What are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or close to now. S03E01

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: What are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or close to now. S03E01

Post by Buscemi »

I recently got the new Criterion release of Black Narcissus. Haven't gotten around to checking out the picture yet.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Chienfantome wrote:Oh, and today I've seen a restaured copy of Black Narcissus on the big screen ! SS and Greenarrow made me want to see it, and it just happened that the film was re-released yesterday in Paris, so I took the opportunity ;)
It's quite a film. I am lucky to have seen it in a theater, in a splendid copy, because in terms of visually stunning films, this is definitely an important film. I CANNOT believe this is a film from 1947. It simply amazed me when I was watching it, I just repeated myself "This was not directed in 1947, it's impossible" :shock: I think this is simply one of the most beautiful film I've seen in terms of cinematography. And it's such an intense film. It grows slowly, but it hits with a bang.
Thanks for the recommendation Mr. and Mrs. SS ;)
If you liked that then I seriously recommend checking out other Powell and Pressburger movies (I don't know how many you've seen), such as The Red Shoes, A Matter Of Life And Death and Peeping Tom, a couple of which made my top 100. They have equally stunning and inspiring cinematographies.

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

The Red Shoes shouldn't be difficult catching, I'm sure it's playing somewhere in Paris every once in a while !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

A Matter Of Life And Death is excellent. And The Criterion edition of Black Narcissus is in Santa's sack for me ;)

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

silversurfer19 wrote:
If you liked that then I seriously recommend checking out other Powell and Pressburger movies (I don't know how many you've seen), such as The Red Shoes, A Matter Of Life And Death and Peeping Tom, a couple of which made my top 100. They have equally stunning and inspiring cinematographies.
The Red Shoes is absolutely stunning, everyone should see it! I went through a time (when I was a dancer) that I rented out every single dance related film in our tiny local video store, many repeatedly, The Red Shoes was one I would come back to over and over.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Hey Becs, are you gonna join us for our Top 100 (or Top 50 in your case) films of all time?

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

She's probably afraid of you trashing her choice of Hackers as the greatest film of all-time.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Nothing wrong with Hackers.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

Sadly no, Shryke bugged me about it a couple weeks back, but time is just not going to allow me to participate. I am hoping to spend a little more time back around here regardless, and I peeked in at the top 100 posts (though I only made it thru skimming the first page of the first thread) so maybe I can at least throw out some comments on your picks.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Legion 3/10
This was on instant watch on Netflix and I hope to see 50 films from this year, With watching this, I am now at 48. Anyways, this movie sucked. Completely misguided and way too stupid to be entertaining.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I actually thought Legion was better than the reputation it gets. I wasn't expecting much and ended up being quite surprised. Also, I was actually convinced Dennis Quaid and Lucas Black were father and son (they do look alike). I recently got the Blu Ray for $5 on Amazon.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Green Zone 7/10
Nothing special, but a pretty good action drama. Matt Damon turn in a solid performance.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I'm Still Here - F

Hated, hated, hated it. Completely pointless and stupid. I guess it might've been a little worth it to wonder if it was real, but knowing that it's 100% fake makes this movie irrelevant to anything in the world. What a waste of a year for a talented actor.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

The Tooth Fairy - B-

Didn't expect to like it, or even be able to sit through it, but it had its moments. Funnier than I though, even when it gets SUPER sappy at the end.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

Love and Distrust - 0/5

NEVER RENT THIS MOVIE!! IT IS ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT!! Literally. It's described as a bunch of short vignettes on the topic of love held together, but it's really just a bunch of old short films with people who are now name actors. That may sound fun to watch, but most here aren't that great. "Pennies..." with Amy Adams is easily the best of the bunch, with the James Franco one, "Grasshopper" coming in second. The synopsis makes it sound like "Paris, I Love You", but it's not. It is just a bunch of old shorts not at all held together. Hell, the people on the cover aren't in the movie, the scene on the cover is nowhere near anything in the movie, there's not even anything about love in the movie. It's a rip off from a company that bought a bunch of student films due to the actors, and released them all as one film. Literal shit.