SPEARE'S TIPS - The Films of 6/30, 7/2

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: SPEARE'S TIPS - The Films of 6/30, 7/2

Post by silversurfer19 »

Interesting that despite its huge opening day, it didn't beat New Moon's opening day. Having said that, New Moon opened on a Friday so I guess we should expect a slight drop midweek. Still with such a huge opening day surely a big drop is to be expected on Thursday before a surge again for the weekend.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Eclipse's second day: $25 million (a single day drop of 64%). Meanwhile, The Last Airbender opens to $16 million. Toy Story 3 meanwhile increased on Thursday from Wednesday with $8 million.

This weekend is looking big.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

The Last Airbender has an abysmal 8% on Rotten Tomatoes. This worse than Jonah Hex's 12% from two weeks ago. Expect major fanboy effect on it.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

BOM Friday estimates:

Eclipse - $28.6M ($121.3M total)
Airbender - $16.6M
Toy Story 3 - $10.4M ($269.3M total)
Grown Ups - $6.9M
Knight & Day - $3.4M
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Looks like I got Knight and Day wrong.

Meanwhile, I went to a showing of it today and there were probably 20 people total in the theatre. However, the theatre printed the wrong time (always check the Internet) so maybe some people went to see it and came too late.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Brockster wrote:Ouch, the imdb score for ECLIPSE is at 3.6 with over 5,000 votes. It would seem like the hater crowd is rushing to imdb to vote yet again (probably even if they have not seen the movie)...there are twice as many male votes as there are female. The questionable low imdb score strikes again, but we've seen this happen before (Tyler Perry movies anyone?)...however, most of us who picked this movie should have known this would happen.
Well you see, the answer is simple. The imdb users are racists.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I wonder if the IMDB for Twilight works in reverse, in that over time it's score will improve as the IMDB guys stop voting and their fans actually watch the movie and give it a fair score?

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

maybe but that doesnt really help us in the game.

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Well you see, the answer is simple. The imdb users are racists.
I prefer ignorant...but we all have our own opinions :)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

BOM Sunday Estimates

Top 5:
5 points - Twilight: Eclipse, $69M ($162M total)
4 points - Last Airbender, $40.6M
3 points - Toy Story 3, $30.2M ($289M total)
2 points - Grown Ups, $18.5M
1 point - Knight & Day, $10.2M

So it virtually certain now that Toy Story 3 will indeed pass Finding Nemo ($339M) and become Pixar's highest-grossing film ever. By doing so, it will, of course, also take over the #1 spot for 2010 (Alice in Wonderland grossed $338M).

PTA:
5 points - Twilight: Eclipse
4 points - Last Airbender
3 points - Cyrus
2 points - Toy Story 3
1 point - Winter's Bone
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I know I shouldn't but you gotta laugh... A 23 year old man from Wellington, NZ died yesterday when at a screening of Twilight. Found by a cleaner who thought he was asleep, he was supposedly bored to death. Literally...

Or maybe he just couldn't decide whether to pick between Team Edward or Team Jacob and it sent him over the edge, as I've heard they choose which side of the cinema to sit on and cheer each character on...

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

He should have gone to see Toy Story 3.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

silversurfer19 wrote:I know I shouldn't but you gotta laugh... A 23 year old man from Wellington, NZ died yesterday when at a screening of Twilight. Found by a cleaner who thought he was asleep, he was supposedly bored to death. Literally...

Or maybe he just couldn't decide whether to pick between Team Edward or Team Jacob and it sent him over the edge, as I've heard they choose which side of the cinema to sit on and cheer each character on...
maybe he didnt know that and sat on the wrong side

Donte77
Kirk Lazarus

Post by Donte77 »

silversurfer19 wrote:
Please for the love of all that is good and pure in the world tell me you are jokng!!!
"I highly suspected I was becoming a legend." Ignatius J. Riley

"If Transporter 3 was better than TDK then the first Transporter was the filmic equivalent of doing heroin while getting a Bl** J** from god." Me

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I truly wish I was Donte, but it seems over here young boys are just as obsessed with this series as the young girls. I've been mounting my one man stance against the movie on the local cinema facebook page, which is flooded with gushing Twihards talking of their orgasmic experiences of the movie (because of demand the cinema chain put all three movies together opening night for a full saga of mind numbing puberty drenched teenage girl infatuations). And it is true about the teams. I know someone who worked in the cinema and he said that when they all had their tickets, they each split into teams before entering the theatre, and each sat on opposing sides of the screen. Can you imagine how bile inducing that is! It hasn't helped that the cinema chain seem intent on fuelling their infatuations, constantly advertising the movie, selling tickets months in advance and promoting the merchandise in every corner of both cinema and website. I have had many a rant as to why Toy Story tickets only went on sale a day before its actual release, while Inception tickets are still not for sale. Considering these will be equally as big, if not bigger movies than Twilight, it's kinda frustrating.

So with all that you man understand my delight at hearing this news. I couldn't help but laugh out loud in a public space.