Rate That Movie!

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Rate That Movie!

Post by numbersix »

Whatever Works: 4/10

Not particularly funny, nor interesting. Larry David is a poor actor when he's not playing himself. Evan Rachel Wood actually wasn't bad, but her character was merely a caricature, and when she's that one-dimension there's really no point in caring about her. As NSPan said, the humour derives from the clash between New York arty liberals and southern US conservatives, but clearly sides with the former (when there's plenty of material to poke fun at them) and makes the film feel like a cheap dig at the latter.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

2012 - 8/10

Reaaaally looooong, but still pretty damn good. There's a lot going on at all times, so you never really get bored with one storyline. Chiwetel Ejiofor and John Cusack mainly carry the movie, but Amanda Peet and Oliver Platt also bring some good things to the movie. Keep an eye out for the hilariously bad Arnold Schwarznegger impression by some no-name actor. Epic, in every sense of the word.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

2012 - 6/10.

Watched it last night (yay Australia), and it was pretty much the same copy/paste story of most RE movies.

As always, the acting is mediocre is his movies, but the special effects (which lets face it, is why most people are going) are great.

To put it simply: enjoyable, yet predictably cheesy.

PS: the best thing about this movie was Woody Harrelson.

Theater was FULL, and the crowd seemed to like it, like I said, enjoyable but not exactly the best movie ever made.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Pirate Radio - 9/10

What a great surprise. I didn't expect this to be a full blown comedy, but this movie is amazingly funny most of the time. Everyone brings their A game, esp the manager from Flight of The Conchords and Nick Frost. Ending is very heartfelt and amazing. Loved it.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

2012 - 4/10
I am quite biased, but loved John Cusack & Chiwetel Ejiofor, both did an excellent job of keeping my interested, and the standout role was TOTALLY Woody Harrelson as a somewhat crazy, end of days type guy - I am so thrilled with his comeback to film, he's doing brilliantly. I absolutely hated Oliver Platt and Danny Glover's performances, I felt like I was watching a cheesy made for tv disaster miniseries almost every time they were on the screen.
The story wasn't great, its hard to get care to any character when the entire movie is spent frantically running, with little to no discernable plot beyond the special effect. In fact, I am certain at least an hour of the screen time is spent hopelessly outrunning collapsing ground/debris in cars and planes. However, as a purely special effects extravaganza, it was a fun enough waste of 3 hours (3 HOURS!) to not entirely write it off as a terrible film. Over all though, it was a tear jerker with good special effect special effects, but it felt about the same as Poseidon a couple years ago.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

The White Ribbon 6/10

This is actually a good score for Michael Haneke, who I usually find pretentious beyond belief. Even Cache, which was critically lauded, is a film I found to be ambiguous just for the sake of being ambiguous, and not to represent anything higher. The White Ribbon is similar, in that it follows a sort of whodunnit in early 20th century Germany that never gets solved, because it's about a broader issue: that of parental repression and abuse and how that manifests in the actions of children. But the storytelling is rather poor, especially the story of the protagonist that almost feel superfluous. It is beautifully shot, and I'm sure it'll be nominated for an Oscar for best foreign film, and it may even win, but overall I didn't find it particularly original or that profound.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

The last two movies I saw in theatres:

A Christmas Carol ***/****

This film looks great in the 3-D format. Sure the animation was average (especially since animated Colin Firth looks exactly like real Colin Firth) but Jim Carrey's multiple performances and the technical help it.

The Men Who Stare At Goats ***/****

A briskly-paced political comedy with good performances by everyone. I enjoyed seeing the culture clash of New Age mythology and modern cynicalism mix together to create its story. Only in independent filmmaking could that work.

And on DVD:

Not Quite Hollywood ***.5/****

This was a really good documentary that I didn't want to see end. I loved hearing about the old Ozploitation films and how they created opportunities for people who had dreams of filmmaking (such as George Miller, Peter Weir, Brian Trenchard-Smith and others). My only beef with the film: the decision to include hacks The Spierig Brothers (Undead, Daybreakers) and Jamie Blanks (Urban Legend, Valentine) at the end of the film. But then again, Blanks also co-edited the film so that might explain his appearance. However, they need to explain how the Spierig Brothers made the documentary.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

KeyserSoze
The McMannus Brothers

Post by KeyserSoze »

The wife has 8 sneak preview passes to see Twilight Wednesday night so I'll let everyone know what she thought when she gets home from that fun filled evening.

Saw Men Who Stare at Goats its opening weekend and would give it a 5/10. Nothing special but interesting and funny enough in spots to keep it from being a total washout.

Off to see Pirate Radio tomorrow night, and I can't wait!!!!
Who'd win in a wrestling match, Lemmy or God? Trick question, dickhead. Lemmy is God - Chazz and Rex, Airheads

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

KeyserSoze wrote:The wife has 8 sneak preview passes to see Twilight Wednesday night so I'll let everyone know what she thought when she gets home from that fun filled evening.
umm.. can I come over.. say Wednesday afternoon >.>
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

I'm also watching New Moon Wednsday night, and I'll let your wife know what I think, Keyser.

If ya know what I mean :twisted:

KeyserSoze
The McMannus Brothers

Post by KeyserSoze »

becs wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:The wife has 8 sneak preview passes to see Twilight Wednesday night so I'll let everyone know what she thought when she gets home from that fun filled evening.
Becs - She had an extra pass up until last night when one of her friends canceled, but it sure didn't take her long to find another taker.
Who'd win in a wrestling match, Lemmy or God? Trick question, dickhead. Lemmy is God - Chazz and Rex, Airheads

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

KeyserSoze wrote:
becs wrote:
Becs - She had an extra pass up until last night when one of her friends canceled, but it sure didn't take her long to find another taker.
As Donte would say, I hate people.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

KeyserSoze
The McMannus Brothers

Post by KeyserSoze »

Geezer wrote:
becs wrote: umm.. can I come over.. say Wednesday afternoon >.>
As Donte would say, I hate people.[/quote]

Geez - I hear ya, but I can pretty much guarantee that that entire crowd feels the same way about ESPN as we do about Twilight.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Thank God I have a girlfriend that would rather watch football than Twilight
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

KeyserSoze
The McMannus Brothers

Post by KeyserSoze »

Geezer wrote:Thank God I have a girlfriend that would rather watch football than Twilight
I've got both. Christina hasn't missed going to a home Steeler game in the 10 years we've been together, and I think she's more rabid about hockey than I am, but fortunately, just like me, she can't stand the NBA. As long as I don't have to see Twilight, it works for both of us.