Rate That Movie Part IV: Movies Never Sleep

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

Re: Rate That Movie Part IV: Movies Never Sleep

Post by W »

I don't understand the Aquaman love. It was pretty boring with crappy dialogue and no chemistry between the leads.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

W wrote:I don't understand the Aquaman love. It was pretty boring with crappy dialogue and no chemistry between the leads.
I know !!!!!!!!!
Fluctuat nec mergitur

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

W wrote:... crappy dialogue and no chemistry between the leads.
So much this, there was absolutely nothing between momoa and the red head. I kept being reminded of Valerian.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Aquaman looks terrible. Not suprised by the mixed reception on here.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Valerian is almost a masterpiece compared to Aquaman.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I dug Aquaman quite a bit actually. The worldbuilding, effects and action scenes really impressed me. If I was a bigger fan of unapologetically corny fantasy movies, it probably would've been among my favorites of the year.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

The Upside

Full disclosure: I have not seen the original, so this is my introduction to this story.

I didn't think that this was as bad as reviews had said. It was entertaining, and most of the performances were good. It's definitely more of a comedy than some of the marketing has made it out to be. It somewhat reminds me of a lighter version of Silver Linings Playbook, in that both characters start in a dark place and help each other to enjoy life again. This is definitely more of a comedy than that was, however. Only thing I really disliked was the use of handheld "shaky-cam" filming, but that's more because it gives me a headache than anything else. The film is also a bit long, and some of the lines are obviously edited out, which leads to gaps in speech (mostly in a scene about Cranston's ability to "perform"), but these are relatively minor issues. I also would have liked to know a bit more about Hart's past.

7.5 out of 10

Image courtesy of -

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

A Dog's Way Home 4/10

An inoffensive movie that's basically A Dog's Purpose without the reincarnation elements. But unlike that film, this one has a knock-off quality to it. Though some chances are taken with this film, the dreadful CGI that populates the film makes you forget that a few new things are being tried and instead gets you to realize that it's not any different than other dog movies.

I have to wonder if A Dog's Journey will be the exact same thing a third time.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Glass - 9/10

Screw what the critics say - I LOVED this. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since I stepped out of the theater.

MNS creates an amazing trilogy-capper to Unbreakable and Split, which includes a typical Shyamalan twist that I didn't see coming.

All three of the primary actors slip seamlessly back into their roles as Elijah, David and The Horde. It won't happen, but McAvoy should at least be mentioned for Best Actor for playing so many different "roles" so well.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Gosh darn, feels like i havent posted here in years.

Anyhoo, here my thoughts on the 2 films i saw in the last month. After all this time i spent in the most remote desert community in Australia, i come back a bunch of turds in the cinemas, in the wind.

Just so u know, i skipped Holmes and Watson, my lil bro and I couldnt bring ourselves to see our two favourite funny men duo grate a horrific memory into our brains.

Aquaman
Rating: 3/10
Audience: 80% full one week into release.
Pros: Ridiculously good looking scenery, excellent CGI (except for 1 part, read below), sound mixing and editing.
Cons: Script, Plot, Villians, Backstory, Use of CGI on faces (Thanks Star Wars/Disney), overuse of Rehashed ideas from other films
Summary: My family either were going to see this or Wreck it Ralph 2, i pleaded my case for Ralph, but i was a lone wolf. In the end, nobody really liked Aquaman. I thought the DC comics teams were finally going to bring us something worth seeing. But no, they have failed again. I dont care if its a successful film, they are dragging down the quality of cinema for me and everyone else, making us pay to see crap like this again and again. You fucks.

Glass
Rating: 6/10
Audience: 40% full days into release
Pros: Acting, Atmosphere
Cons: Not enough action, some minor plot holes, screen time of David (Bruce Willis)
Summary: I was one of those people who did not see Split (or the Horde) coming, so expectations played a role in that, and in this. My expectations were sky high for this one, and that was probably my undoing- even though i didnt read a single review and had only seen the trailer. While the film wasnt bad, it didnt have enough badass interaction between this leads- or even petty cops trying to quell the superhuman characters. The final stanza sets up your M.Night twist, which like shryke- i didnt see coming- mainly because of clever misdirection and your usual "no clue or seed sown" plot device thrown in to tie things up nice and neatly.
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Ron Burgundy wrote:Gosh darn, feels like i havent posted here in years.

Anyhoo, here my thoughts on the 2 films i saw in the last month. After all this time i spent in the most remote desert community in Australia, i come back a bunch of turds in the cinemas, in the wind.

Just so u know, i skipped Holmes and Watson, my lil bro and I couldnt bring ourselves to see our two favourite funny men duo grate a horrific memory into our brains.

Aquaman
Rating: 3/10
Audience: 80% full one week into release.
Pros: Ridiculously good looking scenery, excellent CGI (except for 1 part, read below), sound mixing and editing.
Cons: Script, Plot, Villians, Backstory, Use of CGI on faces (Thanks Star Wars/Disney), overuse of Rehashed ideas from other films
Summary: My family either were going to see this or Wreck it Ralph 2, i pleaded my case for Ralph, but i was a lone wolf. In the end, nobody really liked Aquaman. I thought the DC comics teams were finally going to bring us something worth seeing. But no, they have failed again. I dont care if its a successful film, they are dragging down the quality of cinema for me and everyone else, making us pay to see crap like this again and again. You fucks.

Glass
Rating: 6/10
Audience: 40% full days into release
Pros: Acting, Atmosphere
Cons: Not enough action, some minor plot holes, screen time of David (Bruce Willis)
Summary: I was one of those people who did not see Split (or the Horde) coming, so expectations played a role in that, and in this. My expectations were sky high for this one, and that was probably my undoing- even though i didnt read a single review and had only seen the trailer. While the film wasnt bad, it didnt have enough badass interaction between this leads- or even petty cops trying to quell the superhuman characters. The final stanza sets up your M.Night twist, which like shryke- i didnt see coming- mainly because of clever misdirection and your usual "no clue or seed sown" plot device thrown in to tie things up nice and neatly.

I don't know what to think of Glass. The ending feels very out of place.

Image courtesy of -

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Welp, it looks like I'm going to the sneak preview of The Lego Movie 2. Turns out outside of the Mad Max "SpongeBob did it" concept, it is exactly what I wanted to see the movie do (for some reason, the previews make no mention of Planet Duplo).

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Buscemi2 wrote:Welp, it looks like I'm going to the sneak preview of The Lego Movie 2. Turns out outside of the Mad Max "SpongeBob did it" concept, it is exactly what I wanted to see the movie do (for some reason, the previews make no mention of Planet Duplo).
Don't get the hype around the Lego Movie. The other ones were decent, but this one looks like such shit that I don't see how it will perform better than Ninjago did.

Image courtesy of -

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Ninjago had none of the characters from the last two films and was simply an ill-advised attempt to expand the Lego Cinematic Universe past the established characters (Emmet, Wildstyle, Batman, Unikitty, Benny, etc.). This one will be money because those characters return and Lord & Miller are still around.

I also remember that the first film had some poor trailers that simply made it look like a retread of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for Lego Justice League (but I'm not getting why they recast some of the voice actors to match their DCEU counterparts).
Last edited by Buscemi2 on January 24th, 2019, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I'd say LEGO 2 will get weaker reviews, though, because Lord and Miller didn't write or direct this one. At best it'll end up like LEGO Batman.