ReelSociety Forums

Your home for all Reel and Real discussions.

What Are You Watching Right Now? Episode 3 - Turtles in Time

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Re: What Are You Watching Right Now? Episode 3 - Turtles in

Postby Buscemi2 » April 16th, 2018, 11:16 pm

I saw Wayne's World tonight. The DCP is sadly the home video version because of a certain rock group still refusing to budge on music rights (making an old 35mm print the only way to see the original version of the film) but it was still a fun experience because you got to quote along with the movie. And since I already know much of the script anyway, I took part.

I was surprised that most of the audience didn't stick around through the end credits. They did post-credit scenes before Marvel, you know!

In addition, three trailers (Action Point, The Spy Who Dumped Me, Super Troopers 2) were screened. I don't understand why people think Action Point looks funny.

Up next: The Jerk, followed by Super Troopers 1 & 2.
Buscemi2
Lt. Frank Drebin

Advertisement

Postby Buscemi2 » April 18th, 2018, 12:16 am

I watched The Jerk tonight. The magnum opus of Steve Martin's talents plays well on a big screen (the DCP looked good too) and it's kind of sad that we may never get a comedian-driven star debut of this caliber again, where so many talented people get a small budget and total creative freedom and create such a funny and sweet-natured film and in the process finds so much mainstream acceptance. I'm hoping the other three Steve Martin/Carl Reiner teamings get booked here in the near-future (Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid would look nice on a large screen).

Three trailers were also shown (Action Point, Deadpool 2, and a red band of Super Troopers 2).
Buscemi2
Lt. Frank Drebin

Postby Buscemi2 » April 21st, 2018, 5:06 pm

I didn't say much about my viewing of Super Troopers because I already talked about seeing both on another thread. So today's classic movie viewing was...

Wes Anderson's first film, which was screened for two days only at the local arthouse. And I must wonder how at the time of release, this had the worst test screening scores in the history of Columbia Pictures. You're telling me this played worse than North, The Next Karate Kid, Return to the Blue Lagoon, Amos & Andrew, Mary Reilly, Never Talk to Strangers, and many other Sony bombs of the era? If anything, this film was ahead of its time. While the mid 90's were about Jim Carrey, Kevin Smith, and Beavis and Butt-head (created by Mike Judge, another one of Austin's favorite sons), this film kind of predicted that 2000's indie-style of "less is more" humor. And yet, this was a studio film. Columbia really missed capitalizing on a trend here.

As for the film itself, I really wish Anderson would return to the roots of his first two films. The simplicity of this heist/love story is part of its charm and the humor, while also playing with the buffoonery that's so popular in comedy, also feels realistic. You probably know these people. It's also the least stylistic of Anderson's films and perhaps one of his more accessible films despite being his most obscure.

The best character is probably Anthony though Bob and Inez are fascinating characters that could probably carry their own film.

Print-wise, the film was projected from the Criterion Blu-ray and it's kind of a dated master (after all, it was one of their first Blu-rays). If Criterion ever goes to UHD (there have been some baseless rumors), this should be a contender for a remaster. Three trailers (Foxtrot, RBG, Lean on Pete) were also shown.

Up next: Vertigo, then Blazing Saddles (apparently in 35mm).
Last edited by Buscemi2 on April 22nd, 2018, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buscemi2
Lt. Frank Drebin

Postby Chienfantome » April 22nd, 2018, 12:35 pm

Last year I attended a screening of Bottle Rocket here in Paris, introduced by Wes Anderson himself and with a Q&A with him afterwards. You can find the genesis of his work as a filmmaker in it. Very good film.
Fluctuat nec mergitur
Chienfantome
Travis Bickle

Postby Buscemi2 » April 23rd, 2018, 11:11 pm

Tonight's classic movie screening...

Much like Raiders of the Lost Ark, this is a film that one hasn't fully seen until they've seen it in a movie theatre. It might be the best shot film ever (hard to believe it wasn't nominated for an Oscar but Emmanuel Lubezki can win three consecutive years when he didn't even deserve it in any of those years) and the color palette should make it required viewing for any cineaste and visual artist (the short version: more Robert Burks, less Jeff "I Can't Light a Damn Scene" Cronenweth).

But enough of the potshots, let's get to the film itself. This in a way feels like Hitchcock's attempt at a French film. Not only was it based on a French novel, it feels as if Alfred saw Diabolique and decided to do his own, higher-budgeted version. It's probably not too surprising that this was a bomb in 1958 as it's very sophisticated for a Hollywood movie (hell, a movie like this would bomb in 2018 unless you made it on a Blumhouse budget) and Jimmy Stewart plays against type (audiences were probably still a decade away from watching beloved actors break out of their comfort zones). But ever since Universal got the film in the 80's, Vertigo has developed a new appreciation. And deservedly so. It's one of Hitchcock's finest hours as a filmmaker.

The print was a DCP based on a 2012 improvement of the 1996 restoration. The rich colors and VistaVision cinematography are gorgeous on the big screen (I'm jealous of those who got to see it in 70mm). The audio seemed to be the original stereo mix rather than the 5.1 DTS mix that the 1996 release had (a controversial mix due to the added effects). Three trailers (Mission: Impossible - Fallout, Three Identical Strangers, Beast) were included as well.

Up next: Blazing Saddles. And for May (so far): Videodrome, Clerks, and the restored Basket Case.
Buscemi2
Lt. Frank Drebin

Previous

Return to General Discussion