Screening The Releases - October 13th

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: Screening The Releases - October 13th

Post by Buscemi2 »

They won't. Watch Angel Studios greenlight a Morgan Wallen concert film as an answer.

On the other hand, I think Trafalgar Releasing, whose bread and butter is concert films and music documentaries, will start doing bigger releases in the future. A golden opportunity was missed in January when they only released Billie Eilish: Live at the O2 for one night and one showing only. The night it was released, it might have been the most popular title at the one theatre here that had it. Something like this shouldn't have been treated like a run-of-the-mill Fathom Events-like title. And to further Trafalgar not pushing that documentary, it's still not available anywhere to stream though that might be an issue with Universal Music Group.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

The impact (for the foreseeable future at least) will likely be the high probability that every major pop star releases a concert movie in theaters after they've completed a major tour (Olivia Rodrigo-whose going on tour in the US, Canada and Europe from late February through mid-August next year seems like the next clear candidate to do this).As six and I said yesterday, The Eras Tour is going to be an impossibly high bar to clear, but it's still a good moneymaking opportunity for the artists as well a much more affordable way for fans who got shut of the actual tour to see what they missed out on. The Harry Styles camp has got to be pissed that they didn't think to do with his tour last year.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

After Harry Styles had back-to-back flops last year in Don't Worry Darling and My Policeman, I'm not sure if any distributor would have been interested in him in a concert film. Swift's had box office flops (Cats and Amsterdam) but she's way above Harry in popularity.

A Lady Gaga concert film could take off. Gaga can draw at the box office and her music is even bigger than her films.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Weekend Actuals:
1.Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour $92.8 mil (2nd best October opening ever behind Joker and 7th best OW of 2023 so far behind Barbie, Super Mario Bros., Across the Spider-Verse, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.3, Quantumania and The Little Mermaid)
2.The Exorcist: Believer $11 mil (a -59% drop is pretty good considering the dogshit WOM)
3.Paw Patrol: The Mighty Movie $6.9 mil
4.Saw X $5.7 mil
5.The Creator $4.3 mil
6.The Blind $2 mil
7.A Haunting in Venice $1.9 mil
8.The Nun II $1.6 mil
9.The Equalizer 3 $950k
10.Dumb Money $900k

-Anatomy of a Fall $117,848
-Divinity $5,113

PTA:
1.Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour $24,074
2.Anatomy of a Fall $23,570 (5 theaters)
3.Dicks: The Musical $6,312 (15 theaters)
4.Divinity $5,113
5.The Exorcist: Believer $2,980
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The lack of openers helped Believer. It also helped Saw X, dropping only 27%.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

While it's not a terrible start by any means, I was expecting a bit more for Anatomy Of A Fall, though the capacity limits at major chain theaters with The Eras Tour couldn't have helped. I'm not sure it reaches the numbers I thought it would in expansion, and may finish under 5 m.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

There's not much of an audience in the US for a two and a half hour German film that's extremely downbeat. It's not something you seek out for a date night or take the family to see if Paw Patrol's sold out.