What Are You Watching Right Now? Episode 3 - Turtles in Time

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: What Are You Watching Right Now? Episode 3 - Turtles in

Post by Buscemi2 »

One of the best shot movies ever. I also now realize why this was initially released with an "adults only" tag and how I shouldn't have been able to see this as an eight year-old (on the other hand, it did teach me the importance of seeing movies in their original aspect ratio). Mike Nichols' intelligent sex comedy has excellent performances (how did Anne Bancroft not win an Oscar that year?) and does the concept of bored youth coming of age far better than most films ever could. You don't need to be raunchy to make a film about sexuality and love (or at least how one perceives love as). Here, it's a smart script and quality actors (the number of actors who are familiar for other things is impressive, such as Mr. Feeney from Boy Meets World and the villain from the first Addams Family movie as Ben's parents and the mayor from Jaws as Mr. Robinson). And the Simon and Garfunkel material sounds amazing from a theatre sound system.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Freddy (then Fred) Krueger's first slashing through dreams. Not my favorite of his adventures (I'm more into his wisecracking forays) but it's still one of the better entries as Craven focuses on making the concept of killing through sleep an absolutely terrifying one. Maybe that's why I hated sleeping when I was a teenager. But watching it again also made me realize the camp elements of the story, such as Ronee Blakeley's drunken stupor or any moment with the parents. And I now want that cat poster on the sleep doctor's wall.

In the end, a strong start for the franchise but not my go-to in terms of Freddy scares.

Up next: Alien.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

When Spielberg did horror. Teaming up with Tobe Hooper (giving the latter his most polished film), this tale of supernatural gives us the family themes often prevalent in the former's work with one of the more intense depictions of ghosts in film. This movie doesn't shy away from showing how terrifying a haunted house can be. A lot of this film's strengths come from showing how scary and pissed off these apparitions are. Even though you have to wait like the best horror films for the scares, Spielberg and Hooper deliver on the goods. Also, when you keep in mind the supposed curse that exists with the film, it actually makes the film's themes of life and death much more poignant. Most notably, the scene early in the film when Carol Anne's pet parakeet dies and she finds out. I'll leave it at that.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I had to see this in a theatre before Disney pulled it from theatrical distribution (after Wednesday, the only Fox title that can be booked into US theatres is The Rocky Horror Picture Show) and it might actually be a better film than I remember it being. I still like Aliens more but the way that Ridley Scott (back when he still tried to be make good movies) builds up the action and tension is quite something. You wouldn't see this kind of film made today, as it would have neither the practicality or focus on character building and the element of surprise to create terror. It would be more about the hope of a sequel than making sure you make the $9 worth it for the viewer. And you know they would do something foolish like cast Ryan Reynolds in the lead like in that Alien ripoff from a few years back.

I would have an even better theatrical experience if not for the large family that came in late and insisted on sitting in my row, with junior high kids (for some reason, there were a lot of kids at my showing) laughing during nearly every moment, vocally expressing disgust during the more graphic bits, and making comments about Ripley's skimpy panties (the father of the brood even told the kids not to look). They even had some weird thing about smelling popcorn butter. Why does there have to be some issue for me when watching an Alien movie in a theatre?

Up next: An American Werewolf in London.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

One of the few horror-comedies to be successful at the box office, John Landis' morbid take on The Wolf Man serves as both an excellent example of practical movie effects (it won the first Best Makeup Oscar) and a time capsule of early 1980's London. David Naughton is a likeable presence as the titular werewolf while Jenny Agutter is striking as the nurse he falls in love with. But it's Griffin Dunne that steals the show as Naughton's undead friend who is doomed to his fate unless the werewolf's blood line is severed.

I saw that in the past few years, there have been plans to remake this. I hope not. We saw how bad the sequel was with the CG werewolves.

Up next: The Mummy (1999).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

When I first saw this, I was rather indifferent towards it. Seeing it again twenty years later, I find a lot better. Basically, it's Indiana Jones and the Army of Darkness but with Stephen Sommers at the helm and Brendan Fraser as our hero, the end result manages to be a fun popcorn movie that doesn't feel like a retread at all. There's almost always something happening in every minute of the film, which is more than you can say about the modern action film. It's also the first time I recall seeing Rachel Weisz in a film (I'd imagine it was for most general audiences as well, assuming they didn't see Chain Reaction).

I also didn't really realize the effect this film had on audiences. The showing I went to have audiences dressing up in character, quoting lines as the characters said them, and just having the time of their lives with the action and humor. You'd think someone would take notes and offer Sommers a shot at a comeback. Fraser's getting his due again with Doom Patrol. Why not a guy who can do an entertaining summer movie?

Up next: Candyman.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

90's horror seems to get a bad rap from the more vocal members of the horror community. A lot of it seems to be that many of the films got classier and the villains became more charismatic while said fans love them trashy and dirty. Candyman is an atypical slasher film. Between drawing from an untraditional genre director (Bernard Rose, who later directed Immortal Beloved and adapted Tolstoy a few times) and mixing the UK-style macabre with a gritty inner city setting, Candyman is a cut above your typical indie genre film. It is somewhat operatic with its tragic titular character, who while being a sadist, is also somewhat sympathetic through his origin story. You don't get that with a Freddy Krueger or a Jigsaw. Rose's direction also gives the film an artistic flair, showing that there was a lot more work put into the proceedings than your normal horror cash-in. They even shot some scenes at the notorious Cabrini-Green projects. That certainly took some balls.

Proof that one should go beyond the rose-colored glasses of some overgrown gorehounds.

Up next: The Invisible Man.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

An on-the-road double feature.

ImageImage

One is a coming-of-age tale about a fawn and his woodland friends. The other is a coming-of-age tale set at a fat camp. Both are Disney and involve the outdoors. But other than that, they are dissimilar movies. Bambi is essential viewing for children. It seems to get made fun for its content but kids need to see it at least once. The film teaches us important lessons on life, friendship, and growing up. Meanwhile, Heavyweights is escapist fun with a good message: be true to yourself. More or less, it's a feature-length Ben Stiller Show sketch directed by the guy who created The Mighty Ducks but Stiller at his peak (as well as other people, such as a pre-Bridesmaids Paul Feig as one of the counselors) makes the movie worth so many repeat viewings. I probably have half the script memorized.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Had myself a little hotel room triple bill last night.

ImageImageImage

I'm officially convinced that Con Air might be the magnum opus of Jerry Bruckheimer productions. The fact that it doesn't take itself seriously at all and is very much self-aware of how ridiculous it is, plus the strength of its cast, makes it one of the best cinematic rides of the 90's. Simon West, who peaked with his first film here, even gets us to be emotional at the end (I firmly believe How I Do Live? should have won Best Original Song that year at the Oscars).

As for the other two movies, Point Break needs no introduction. Kathryn Bigelow directs some excellent action scenes and makes what could have been a disposable action film have some meaning. It's far better than any Fast & Furious movie. And I can truly say that in my opinion, Predator 2 is the best Predator movie.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Morning hotel room movie.

It's strictly formula but Tom Hanks and a mastiff solving the murder of the latter's owner is strangely enjoyable. Maybe I just have fond memories of it as it was one of the first movies I remember renting. But when comparing it to the other 1989 cop/dog buddy movie (K-9), it's a much superior film. And yes, you will probably cry when the dog gets it.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Buscemi2 wrote:I'm officially convinced that Con Air might be the magnum opus of Jerry Bruckheimer productions. The fact that it doesn't take itself seriously at all and is very much self-aware of how ridiculous it is, plus the strength of its cast, makes it one of the best cinematic rides of the 90's.
I love the Hollywood action films from the late 90's. Watched them on the big screen back then and had a blast with them, including this one indeed.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Last night's hotel room triple feature and today's road trip double feature.

ImageImageImage

ImageImage

If Con Air is the best Bruckheimer movie, The Rock takes second. Michael Bay, who isn't as bad of a filmmaker as many say, is perfectly at home with this hostage thriller where a desk jockey chemist and an imprisoned British Intelligence agent must save San Francisco from a group of mercenaries. Between a strong ensemble cast, lots of fast-paced action, and a one-liner heavy script, these 136 minutes feel much shorter, unlike Bay's later Transformers movies. A lot of why The Rock works is Nicolas Cage, who between this and Con Air, followed the Bruce Willis model of the everyman hero perhaps better than Willis did. No wonder why Reddit calls him their One True God.

Dead Presidents might be the best Vietnam film hardly anyone knows about. A mix of Goodfellas, A Bronx Tale, and Platoon, The Hughes Brothers' follow-up to Menace II Society is bloody, intense, and might one of the better examples of the 70's throwback. Though only about one-third of the film is in Vietnam, a lot of it involves the after effects and the desperate measures people will take to improve their lives after impactful events. The bank robbery that serves as the third act rivals Reservoir Dogs in terms of violence and emotion. And Cleon (Bokeem Woodbine's character) might be one of the most fucked up characters ever in a film.

Finishing up Friday night, Ravenous was a little-seen historical horror/dark comedy that came out in 1999 but has developed a following in recent years through home video. The late Antonia Bird brings atmosphere and some artistic flair to a film that could have easily been a disposable quickie but has a strong ensemble cast led by Guy Pearce to help create something more. And despite the film's pro-vegetarianism message, it does not hit you over the head with it. In fact, I have a feeling more than a few viewers became hungry for some stew afterwards.

And today's two movies, we know about Dumbo. It's short and sweet and has a cute elephant (plus a talking mouse, clowns that serve as Disney's ire for unions, and some racist depictions of crows). Watching this again got be to compare it to Tim Burton's recent remake. Burton, who along with John August added a number of new things, made an underrated film. But I'm still going to have to say the original's better. The animation still holds up and its ability to tell such a universal story in just over an hour makes it an easier watch.

Lastly, I'm convinced Dick Tracy, along with Ang Lee's Hulk, is the most unfairly maligned comic book adaptation ever. A massive, pre-MCU battle of Dick vs. nearly every villain Chester Gould's series had, Dick Tracy is a beautifully made film with an enormous cast and an everything but the kitchen sink approach to filmmaking (Danny Elfman did the music, Vittorio Storaro lensed it, Stephen Sondheim wrote the Madonna songs, etc.). It's exciting, fun, and its embrace of the gruesome makes it quite the ride. And it won some Oscars. Of course, the film's box office disappointment and Warren Beatty sitting on the rights (plus, the whole "does it or doesn't it" debate over the existence of the director's cut) seems to have caused this one to slip under the cracks or even get hated on. Dick Tracy deserves more love and respect as a film.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I hope you're not driving while watching these movies.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'm the passenger.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Perhaps the most diabolical of the Universal Monsters, The Invisible Man has Claude Rains become a bloodthirsty killer after an experiment gone wrong. The special effects still work 86 years later and there's a certain romanticism with The Invisible Man, making him somewhat sympathetic even though he is a murderous sociopath that uses everyone around him. Seeing that James Whale directed it, it does feel like Frankenstein but The Invisible Man cuts out the middle-man by having the scientist do the dirty work himself.

I have to wonder how Leigh Whannell will approach the new one when we see it in February. Surprised we haven't gotten a trailer yet.

Up next: Back to the Future.