Down the Rabbit Hole with Buscemi: December 7th-9th

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Re: Down the Rabbit Hole with Buscemi: December 7th-9th

Post by NicodemustheSage »

Indeed, I had "A Star is Born" doing $180M-$200M, more if it was (as I also thought it might be) nominated for a half-dozen or more Oscars, and got an awards-season expansion in January-February. I still expect this to be the case. I also thought "Bohemian Rhapsody" would do $130M-$150M, perhaps even $175M if Rami's performance was as good as I'd heard.

But, then, I thought "Tag" might be a $80M-$95M film, too, and that "Superfly" could break $60M, and that "Fantastic Beasts 2: Dumbledore Boogaloo" might hit $250M, $275M. So, yeah. :D

--Nico.
I remain, as always.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Hang on to those predictions that work, Nico. They're rare, but it makes me think I know something. Anything!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I thought Superfly would take off too. I think the problem was that they didn't really try to connect it with the original like the Shaft spinoff with Samuel L. Jackson did all those years ago. I feel had Sony cut a trailer with the Curtis Mayfield music remixed (think how Creed redid the Rocky theme), they could have gotten a better response than they actually did.

As for Tag, I think these kinds of films are dated. For some reason, Warner Bros. thinks they can still make these Hangover-type movies when they ran their course in 2011.

But if you think those were bad, I thought Action Point was going to be the sleeper hit of the summer. The trailer played really well when I saw it before Ready Player One.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Something happened with "Action Point" I don't think has ever gotten out. The studio lost faith in it FAST, and pulling it COMPLETELY out of theaters in Week 2 was practically unprecedented. If I didn't know better, I'd guess that something was about to come out about one of its stars or director, and that it was smothered with a pillow and drowned in a formaldehyde bottle, FAST, to keep something under wraps in some back-alley handshake deal. But, that never happens in La-la Land, right? (I really don't know anything, but something about that film's under-the-carpet-sweeping nags at me.)

Agreed re: "Superfly". That film was scarcely promoted AT ALL. I was hoping for something between "Out of Sight" and "Payback"... Ah, well.

--Nico.
I remain, as always.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

I actually really enjoyed "Tag". It was ALMOST the movie it could have been... But it deserved the Box Office performance it achieved.

--Nico.
I remain, as always.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

NicodemustheSage wrote:Something happened with "Action Point" I don't think has ever gotten out. The studio lost faith in it FAST, and pulling it COMPLETELY out of theaters in Week 2 was practically unprecedented. If I didn't know better, I'd guess that something was about to come out about one of its stars or director, and that it was smothered with a pillow and drowned in a formaldehyde bottle, FAST, to keep something under wraps in some back-alley handshake deal. But, that never happens in La-la Land, right? (I really don't know anything, but something about that film's under-the-carpet-sweeping nags at me.)

Agreed re: "Superfly". That film was scarcely promoted AT ALL. I was hoping for something between "Out of Sight" and "Payback"... Ah, well.

--Nico.
I believe a regime change (combined with the film not being very good, the target audience wants stunts and Knoxville wanted to force a plot in) did Action Point in. The old guard had faith in Knoxville from the Jackass movies but the new people wanted their projects released (and they did well with A Quiet Place and Book Club), so the film was quickly dumped. I pretty much figured out it was done for when no advance screenings were done before opening.

With Paramount's emphasis on corporate synergy, it's interesting that they didn't ask for reshoots to add more stunts (of course, they would have likely needed Jeff Tremaine for such footage and he's been doing a film for Netflix) and resurrect the MTV Films banner for it.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Boushh, I have missed you. Have you any thoughts on the future of the "Star Trek" film franchise, since you brought up that studio's "synergy" strategy and I know its leadership is keen on exploiting its second-biggest remaining contemporary IP (after "Mission: Impossible")?

--Nico.
I remain, as always.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I have been following the plans to have Quentin Tarantino direct an installment. However, I found Overlord (co-written by the writer of this planned installment) tried too hard at being a Tarantino copy.

Beyond was a good recent installment and I'd like to see more of them like that one. It reminded me a lot of the best Next Generation episodes.