Rate That Movie!

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: Rate That Movie!

Post by Geezer »

I guess that could be argued, W, and its probably true. I just think its more concrete than something like funny.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Geezer wrote:I don't quite get your arguement.
Because even PA's strongest proponents have admitted that it's a very non-traditional approach to film-making. Its definition as a "movie" in the common use of the word has even been brought into question. Hitchcock, on the other hand, has become the archetype of "traditional" film-making.

You really don't see my point? It's like we're talking about the improv poetry we saw at the coffee-house last night--and you say that "Anyone who enjoyed anything about that coffee-house should check out John Milton's 'Paradise Lost' in order to experience authentic blank verse from the master of 17th-century poetry!"

It's just irrelevant. And, in a way, it's a cheap shot at anyone who said anything positive about their experience at the coffee-shop. I think you're working too hard to explain why people shouldn't like this movie. But nobody is refuting the fact that this particular film just isn't for everybody. A lot of people aren't gonna get it--and that's fine. Personally, I don't think PA--despite its merits--deserved the amount of discussion we've given it.

Disclaimer: NSpan doesn't patronize coffee-houses. And he shoots improv-poets on sight.
Last edited by NSpan on November 7th, 2009, 4:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I don't think I'll be seeing this film for a couple of reasons:

1. I'm not really a fan of the horror genre. Horror-thrillers, horror comedies, I am, but a straight "I'm trying to scare you" though you know its not real isn't really what I like.

and

2. I thought Blair Witch was horrible.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I simply believe that there are certain techniques and elements involved in building suspense that no matter what style of film making you are using, if these elements are missing, you fail in your goal. I'm not saying that PA should have been filmed in a traditional narrative style, I'm saying it lacked the fundamental elements necessary to create a suspenseful environment, something that Hitchcock was a master of doing. Of course, as W said, I guess different people can find suspense in different things.

It may not deserve the amount of discussion we have given it, but its fun to be able to bash a film sometimes and support my opinion. Really I'm just counterpunching the supporters. I love a good debate and could continue way longer regardless of whether something deserves it or not. Its not often I see a movie that I HATE, so when I do, and its a movie that has been so beloved and has had a lot of attention payed to it by the public, its fun for me to try and explain to them why they are wrong. And if that makes me wrong, so be it.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Geezer wrote:I don't think the Beatles set out to make techno rave music.
And nor did Hitchcock set out to make a throwaway faux-documentary thrill-ride experience.

I mean, they could set up a stage at an amusement park and show Paranormal Activity once a year around Halloween and people could simply experience it the way they do the Terminator: Battle Across Time movie/ride.

My only quibble with your argument is this: in implying that anyone who disagrees with you either (A) doesn't understand or (B) doesn't appreciate ALFRED freakin' HITCHCOCK is quite a stretch of the imagination and, as I said, both a red herring and a cheap shot.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Christmas Carol - 5/10

Great animation, especially in 3-D. But it turned into just another brightly-dressed Jim Carrey vehicle, with more interest in animated hubris than in telling an engaging story, even one as familiar as this.

My review is up, if you want to check that out.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

NSpan wrote:
Geezer wrote:I don't think the Beatles set out to make techno rave music.
And nor did Hitchcock set out to make a throwaway faux-documentary thrill-ride experience.

I mean, they could set up a stage at an amusement park and show Paranormal Activity once a year around Halloween and people could simply experience it the way they do the Terminator: Battle Across Time movie/ride.

My only quibble with your argument is this: in implying that anyone who disagrees with you either (A) doesn't understand or (B) doesn't appreciate ALFRED freakin' HITCHCOCK is quite a stretch of the imagination and, as I said, both a red herring and a cheap shot.
Good point, but I was responding to Banks (who I know for a fact does not watch a lot of older movies, he's admitted as such), and I think it was just as much of a cheap shot for him to say I didn't like PA simply because they didn't think to close the door. I'll take back what I said about Hitchcock, but my other arguments remain the same.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Deal. ;)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

And what you call a throwaway faux documentary experience, many are calling the greatest horror film in at least a decade...

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

and Crash was voted "Best Picture of 2004"... whatcha gonna do...

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Ya know its funny you mention Crash, because when I think about it, that is the last movie I watched that I thought was this terrible.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I didn't see Paranormal Activity as being like Blair Witch. I saw it as being Poltergeist for the modern age.

But also, I didn't see the similarities between Wonka and Michael Jackson in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (he was more like a young Michael Keaton than Michael Jackson).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I still don't think knowledge, or lack thereof, of Alfred Hitchcock films should really affect every movie you see. Yeah, I'm sure Hitchcock was great at what he did, but just because PA doesn't follow his formula, does not mean it cannot build suspense. That's like saying someone can't make a great crime film without copying Scarface or Heat, beat-by-beat.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

The Men Who Stare at Goats 5/10

While the trailer seemed amusing there realy wasn't much else to the film. There's the scraps of a plot but mostly it's a gently funny film about military insanity. But even though the film spends the first 2 acts mocking the delusions of these soldiers, it spends the rest lauding their belief as something that will stop wars and cause peace? Yeah right, wishful thinking if I've ever seen it.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

The Road 7/10 - i'll give a little mini review tomorrow