' 1920s house in the city's Benedict Canyon area showed signs of neglect with windows broken and boxes filled with clothes and letters littering its interior, while some areas were left exposed to the elements.

Explaining why she went into the house, Savage told the LA Times newspaper: "The letters seemed untouched and were starting to yellow. I just had a bad feeling."

Police attended the 82-year-old star's home and while the Coroner's office will determine the cause of death, they said it appeared Vickers had been dead for months, and foul play is not suspected.

Savage said: "She kept to herself, had friends and seemed like a very independent spirit.

"To the end she still got cards and letter from all over the world requesting photos and still wanting to be her friend."

She also said the death has had an impact on the local community, adding: "We've all been crying about this. Nobody should be left alone like that."

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I don't think not releasing photos or video is the smart thing to do. It doesn't go with what they normally do. If they don't release images, I believe they're covering something up. Not some full-blown "well he's not dead" or "he was dead a long time ago, but they decided to release the information until now" conspiracy theory, but maybe something like his body was dismembered during or post fire fight or something.

I don't know, it just seems like something's being left out to me.

And Attack of the 50 Foot Woman is on my list of films to see. Is it a "must see," a curiosity I shouldn't miss, or none of the above?
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

For me, alongside some of the greats of 50s B Movies, it doesn't hold up. Forbidden Planet, The Thing, The Blob, The Creature From The Black Lagoon and Them! are all classics. 50 Foot Woman, for me at least, sits in the Ed Wood realm of curiousity to see, but hardly essential. Still fun viewing though, just bad fun. If you get my drift...

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Everyone keeps saying that this whole thing will motivate terrorists for revenge. Since when have radical extremist Muslims need good motivation to hate the US and try to attack us? Since 9/11, there has been at least 3 attempted terrorist attacks on our country, and I don't think that number will jump up extremely now as opposed to any other time.

I mean, it's not like they were close to giving up hating Western culture and then this happened and they're all like "OH YEEEEAAAH, we fucking hate America again!!!"
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Besides, Al-Queda is not expected to recover.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Buscemi wrote:Besides, Al-Queda is not expected to recover.
which member of Al-Queda gave you this inside information?
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

It's been mentioned that Bin Laden was so powerful that the line of succession cannot develop a leader as powerful. At this point, it's been claimed that they are scraping the bottom of the barrel.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I think Buscemi is actually Bin Laden, and he is obviously alive and well

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

numbersix wrote:I think Buscemi is actually Bin Laden, and he is obviously alive and well
Wait, what?

Anyway, the next in line for the leader of al-Queda is Ayman al-Zawahri. His weak track record combined with bin Laden's powerfulness and mismanagement of the position has made it difficult for any future ruler to continue the past events. As I said, they are scraping the bottom of the barrel and al-Queda could be on life support.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Even if al-Qaeda is a shell of what it used to be, the Middle East has no shortage of crazy ass extremists who'll keep trying to attack any country they deem worthy of death.

Matter of fact, the U.S. has no shortage of crazy ass extremists either.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife