ReelSociety Forums

Your home for all Reel and Real discussions.

The DVD/Blu-Ray (Plus For Sale) Thread

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Re: The DVD/Blu-Ray (Plus For Sale) Thread

Postby Buscemi2 » December 5th, 2018, 3:59 pm

The Hurricane Heist was a pre-sale. They only got home video rights from Entertainment Studios (Netflix got pay cable) so they really aren't out all that much on it. Besides, those that are really into UHD will buy anything on the format. As for The Last Witch Hunter, I seem to recall that Vin Diesel titles do well in post-theatrical markets as well as internationally.

I do have one UHD title and that was only because it offered a difference from its Blu-ray counterpart (funny that it also has Vin Diesel in the cast). Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk has three versions (standard, 3-D, 60fps version on the UHD disc) of the film and the fact that Sony put so much dedication into a little-seen film is impressive. Otherwise, I wouldn't pay the extra money.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.
Buscemi2
Patrick Bateman

Advertisement

Postby Screen203 » December 5th, 2018, 4:22 pm

Buscemi2 wrote:The Hurricane Heist was a pre-sale. They only got home video rights from Entertainment Studios (Netflix got pay cable) so they really aren't out all that much on it. Besides, those that are really into UHD will buy anything on the format. As for The Last Witch Hunter, I seem to recall that Vin Diesel titles do well in post-theatrical markets as well as internationally.

I do have one UHD title and that was only because it offered a difference from its Blu-ray counterpart (funny that it also has Vin Diesel in the cast). Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk has three versions (standard, 3-D, 60fps version on the UHD disc) of the film and the fact that Sony put so much dedication into a little-seen film is impressive. Otherwise, I wouldn't pay the extra money.

Doesn't Lionsgate sell the rights to their films outside of the US and Canada to other studios? I'm not sure if it works that way post-theatrical or when they are distributing for other studios, but do they still get money from the films?
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/
Screen203
Harry Tuttle

Postby W » December 5th, 2018, 4:30 pm

I've got a few 4K, but no way to play them yet. I can stream 4K UHD through my PS4 Pro, but it doesn't have the 4K disc drive. Got them mostly through junk shops or because they have Steelbooks. I'd also rather pay $5 more sometimes and get 4K+Blu+Digital than Blu+DVD+Digital.

I was thinking Hurricane Heist is getting a sequel, but that's Den of Thieves. Both Hurricane Heist and Den of Thieves were worth watching for their How Did This Get Mades (also GEOSTORM!). The very beginning when the face is in the cloud I was thinking it could be so bad it's ridiculously great, but nope.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
W
Mad Max

Postby Screen203 » December 5th, 2018, 5:05 pm

W wrote:I've got a few 4K, but no way to play them yet. I can stream 4K UHD through my PS4 Pro, but it doesn't have the 4K disc drive. Got them mostly through junk shops or because they have Steelbooks. I'd also rather pay $5 more sometimes and get 4K+Blu+Digital than Blu+DVD+Digital.

I was thinking Hurricane Heist is getting a sequel, but that's Den of Thieves. Both Hurricane Heist and Den of Thieves were worth watching for their How Did This Get Mades (also GEOSTORM!). The very beginning when the face is in the cloud I was thinking it could be so bad it's ridiculously great, but nope.

Agreed that the cloud skull at the beginning was the "best" part of the movie. The acting and special effects were "great" too. ;) Geostorm, on the other hand, was disappointing - incredibly mediocre - not good or so bad, it's good - just there.

Image courtesy of -
Screen203
Harry Tuttle

Postby JohnErle » December 5th, 2018, 6:07 pm

It's the Disney streaming service that could be a real game-changer. If you have kids, you'll probably want access to the MCU and Disney princesses, and once their service is up I doubt they'll license any content to anyone else. And if it works you could see a Paramount service, and a Universal service, etc, etc.

It's similar to the early days of Hollywood when the studios owned their own theatres as well, until the government stepped in and said there had to be separate ownership for theatres. I don't see how letting Disney own its own streaming service is any different.
JohnErle
Buzz Lightyear

Postby Buscemi2 » December 5th, 2018, 6:11 pm

I think I saw that Disney was going to pull their Marvel shows from Netflix. This might explain why all of them but Jessica Jones have been canceled.

As for Lionsgate, they have an international division and distribute their titles in some countries (their UK distribution is decent sized).
Buscemi2
Patrick Bateman

Postby Screen203 » December 5th, 2018, 6:14 pm

Buscemi2 wrote:As for Lionsgate, they have an international division and distribute their titles in some countries (their UK distribution is decent sized).

I remember seeing a Lionsgate logo on the international trailer for Sicario: Day of the Soldolo, so that would make sense.

Image courtesy of -
Screen203
Harry Tuttle

Postby Buscemi2 » December 5th, 2018, 6:21 pm

Lionsgate retained international rights on the Black Label Media titles after that company took them elsewhere.
Buscemi2
Patrick Bateman

Previous

Return to General Discussion