SPEARE'S TIPS: MOST ANTICIPATED FILMS (May-July)

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

SPEARE'S TIPS: MOST ANTICIPATED FILMS (May-July)

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, the time has come to usher in the next “season” of films. The anticipation has been building ever since the excitement for Avatar started to die down. The first third of 2010 is over (where DID the time go…), and now it is time for me to reveal the select group of films that I am most jazzed about seeing this summer. It was my hope to work this into one of my regular weekly columns, but I don’t think I’m going to be able to swing that, so I’ll just make it a “special edition”. I hope you’ll follow this post by listing which films YOU are most excited about seeing, and why.

This list covers all films being released between the beginning of May and the end of August, a period that will feature at least one film, every single week, that I want to see. So here is the list of my:

Top 12 Most Anticipated Films of 2010 (May-Aug)

#12. The Last Airbender (7/2) – Remember the days when M. Night Shyamalan had the world by the tail? After the enormous success of The Sixth Sense, the once-promising director has been in a downward spiral. Though Unbreakable, his second film, remains one of my favorite films of all time, and Signs achieved modest success, his other projects have been a monument to the Law of Diminishing Returns. The Village (predictable and uninteresting), Lady in the Water (inexplicably confusing) and The Happening (just bad in every sense of the word) have all but shattered his golden-boy image. I like what I’ve seen of The Last Airbender, and make no mistake: this is M. Night’s very VERY last chance to win me back. And I’m betting many moviegoers feel the same way.

#11. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (5/28) - Jake Gyllenhaal is a fair actor, but as an action star? I’m not sold yet. It’s Disney, and it looks like a lot of fun in a National Treasure kind of way. I’m hoping that it’s more entertaining than most video-game adaptations, that’s for sure. And is it an unwritten Hollywood law that if you’re filming a movie based in medieval or ancient times that involves the wearing of robes, togas or tunics, you have to cast Ben Kingsley? ‘Cause that’s what it seems like…

#10. The A-Team (6/11) – You guys all know that I grew up in the 80’s, and if you were a guy, 13-15 years old at the same time as I was, I guarantee you either watched Knight Rider or The A-Team (or both). The premise, though cool on screen, just didn’t work on paper. Four guys travelling around in a van helping people in need, constantly on the run from the military, having escaped from prison after being framed. Silly question: how was it that all these “people in need” were able to find them but the U.S. government never could? And did you notice that every show ended in a gun-battle during which NO ONE EVER GOT SHOT? Well, I’m hoping that this big-screen incarnation is just as cool and less squeamish about being a little more realistic in its violence.

#9. The Sorcerer’s Apprentic (7/16) – Nicholas “Mr. Teflon” Cage returns in another cool-looking summer actioner, re-teaming with his National Treasure director Jon Turtletaub. Coming off of his (supporting) role as Big Daddy in Kick-Ass, here’s hoping that Nic doesn’t do his best to try to out-perform all of the special effects that are in store. Otherwise, this film may be as disappoint as the juvenile Percy Jackson. I’m hoping for better.

#8. The Expendables (8/13) – Well, you know this film just had to be here somewhere. Featuring practically every major action star of the last thirty years (and a few minor ones), this film is every aging action junkie’s wet dream. A virtual cast of all-stars, including Jason Statham, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgen, “Stone Cold” Steve Austin, and of course, Sylvester Stallone (who also directed). And then you have Arnold Schwarzenegger and Bruce Willis appearing in cameos. I mean, to have those three guys on the screen at the same time? Who wouldn’t want to see that? (I’m also interested in seeing if Brittany Murphy’s scenes, which were rumored to be cut, end up getting put back in because of her tragic death last year.)

#7. Robin Hood (5/14) – One of the most famous fictional characters of all time, Robin Hood has been depicted on the big screen since the glory days of Errol Flynn. The story has been told as a drama, a comedy, an animated family film, you name it. I’m extremely interested in what Ridley Scott and Russell Crowe, who paired up with terrific films Gladiator and American Gangster do to this well-known and classic story. I’m betting it will be a much grittier story than, say, Costner’s version, with the character of Robin Hood being portrayed almost as an antihero. I’m not sure how much business this film will do, sandwiched as it is between obvious hits Iron Man 2 and Shrek Forever After, but I will definitely be seeing it on opening weekend.

#6. Toy Story 3 (6/18) – If I were to list all ten of Pixar’s film in the order that I like them, the original Toy Story would probably be about seventh, and its sequel, Toy Story 2, would be dead last. Not that I think they were bad films, on the contrary, I’ve loved every single thing that Pixar has attached its name to. But even though one may argue that all Pixar films are essentially “kids” movies, almost all of them definitely appeal to older audiences as well. Case in point – I’ve given four of their films a “10/10”, and three of them were my #1 film of the year. I’m not entirely sure a third chapter in this story was necessary, but considering the roll this studio has been on, is it any wonder that it’s this high on my list?

#5. Despicable Me (7/9) – Given the level of technology that’s usually involved, it tends to be a lot harder for an animated film to disappoint me than a live-action film. And I have become such a Steve Carell fan over the last few years that I would watch him in just about anything. And when you make it a story about dueling super-villains? Count me in!

#4. Inception (7/16) – Given that Christopher Nolan is coming off of The Dark Knight, not only the greatest comic-book superhero movie of all time but one of the greatest MOVIES of all time, this detour from the Batman franchise could have been #1 on my list. Except for the fact that I know virtually nothing about it beyond its brief description and its cast (which contains three actors from Batman Begins, Michael Caine, Ken Watanabe and Cillian Murphy). So yes, Inception is this high on my list on blind faith alone.

#3. Shrek Forever After (5/21) – I remember a few years ago when the third installments of Spider-Man, Shrek and Pirates of the Caribbean all opened in the same month… and all of them were extremely disappointing. All three franchises should probably have called it quits right then and there, despite the fact that they all made over $300 million. But no, fourth installments are imminent for all three, and the first to arrive in theaters is the fourth (and, as advertised, FINAL) Shrek film. It’s only because I loved the first two chapters so much that I want to see Forever After this badly. Let’s hope that DreamWorks, having achieved success with Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda, Monsters vs. Aliens and now How to Train Your Dragon, actually sticks to its guns and actually makes this the final chapter. (Though one can only wonder where the careers of Myers, Murphy and Banderas will go from there…)

#2. Salt (7/23) – I barely liked the Tomb Raider movies. I tolerated Mr. and Mrs. Smith. And I absolutely loathed Wanted. So why is this Angelina Jolie action film so high on my list? Honestly, even I’m not totally sure. Maybe it’s the whole espionage angle. Maybe it’s like movie popcorn: I love the smell, but usually hate the taste. Maybe it’s the prospect of making the “A Salt With a Deadly Weapon” joke for a few weeks. Maybe because I have confidence in Philip Noyce (The Bone Collector). Whatever it is, I’m setting this film up to be either one of my favorite summer films or my biggest disappointment.

#1. Iron Man 2 (5/7) – What else could it be? Robert Downey Jr. and Jon Favreau single-handedly took a Marvel Comics superhero, a second-tier title at best, and elevated it to rock star status. Marvel films typically own the season’s leadoff spot, with its only hiccup coming last year, when Wolverine made roughly half of its $170 million gross in its FIRST THREE DAYS, paving the way for Star Trek to dominate. I expect no less than $300 million for Iron Man 2, and I expect it to kick serious ass. My one fear is that the story will get top-heavy with new actors/characters (Don Cheadle, Scarlett Johanssen), and multiple villains (Sam Rockwell, Mickey Rourke). I can also only hope that they advance the mysterious Avengers plot some more.

I am also planning on seeing, in one venue or another: Killers, The Karate Kid, Get Him to the Greek, Jonah Hex, Grown Ups, Knight & Day, Predators, Dinner For Schmucks, and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. I’m still on the fence about Marmaduke, The Other Guys, Lottery Ticket and a few others.

And, finally, three films on the OTHER end of the spectrum, films that you couldn’t pay me to see (and these should surprise no one):

Sex and the City 2 (5/28) – No interest when these actresses were younger and considerably hotter, no interest now. And even if I had been a diehard fan, from what I’ve heard, not one of the cast members even WANTED to do this sequel, and that spells “stinker” to me.

The Switch (8/20) – Two movies about artificial insemination in one year? Is this the new “in” thing? At least the original title (“The Baster”) was quirky and different… this is just… no. No, no, no.

The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (6/30) – About the best thing I can say about the whole Twilight franchise is… at least those books stopped at four, which means that we only have to endure one more after this.

So that’s it. Those are my picks. What are yours?
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: SPEARE'S TIPS: MOST ANTICIPATED FILMS (May-July)

Post by Buscemi »

I'll go in order by release date:

Most anticipated:
Iron Man 2 (5/7)
Survival Of The Dead (5/28)
Splice (6/4)
Toy Story 3 (6/18)
Predators (7/9)
Inception (7/16)

Least anticipated:
Sex and the City 2 (5/27)
Prince Of Persia (5/28)
Killers (6/4)
The Karate Kid (6/11)
Eclipse (6/30)
The Last Airbender (7/2)
Cyrus (7/9)
Cats and Dogs 2 (7/30)
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

You're on the fence about MARMADUKE??? WHA-

Your list is pretty good, although I'd put Inception at the top of the list. Also I'd replace Robin Hood with Scott Pilgrim. Because really, what new things can they do with Robin Hood? Well they could've made Robin Hood the villain as originally planned, until Universal bitched out. It just looks kind of boring.

You disliked all of Angelina's action movies but you really want to see Salt that bad? That seems kind of weird.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

delfinasu
Al Czervick

Post by delfinasu »

So many sequels, so many remakes :(
My Most Anticipated Films of 2010 (May-Aug):
1. Inception = Nolan + DiCaprio - enough said!
2. Robin Hood = Ridley Scott + Russell Crowe; I think that they were so sad that they decided to kill Maximus in Gladiator; is this Gladiator 2? :)
I think/hope NOT! They have a chance to Oscars
3. Toy Story 3 - I'm a Pixar fan, and a Toy Story series fan :D
4. The Expendables - '80-'90s action movie-stars reunion; just Van Damme is missing...
5. Knight & Day - Tom Cruise + Cameron Diaz make a very good couple - humor+action
6. Salt - Angelina Jolie in a Tom Cruise role :D Mission Impossible? I think NOT :) Is she a Russian spy or NOT? :D Wanted 2? No! :) but wanted! ;)
7. The Last Airbender - can be a good 3D effects movie; M. Night Shyamalan - please don't mess this up!
8. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - I LOVE Gemma Arterton :oops: She could be a revelation; the trailers look good - action+humor...;
I think/hope that this won't disappoint me like Clash of the Titans. This could be the beginning of a new franchise, just like Pirates of The Caribbean ;)
9. Grown Ups - Adam Sandler's pack reunited.
10. Shrek Forever After - Big Fat P'n'B will stole the show again from Donkey? Do you know that a spin-off with Puss will be released next year?
Salma will be Baderas' love again... ;)

Iron Man 2 - saw it a few hours ago. YES. It was released in Romania, a week in advance than US :D Very good, but NOT as good as the first.

Not interesting in seeing:
Cats & Dogs: Revenge of Kitty Galore
The Karate Kid
Predators
The A-Team - Losers 2?
Dinner for Schmucks - saw the original, which was so good (I won't see this remake as I did with Death at the Funeral)

Not buying a ticket for:
Sex and the City 2 - I'm not a fan
The Twilight Saga: Eclipse - not a fan
Jonah Hex - it looks SO baaad

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I don't understand the appeal of Gemma Arterton. She was in Quantum Of Solace for a grand total of five minutes (getting covered in oil in the process) and now she's showing up in everything. Were those five minutes that impressive?

Meanwhile, this is what I liked the most in Quantum Of Solace.

Olga is a heartmelter. And I wish that she didn't get killed off in every movie that she's in (she was also the only good thing about Max Payne).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

nope, olga is the boring one, i'd take gemma arterton over her any day

delfinasu
Al Czervick

Post by delfinasu »

I like Olga too, BUT I LOVE Gemma :oops: :lol:
Buscemi, let's talk about this subject AFTER Prince of Persia ;)

on topic: The Concert (Wein.) - on 7/16 is a must-see comedy for you! Don't miss it! If not for Radu Mihaileanu (Romanian director :mrgreen: ) and for César nominations and awards, maybe for Mélanie Laurent (you know her from Inglourious Basterds) ;)

J.I.
The McMannus Brothers

Post by J.I. »

Shrykespeare wrote:#12. The Last Airbender (7/2) – Remember the days when M. Night Shyamalan had the world by the tail? After the enormous success of The Sixth Sense, the once-promising director has been in a downward spiral. Though Unbreakable, his second film, remains one of my favorite films of all time, and Signs achieved modest success, his other projects have been a monument to the Law of Diminishing Returns. The Village (predictable and uninteresting), Lady in the Water (inexplicably confusing) and The Happening (just bad in every sense of the word) have all but shattered his golden-boy image. I like what I’ve seen of The Last Airbender, and make no mistake: this is M. Night’s very VERY last chance to win me back. And I’m betting many moviegoers feel the same way.
Shryke I'm sure you will be happy to know that it is from the producers of The Sixth Sense, Signs, and Unbreakable, and NOT The Happening, Lady in the Water, or The Village.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

My most anticipated
10.Preadtors
9.Dinner For Schmucks
8.MacGruber
7.Grown-Ups
6.Get Him To The Greek
5.Toy Story 3
4.Inception
3.The Expendables
2.The Other Guys
1.Iron Man 2

Will proably end up seeing eventually:
Jonah Hex
Robin Hood
The A-Team
The Last Airbender(only to laugh at it though)

On the fence about:
Salt
Takers
Lottery Ticket
Killers
Splice
Pirahana 3-D

Hell No:
Prince Of Persia (idk if anyone has played the game but Jake Gyllanhall but have been the worst casting choice ever.The trailer is also garbage)
Sex and The City 2
Eclipse
Scott Pilgrim Vs The World
The Socerer's Apperentice
Cats and Dogs 2
The Karate Kid
Knight and Day(looks sooooooooo bad)
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

My most anticipated movies this summer:

1. Inception
2. Toy Story 3
3. Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
4. Micmacs
5. Iron Man 2

The rest I can take or leave. Not really that great a summer now I look at it....

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

1. Iron Man 2 - It's about to fall to number 3 with all these bad reviews.
2. Dinner for Schmucks - Steve Carrell and Zach Galifianakis as the schmucks? How can you not be there?
3. Toy Story 3 - I like the secondary characters like Slinky Dog, Sarge, Mr. Potato Head, Rex, etc and there are supposed to be more this time around.
4. Inception - What is it about? I don't know, but I'm seeing it anyways.
5. Grown Ups - With Chris Rock, Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Norm McDonald, et al there should be a good amount of laughs.
6. Despicable Me - Steve Carrell: Super Villian.
7. Shrek 4 - I've heard it's supposed to be darker than the other ones and I'll have to watch it anyways, so I might as well get my hopes up a little bit...
8. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - This actually looks pretty good.

Unsure:

Predators
Prince of Persia
Get Him to the Greek
The A-Team
Sorcerer's Apprentice
The Other Guys
The Expendables
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

J.I.
The McMannus Brothers

Post by J.I. »

1. Toy Story 3 (Its Pixar, they'll always be my most anticipated until they prove to me that they don't deserve it)
2. The Last Airbender (love the show, trailers look very true to it)
3. Iron Man 2 (the big superhero movie of the summer)
4. Dispicable Me (looks very strange)
5. The Karate Kid (great test screenings, Jaden Smith)
6. Get Low (great cast, Oscar potential)
7. Prince of Persia (looks fun)
8. The Sorcerer's Apprentice (same as above)
9. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (should be funny)
10. Inception (great cast and crew but I need to know more)

jas8382
Jason Voorhees

Post by jas8382 »

Most Anticipated Films May-August
1. Iron Man 2
2. Toy Story 3
3. Inception
4. The A-Team
5. Salt
6. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
7. Splice
8. The Expendables
9. The Other Guys
10. Predators

Honorable Mentions
Robin Hood
Dinner for Schmucks
Cyrus
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
The Sorcerer's Apprentice

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

and so the summer movie season begins....

I can kinda see what a few of you have been saying about this being a weak summer, as there arent any films that im super excited to see. Not like this winter, that has three films that i must absolutely see and a few that i really want to. As for this summer there arent any films that i must see in theaters. especially not that i would wait in long lines with awful people who text during movies and are just unpleasant to watch films with, that being said there are still a lot of films that i would like to see and will eventually end up seeing

*they are also in order of preference

films that i will see (most likely in theaters)
Prince of Persia
Inception
Sorcerers Apprentice
Predators
Iron Man
Robin Hood
Shrek 4
Toy Story 3
The Last Airbender
Salt
Step Up 3D
Babies

films i might see (especially if i find a screening of them so i can go for free)
Despicable Me
The A team
Karate Kid
Letters to Juliet
Killers
Charlie St Cloud
Piranha 3D
Coco Chanel
Knight and Day
Twilight 3

Films i wont see, (maybe not even for free)
Sex and the City 2
Get Him to the Greek
Marmaduke
Jonah Hex
Cats & Dogs: Revenge of Kitty Galore
The Expendables