Around Europe in 300 days

Weekly guest columnist telling us how they feel about upcoming releases.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Around Europe in 300 days

Post by Ron Burgundy »

So, as some of you may know,im am travelling around Europe. At the moment i am in Switzerland, the birthplace of my father, put those thoughts of Vader away now. And although it has only been 10 days so far ive already climbed the Matterhorn, shot a semi auto shotgun, learned to backflip, drank 75% schnapps, seen 5 castles, seen snow in summer, bought a car and drove every day on the 'other' side of the road too.

so yeah, ill report here as much as i can, and hopefully upload some pics too, if not then you check out my facebook.

till next time, Ciao!
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

W
Norman Bates

Re: Around Europe in 300 days

Post by W »

Wow. Sounds like a dream. Keep us updated.

If you have a few minutes, can you tell us where exactly you're planning on going? You know we have RS agents in some cities over there...
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

That's so cool, it's wish of mine, to travel europe (well the whole world actually, but ya gotta start somewhere). Have tons of fun.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

cheers guys, ill have a beer or two for ya, in OKTOBERFEST! And some day im sure either you guys will travel down under or ill see you up there in the US.

And yeah, ive been in touch with those 2 particular agents already.

Chien, ill be in Paris on the 29th or the 30th of September, ive just gotta finalise booking my train ticket there. Ill facebook you a bit later today.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Yeah, Ron already contacted me so we can meet in Paris, so one of these days you'll see a picture of us in this thread ;)
And I should be putting a few pictures of my Irish trip on Facebook by the week-end, including a picture of my meeting with Six...

So you're planning on coming to Paris earlier than expected Ron. Ok, I'll wait for your email !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

By the way, I saw that David Lynch's nightclub modeled on the Silencio from Mulholland Drive has recently opened in Paris, you been there yet, Chien? It looks awesome.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Actually I haven't yet. I haven't read about it too much, to keep the surprise when I'll finally go take a look at it... But it does look interesting yes ! And it's quite close from where I live !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

OK, here now for about a month. And im so bloody tired, done heaps, drank shitloads, slept very little, but now ive finally arrived at my german auntys in northern germany, close to the city called Bremen, home of Becks beer and Werder Bremen F.C, time to sleep a bit i reckon.

what i have i done u ask, well let me tell u, or blog i should say.

So, back in Switzerland about 3 weeks ago i went to the Italian speaking part of Switzerland, and i did Canyoning, which is awesome, jumping into rocky pools atop small waterfalls and absailing-rappeling down the tougher parts, some serious adrenaline flowing, i recommend it to all of u!

Soon after that i went to my cousins wedding near the Bodensea, another bigass lake, where i managed to drink alcohol, lots of it, that was great, i even met some dude from Buffalo, NY, who was living in Zurich for 3 years, another contact-super agent in the states for me. But as always, my older sibling was how should i say...a cunt, and has been one to me ever since, cant wait til after oktoberfest when he goes home to Australia.

Learning a fair bit of german, u see when i was a kid til i was about 6 my mum spoke german to me at home, she didnt actually know much english, so its all coming back to me now, que the song.....

Other cities ive been to recently, St Anton for a day in Austria, where ill do my snowboarding later in the year, Luzern, Basel and Sierre in Switzerland, but just dropped off a mate at the Basel airport, when i was severly hungover, copped a big speeding fine, Luzern was beautiful, the place where my mum and dad met, and Sierre they speak french, so i learnt a little for my upcoming trip to Paris, pardo, jeh ne compron pah. I can use that one right chien?

The last few days ive been touring Germany with my brother and his ex girlfriend who decided to come along with us to see family and shit at the last minte, weird right? nah, he just wanted some sex i think, still, hes a bastard, i promise to never talk about him again. Anyway went to this place called Europa park, with rollercoasters and shit, there were 2 that was ok, but i kept thinking, i wish i went to the ones in the states where you can experience some real G-force, i had more adrenaline pumping during canyoning to be honest. I vow to go on the biggest meanest rollercoaster before i die, which one of u here can help me with that...

Heidelberg, Cologn and Bremen is the cities ive seen, i decided to buy a car navigator, cause i cant be stuffed driving around with a map anymore, someone said it was a waste of money, guess who, proved him wrong. Went to see a nice and big and old castle in Heidelberg, and the old town, so many hot chicks as its a student city. Cologn was good, i managed to get a number while being absolutely pissed, drinking the local beer they call Kolsh, a light an aromatic brew, not bad. But i could not resist the Jamieson and Glenfidditch later in the night, cant remember the last hours, im training for Oktoberfest so i got an excuse to drink, think beerfest.

And today before we got here to my aunts house, i went to the legendary Becks brewery, yes i was hungover, but it was still a treat to go there, a got plenty of merchandise, im a sucker for that stuff. Anyway, i think im gonna like it over here, i see my uncle tommorow and watch a bundesliga match, later Dresden and Hamburg, then down to Munich for that little beer festival.

Also hiked up the Aletsch Glacier, its on the UNESCO world heritage list, real nice in Switzerland. And the Matterhorn too. Awesome views.

>So hey to everyone, ill have a beer for ya

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I'd love to tour Germany. I took two years of the language in High School and haven't used it in a decade, so it's past the rusty stage.

As far as rollercoasters go, I've been told by anyone that's been there that Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio is THE PLACE for roller coasters. They have several highly rated roller coasters and 17 in all, which is the second most anywhere by one coaster. Three and a half hours away from there is King's Island, which has the fourth most roller coasters in the world and two giant wooden ones. The biggest, fastest, biggest drop wooden roller coaster in the world is located here, but has been closed for two years because of an injury.

And actually three and a half hours from King's Island, is the place my sister in law lived and worked called Holiday World that has the #1 ranked wooden coaster in the world. It's in Santa Claus, IN. Holiday World is three and a half hours away from my house.

I should hit all three when my kid is old enough.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

"Pardon, je ne comprends pas" would be the right sentence Ron, you're almost there ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I think that Silencio nightclub is a membership club, meaning you have to fork out the 800 Euro yearly membership. If that's true Lynch can go suck it

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I'm not sure about the membership, I should take a look... I thought I had read though that the entrance fee was something like 65 or 75 euros, something like that, which all of a sudden made it less appealing to me :lol:
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Get a job, hippie!
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Hi Everyone!

So, my busabout* trip is coming to a close, ive visited many cities in a little over 3 weeks, Paris, Bruges, Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Vienna and now im in Salzburg waiting for my train to arrive.

Ill pick up where i left off first though, Oktoberfest. The biggest festival in the world was simply amazing, and very messy at times too. Went there with my brother and my two swiss cousins and a bunch of their mates, if you ever go there, try to go in a big group, its heaps more fun. Ironic cause we always got split up and paid taxi fares individually to get back to the hotel haha. There are rollercoaters, ferris wheels, loads of people everywhere, mostly drunk and offcourse the famous beer tents. Once you are in there, its a great lively atmosphere, people are dancing on tables, laughing, skulling in competiton, eating all sorts, doin snuff**, really just in a happy mood. I had a ball there, 3 days of beer drinking, what more could you want?

So, after 4 full days of recovering including a torture trip driving back to Switzerland i was off to my next destination, Paris. It was probably just a full on as Oktoberfest but in a different way, i didnt waste a single minute in my time there, night 1 was spent at the hostel where i met 4 Aussie from Melbourne, top blokes, more drinking! Day 1 was a free walking tour, later discovering that no tours are free, more a pay as think how much it was worth type thing, but that was great, i saw all the main sites and got my bearings. I met a nice Californian chick and a cool Dutch guy on the tour and we later went out that night drinking wine next to the river and meeting locals. We went on a nice ferry ride and saw the eiffel tower at night, amazing. Even got invited to a girls batchelor party, that was special.
The next day i met up with one of our RS agents, ghostdog, aka chienfantome. It was good to finally meet one of the fantaverse, and he helped alot with communicating in france, not one of my fortes. Drank coffee, ate pizza, but there wasnt a single must see movie there, unless Warrior is on your list. Not a problem though chien pointed me to a little english speaking cinema the next day, where i finally watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes, 8/10, great movie. Also managed to go on a pub crawl, my fatigue level was beyond ridiculous the next day.

So i said goodbye to chien and his gf and Paris and jumped to the bus to begin my little trip around central Europe, starting with Bruges, and yes, they did play the movie before we got there, the cluts played it after we left Bruges aswell but thats another story. The Melbourne guys were there too so i had to comrades for my next drinking escapades, which you really need when you are in Belgium, the beer there is so good and so strong. Its a relatively small city-town, so we were able to walk to the center fairly easily, indulging in some nice chips and gravy with chunks of beef, mmm filling. First night out i did the beer tasting event, managing to crawl into my bed way too late and then missing my war memoral tour the next day, 45 euros out the window :oops: . The next night there was a pub crawl where a phootgrapher took some pics of the gang, see below
http://www.foto-andy.com/people/brugge-pub-crawl/
Amsterdamage was next, but my train is almost here so id better go, and ill update you with the rest of my trip in a few days.

*busabout, a trip where you can stay in a place as long as you want, and the bus comes every 2 days, hop on or hop off.
**snuff, is powdered tobacco, imagine sticking menthol up your nose

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Holy hell, I'm just seeing this thread!

It's very cool that you're traveling Europe, I've always thought people everywhere but North America typically go on long, tourist-y vacations all the time. Like months backpacking across a continent, which Americans never seem to do. Or at least looked at weirdly if they do (look at Geez's first post lol). I've always wanted to do the same, except across the US. Me and my brothers have been talking about doing a cross country drive for years, but I don't think it'll ever happen.

It's crazy you met someone from Buffalo - I'm moving there in a couple of months for school.
And for the rollercoasters, you've definitely have got to go to Cedar Point, which funnily is only 2 hours from where I lived for the past 8 years. King's Island, I know of, but everytime I pass it, it looks blah and I didn't know it was famous for coasters like Cedar Point is...

Sounds like tons of fun, and from what I know of Europe, stay away from local chicks who invite you back to their place. Or you'll be getting your Achilles tendon sliced while tied to a chair by some rich guy.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife