Screening The Releases - May 13th

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Screening The Releases - May 13th

Post by Screen203 »

Last Week
Doctor Strange..., as expected, kicked off the summer with a huge, if front-loaded, 185 m OW. The mixed audience reception probably won't help with legs, but a relatively open 2 weeks will. Most other films. There really wasn't that much else to write about this weekend, although the holdovers all held decently and the arthouse openers did decently.

This Week

Firestarter

At first, this seems to have some things going for it. It's from Blumhouse, and is an adaptation of one of Stephen King's best known novels releasing on Friday The 13th. However, a lot stands in its way. It doesn't seem like there has been much in the way of marketing, and it is having a day-and-date release.

Don't take it in Box Office or Ultimate.

It will open with 10 m and close with 20 m. It will get you 3 Top 5 points, 1 PTA points, and about a 5 on IMDb.

Family Camp

I really don't know much about this. I believe it is produced by religious conglomerate K-LOVE. It is a wild card, but it could do okay if religious audiences and families support it.

It might be worth a look in Box Office and Ultimate as a filler title.

It will probably do 4 m on OW, and close with 12 m. It will get you 1 Top 5 point, 2 PTA points, and a 4-5 on IMDb.

Limited Releases

Jazz Fest: A New Orleans Story

I think this will do decently, but not enough for the price. It has strong reviews, but doccumetaries have had some difficulty finding an audience during the pandemic, and I'm not sure how much this will change that.

Don't take it in Box Office, and think twice before putting it in Ultimate.

It will get you 1-2 PTA points, and a 7 on IMDb.

Pleasure

This unrated film about the adult industry created quite a lot of buzz out of Sundance in 2021, and also gained buzz for being dropped by A24 because of the film's content. The lack of a rating will limit the amount of theaters it can release in, but the buzz around the film should allow for a decent total.

Don't take it in Box Office, but it might be a good choice in Ultimate.

I expect around 3-4 PTA points, and a 6 on IMDb.

Montana Story

This seems like another semi-wide release that won't connect. Reviews have been strong, but I still wouldn't reccomend it.

Don't take it in Box Office or Ultimate.

It will get you 0 PTA points, and a 7 on IMDb.

The Innocents

Another week, another well-received horror film from IFC. I'm not sure if this is going day-and-date or not, but I still wouldn't take it, because it will likely go semi-wide.

In a crowded week, don't take it in Box Office or Ultimate.

I expect it to make 0 PTA points, and it's IMDb score will probably be a 6 or a 7.

Join us next week for transformers's take on The Downton Abbey sequel, and my most anticipated film of the year - Alex Garland's Men. Until next time...
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: Screening The Releases - May 13th

Post by Buscemi2 »

Family Camp is playing at nearly every theatre near me and I have a feeling this wouldn't be the case if there were more movies out right now. First of all, has anyone even heard of The Skit Guys? The marketing seems to assume that we know about them but they don't even have a Wikipedia page. Second, is there really any interest in an Evangelical version of Grown Ups?

I don't even think it hits $2 million for the weekend and it probably gets reduced to matinees only at a lot of theatres by the second weekend.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Montana Story is NYC/LA this weekend then an expansion to 25-100 theaters next weekend followed by a wide-ish break on the 27th. If it plays like Mass and Sundown did when they followed a similar release plan, it'll do decent business this weekend before it quickly fades away.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Firestarter is getting panned by critics, making this yet another unnecessary horror remake. But on the other hand, Top Gun: Maverick is getting excellent early reviews, though some of the raves feel as if Paramount bought them or if they are slanted by nostalgia over the first film so who knows if this can translate to box office success.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

It's looking like Firestarter might not even average $1,000 per theatre, between its terrible opening day numbers and a C- Cinemascore.

Unsurprisingly, Family Camp flopped as well. This should have never opened wide.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Weekend Actuals:
1.Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness $61.8 mil
2.The Bad Guys $7 mil
3.Sonic the Hedgehog 2 $4.6 mil
4.Firestarter $3.8 mil
5.Everything Everywhere All at Once $3.3 mil
6.Fantastic Beasts 3 $2.5 mil
7.The Northman $1.74 mil
8.The Lost City $1.7 mil
9.Family Camp $1.4 mil
10.The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent $1 mil

PTA:
1.Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness $13,620
2.Pleasure $8,184 (2 theaters)
3.Montana Story $4,321 (4 theaters)
4.Everything Everywhere All at Once $1,923
5.The Bad Guys $1,862

-Jazz Fest: A New Orleans Story $1,418 (5 theaters)
-Firestarter $1,121
-The Innocents $385 (32 theaters)
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Comparing both versions of Firestarter by opening weekend.

Opening weekend:
Firestarter 1984: $4.7 million
Firestarter 2022: $3.8 million

Per-theatre average:
Firestarter 1984: $3,485
Firestarter 2022: $1,121

Cinemascore:
Firestarter 1984: B+
Firestarter 2022: C-

Adjusted for inflation, the original Firestarter's opening weekend today would be $13.2 million. And the new one won't even hit that mark. This fire was put out as soon as the reviews came out.