What Are You Watching Right Now? Episode 3 - Turtles in Time

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Re: What Are You Watching Right Now? Episode 3 - Turtles in

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Is it Arnie's biggest ever movie? When i see Terminator 2 i see the peak of his (acting) career
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Yes, it's still his most successful film.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

I've been watching a decent amount of stuff lately, even got hooked on some youtube channels, that movie junkies is pretty cool, has anyone seen it?

But right now, im re- watching Network (1976), i tried the other night it ended up with me just finding the "mad as hell" rant, tonight im seeing it fully, bout halfway through, really ahead of its time in its themes of politics power people and propaganda. Also, the first posthumous oscar awarded. Im not sure what im more impressed by, the direction from Sidney Lumet, the acting from Peter Finch or Faye Dunaway or the writing from Paddy Chayefsky.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Ray Harryhausen's swan song as a visual effects artist feels much more like a movie from the 1960's rather than 1981. And that might be why this is so entertaining. The retro charm (while also still having some influence from Star Wars, see the R2-D2-like owl Bubo, for example) combined with the classy acting (Laurence Olivier is Zeus, Maggie Smith is the film's antagonist) makes this a bit more refined than many of the PG-rated movies that would shape the 80's. It's also far superior to the dreadful, 300-inspired remake from 2010 (you know, the one that didn't have Bubo play a role in the story).

Up next: The Breakfast Club (still).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

#45 in my Criterion Challenge.

I watched the favorite movie of people who peaked in high school in a theatre and though I still think it's overpraised, it is better than most of the teen-aimed films of the era. People hail the film for realism but there are moments that are a little too out there (the depiction of weed as being like an upper made me wonder if a square like John Hughes ever smoked). I also think they should have told the movie from Allison's perspective and made you wonder what's true and what's not. Of course, there is a reason why Star Wars wasn't told from R2-D2's viewpoint.

But I've already said enough in the past about the film and its impact.

Up next: Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

If Marilyn Monroe did a Hammer film and James Cameron directed it. It seems as if this film only gets hated because Joss Whedon hated it for not being like his ultra-serious interpretation he had in mind for his early drafts. I hate to break it to you but Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a concept that best works as a parody. The idea is so ridiculous that it's hard to bring it up with a straight face but the film works because it's done so affectionately. Serving as both a criticism of Valley Girl culture (three years before Clueless) and as a tribute to classic horror cinema, the film is smarter than anyone gives it credit for. It's also a reminder that it's okay to be tongue-in-cheek and still have a progressive main character (some are going to focus on Buffy being a stereotype but it's really a facade, much like Veronica in Heathers, look deeper and she's a strong action heroine).

Up next: Jackie Brown.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Tarantino's most underappreciated film. While Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, and his more recent Oscar winning films get much of the attention, his only adaptation to date is the rare example of a less is more approach from him. Using long takes and mixing long sequences with a show don't tell structure, it's probably Tarantino's most subtle film. And after the complex Pulp Fiction, what was so wrong about Quentin Tarantino going with a simpler concept?

Anyway, I don't think Pam Grier or Robert Forster's performances get talked about enough. Both give excellent performances and show Tarantino's ability at directing actors (it also helps that Tarantino happens to be a major admirer of their bodies of work). And I spent this viewing wishing that Tarantino would work with Michael Keaton again. Maybe if that R-rated Star Trek movie ever gets made. Also, Bridget Fonda should come out of retirement and do a new movie.

The film runs over two and a half hour but the pacing is so good that it feels much shorter. Funny that movies are getting longer but they can't get the pacing right most of the time.

Up next: Kiki's Delivery Service.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The exact opposite of how audiences view witches in cinema. Rather than ugly hags hiding under beautiful women, scapegoats of religious extremism, or heavily-analyzed figures named Glinda, our witch is a young girl with a head full of dreams and a talking cat. And rather than a horror film where the witch is a figure of scorn, Kiki is a hopeful figure who uses her powers to help others. Miyazaki tells us that there is nothing to be afraid of but sometimes, we need time for ourselves. A life of servitude isn't worthwhile unless you have time to serve yourself.

I also notice some similarities between this and Porco Rosso (as well as Castle in the Sky). Did Miyazaki have a Europe obsession during this time? I'm wondering this as all three have elements of European culture included with the themes of flight and the early-to-mid 20th century. It makes a bit of a trilogy similar to Carpenter's Apocalypse Trilogy in which the themes are similar but are otherwise unconnected.

Up next: My Neighbor Totoro.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Yes, Miyazaki often references Europe in his films, in terms of geography notably.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Ok thats it, if we are not to make a new thread which boosh can hijack, i will simply have to comment on every film he watches

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Kikis Delivery Service

I only seen it once, its slightly inferior to Laputa but still really good. And if you wanna make a trilogy, id say Castle of Cagliostro is even more in this vein of what you suggest.
Seriously though Miyazaki is a bit of a genius.

6.5/10

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Sorry to hijack this thread yet again.

My second Miyazaki film in a row, it's easily one of his most charming films and the one that made him an international name (thanks, ironically, to Troma and that dreadful dub they released in 1993). I watched this in its original Japanese and I think any debate over which dub is the best can be put to rest by just taking a third option. Miyazaki's film is simple and unpretentious but also has a sense of imagination lacking in cinema today (I saw that this was recently a big hit in China, thirty years after its original release). You just don't see filmmakers creating characters like Totoro and Catbus and those little soot balls nowadays. There's also a sense of emotion in the story, which for a film that's made over a billion in merchandising is quite amazing. There are not many films that can claim to do both.

Up next: Gladiator.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Ah, i'll let you off, this time ;)

My Neighbor Totoro
Weirdly enough i was reading about this in our little top 100 countdown last night. I think Chien picked it in his top 15. Sorry Chien, while i leaned Japanese, i cant remember much. And my lil bros preference to dubbed movies is my top excuse.
I have seen this twice but for my fav5 Miyazaki films, the least seen amongst them all- for good reason- saving it for a good occasion.
Interesting you mention the emotion and merchandising (over a billion?! are u sure), not something spoken of often. Third option?
Not sure but did Miyazaki influence anything Pixar?
8/10

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'm going to keep this one short as I got into it with a Jesus freak lady over whether or not to show Unplanned in our Film Club (it seems like most everyone's on my side as I cited the bad reviews and Pure Flix distributing). Some people can't take no for an answer.

Gladiator is basically the bridge between the sword-and-sandal movies of old (Ben-Hur, Spartacus, the Samuel Bronston epics) and the modern-day historical epic. There are lots of modern-day effects (some of which haven't held up) but most of the hallmarks of the classic epic remain. Ridley Scott (back when he was still trying) shows enthusiasm for these classics while putting his own spin on the genre. Though most everyone focuses on the gladiator battles (I'd forgotten how bloody and intense they were), I feel the film's strengths lay in developing the characters. The story is almost Shakespearean in tone and combined with the excellent production and costume design, creates a vast cinematic world that keeps you interested.

Not my personal choice for Best Picture that year (I'd have gone with Traffic), but I don't mind it having the Oscar.

Up next: Pee-wee's Big Adventure.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Gladiator - 9/10
One of my all time favs. Arguably Russell Crowe's best role. You mention this film has character development, i wonder what six has to say about that.
Also thought on repeat viewings Joaquin Phoenix is really good in this, so too Richard Harris, though he doesn't have much screen time.