ReelSociety Forums

Your home for all Reel and Real discussions.

What Are You Watching Right Now? Episode 3 - Turtles in Time

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Re: What Are You Watching Right Now? Episode 3 - Turtles in

Postby Buscemi2 » May 15th, 2018, 4:01 pm

I'm glad I never signed up for MoviePass. It doesn't cover rep screenings, few places near me take the service, and a lot of the new movies released just aren't very good. You seriously want me to sit through Midnight Sun or The Snowman just to make your unlimited service worth it?
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.
Buscemi2
Clark Griswald

Advertisement

Postby BanksIsDaFuture » May 15th, 2018, 4:17 pm

It's worth it if you see 2 movies a month really.

I love MP, and I don't care what their business model is - I'm paying $10/month to see up to 30 brand new movies? Yeah, I'll take that everyday of the week.

I know they're selling my movie watching data and travel habits going to/coming from the movies, which is well worth it to me. Hell, the NSA is recording every phone conversation I've ever had, Amazon is listening into my living room, and AT&T is recording every single place I go. And they aren't giving me free movies.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife
BanksIsDaFuture
Alex

Postby W » May 15th, 2018, 4:29 pm

Buscemi2 wrote:I'm glad I never signed up for MoviePass. It doesn't cover rep screenings, few places near me take the service, and a lot of the new movies released just aren't very good. You seriously want me to sit through Midnight Sun or The Snowman just to make your unlimited service worth it?

At the current price it's "worth it" if you use it 1x a month at a non-matinee. If you watch only Avengers, Solo, and Deadpool this month, you're paying $3.33 per. So for me, I'm happy with it. If you want to see a specialty screening, a different theater, or something else they don't cover then pay out of your pocket and you're still ahead from the mainstream stuff you've watched. All we have here is one AMC (where THS works) or a second AMC and a Regal if I want to venture a hour away. All of them use it, so... Every once in a while I'll get an itch for a change of scenery and there's always somewhere around I can find a movie playing and that's western Indiana/Eastern Illinois.

I also had the service about a year before it was bought out at $30 a month and it was worth it until they literally raised the price to $100 a month if I wanted to continue. Over these two periods of time I've definitely seen some garbage, but also come across some excellent stuff I'd never have considered. It's a big reason why I'm up to 125 titles watched from 2017. That and when I found out how easy it is to order stuff ahead of time from the library.
You know, walk the earth, meet people... get into adventures. Like Caine from "Kung Fu."
W
Jason Bourne

Postby numbersix » May 15th, 2018, 4:49 pm

W wrote: It's a big reason why I'm up to 125 titles watched from 2017.

Woah, that's almost at Chien levels.
numbersix
V

Postby transformers2 » May 15th, 2018, 5:00 pm

Buscemi2 wrote:You seriously want me to sit through Midnight Sun or The Snowman just to make your unlimited service worth it?

Yes. That's actually part of the terms and conditions.
"Fuck You Miles Davis"
Currently At Home from Netflix: Roman J.Israel, Esq. and The Salton Sea

Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!
transformers2
The Man With No Name

Postby Buscemi2 » May 15th, 2018, 11:33 pm

Tonight's rep screening...

Another no-budget wonder from the East, presented in a new 4K restoration that was the basis for the recent Arrow Blu-ray. Frank Henenlotter's guerilla-style (as in, he shot the entire film without permits) gorefest has never looked better. The film was released without a rating for a reason (it would have certainly been rated X in 1982) but it's also a fascinating film while also bringing in the shock value. It shouldn't come as a surprise that it was a popular midnight movie in its day.

Also shown were too many trailers to count (lots of horror and genre films, plus First Reformed for some reason).
Buscemi2
Clark Griswald

Postby Chienfantome » May 16th, 2018, 3:50 am

numbersix wrote:
W wrote: It's a big reason why I'm up to 125 titles watched from 2017.

Woah, that's almost at Chien levels.

Indeed he's on the right track to end up like me. Careful, W ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur
Chienfantome
The Terminator

Postby Buscemi2 » May 16th, 2018, 4:00 am

49 so far this year. A good half are classics.

And I found out that next month, an original 35mm print of Teen Wolf is showing. I wasn't going to go (I watched this al the time as a kid but didn't understand why it was a Terror Tuesday title) but then I saw it was a print from the AFGA. So when they get the ticketing back up, I'll make sure to see everyone's favorite 5'4" time traveler surf on a van.
Buscemi2
Clark Griswald

Previous

Return to General Discussion