What are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or close to now. S03E01

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Re: What are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or close to now. S03E01

Post by Ron Burgundy »

I went on a bit of an action bender and watched:

Rambo 2 8.5/10
Some of the best raw 80s action, combined with some good one liners an Sly Stallone in fine form. Its so fun to watch, im mean he shoots down a fkn helicopter!

Predator 10/10
I can easily say that this is my fav from Arnie, great lines, epic testorone filled action, an almost unbeatable villian and some of the best characters for an action movie ever. Still haven't watched Predators, but i will very soon. An interesting point, this and rambo 2 both mentioned the word 'expendable'!

Rambo 3 7.5/10
Again, more macho manly action, with Sly being tougher than ever! I didn't like it that much the first time around, but watching it again has restored my faith that Rambo can do no wrong. His grunts are hilarious.

True Lies 9.5/10

Great flick, Jamie Lee Curtis has a steamy scene, wow.Bill Paxton is funny, so too Tom Arnold. With some terrific lines from Arnie once more.

And then to tone it down...

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou 7.5/10
What a cast. Started off slow, but ended well. Bill Murray is still one of my favs, and Willem Dafoe is tops. A bit of a weird story but still had some great moments. For some reason Cate Blanchett looked hot, which i haven't seen before. Subtle humour.
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:I watched probably one of the best movies I've ever seen - Rear Window.

Is all Hitchcock this amazing? I hope I didn't start with the best and then I'm gonna be disappointed with all his others.

10/10
In my opinion, and I've seen like 15 or so of his movies, Rear Window is indeed his best. But that doesn't mean you will be disappointed. So many of his films are of such high quality. Glad to see you finally sit down and watch the master at work, instead of wasting your time with Paranormal Activity :twisted:
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Rear Window was also the first film i saw from Hitchcock about 3 years ago, but ive only seen Vertigo and North by Northwest since. Im ashamed to have not seen Psycho yet, even though its sitting in my room right now...

Tried to watch NIco: Above the law last night, only got halfway
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

Finally watched Choke... what a letdown :( The movie was okay, but I absolutely loved the book, so I was hoping there would be a little bit of the same qualities to it. It had the major plot points, but that was about it. 5/10

Edit: Also, almost done reading Fight Club as well... much better than the film, but a closer representation of the literary intent is there for sure.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I checked out Frank Cottrell Boyce's book Millions from the school library. I didn't even know this was a book before it was a movie.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Donte77
Kirk Lazarus

Post by Donte77 »

becs wrote:Finally watched Choke... what a letdown The movie was okay, but I absolutely loved the book, so I was hoping there would be a little bit of the same qualities to it. It had the major plot points, but that was about it. 5/10

Edit: Also, almost done reading Fight Club as well... much better than the film, but a closer representation of the literary intent is there for sure.
I liked the movie Choke but mostly because of Sam Rockwell who I love. A lot of Palahniuk's work is tough to translate into a 90 minute movie. Some books and writers just don't work well with the big screen.
"I highly suspected I was becoming a legend." Ignatius J. Riley

"If Transporter 3 was better than TDK then the first Transporter was the filmic equivalent of doing heroin while getting a Bl** J** from god." Me

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Survivor would make for an incredible film. As for Fight Club, I thought the movie missed the entire point of the ending--thus ruining the experience for me (though it was an incredible adaptation up until that point). So, I highly recommend the book to anyone who was intrigued by the film. And, with Choke, I thought the movie actually came together better than the book. It maintained a certain charm that I didn't get when reading it, ya kennit? The pairing of Sam Rockwell with Anjelica Huston was perfect. Even Brad William Henke really grew on me after that movie (and you thought he was big to begin with).
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

On Fight Club:

Actually, I read that Palahniuk preferred the movie's ending over the book's ending. In fact, he supposedly said that readers should not to read his book as he felt the movie did everything from the book a lot better than he could.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Out Cold 8/10
I laughed my ass off at this movie plain and simple. Very, very funny and I can't believe it took me this long to see it.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Buscemi wrote:On Fight Club:

Actually, I read that Palahniuk preferred the movie's ending over the book's ending. In fact, he supposedly said that readers should not to read his book as he felt the movie did everything from the book a lot better than he could.
As he was handed wads of cash from Fox to promote the film?

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Buscemi wrote:On Fight Club:

I could elaborate and provide countless examples to back it up, but I'll just say: NEVER trust an artist's opinion of their own work.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Just finished watching Wings Of Desire - 8/10. Man, that was a difficult movie to critique, and I don't think I grasped even half of the theories going on in it. Visually it's stunning, one of the most beautiful pieces of cinematography I've ever seen. I loved the German expressionist tint to the black and white angel scenes, which is then replaced with the sun drenched colour of the last half hour. At times is felt like an art project, which at times was frustrating, other times sublimely immersing me into the world. Regarding the narrative, it wasn't that easy to get into a first, both myself and Helena struggled to get through the first hour without becoming distracted, mainly due to the style of direction, in which the camera merely follows the angel around as he listens in on human thoughts. However, once I'd gotten through that period, and we start hearing the angel's thoughts and desires, it blatanly becomes clear why the opening is filmed as it was and my overall impression of it raised significantly. I don't think I've ever experienced a movie in that way, oscillating so greatly from confusion and distraction to an overwhelming sense of euphoria. I loved the idea of following the dying man, as he was approaching death and so the angels had a greater connection to him. And the suicide scene was amazing, seeing the angel in so much despair as the human threw away his life which the angel cherished so much. Oh, and I loved the Nick Cave and Crime and the City Solution scenes. It really was quite brilliant. It will probably need numerous watches to start to bring together my thoughts on the film as a whole, but from my initial viewing I can certainly see why it has gained so much acclaim over the years. A few questions though, which a couple of you may be able to answer: Why did the movie momentarily switch to colour in the opening hour (the caravan scene with the girl, the launderette scene)?, What was the other angel's role and did he not want to join the mortal world? Not the easiest of movie's to get into, but if you can, you won't be left disappointed.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I just watched it recently and hada very similar experience. I will certainly be watching it again. Didn't you just love Peter Falk's role in it?

Can't explain the colour scenes, unless it's some indication of pure "human" passion, perhaps? As for the other angel, I presume his function as a character was to offer a counter-point to the Bruno Ganz protagonist. He's the voice of the norm of angel-kind, accepting his role as observer of thoughts. I think the angels who do join humankind are sort of rebelling, going against the norm, so the other angel represented that.

I was in Berlin a few weeks ago. Sadly, the monument that Ganz looks over Berlin on was under construction. I did go to the Berlin Filmmuseum and it has the armour worn by the angels!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Your colour metaphor seems to fit, I was thinking it was maybe when the angels were engaging with the humans, which kind of fit, but I don't think it happened on every occasion. And Peter Falk was great. I loved it when the woman is speaking to him and referring to him as lieutenant, and the hat scenes too! Ah, he was so cool!!

I was just reading something before and someone commented on the "to be continued" at the end of the movie. I don't know if there was ever a sequel, but he mentioned that in the original idea (there for no clear script per se to work from, more a storyboard of ideas), the movie was supposed to be split in two halves, one in b/w one half in colour, but Wenders ran out of money to complete the colour segment. In that segment the other angel was supposed to become mortal also, running through the streets screaming and shouting and paritcipating in sex, drinking etc, lots of the other side of human life as compared to Bruno Ganz's character. Kind of feels like I've missed half the film now, which is deflating, but I don't think it has affected my judgement on the movie. That monument was iconic wasn't it? It just held some kind of grandeur over the movie, like something from Metropolis.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

There was a sequel. It's called Faraway, So Close.