Down the Rabbit Hole with Buscemi: April 6th-8th

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Down the Rabbit Hole with Buscemi: April 6th-8th

Post by Shrykespeare »

Weekend Estimates

Top 10:
5 points - A Quiet Place, $50.0M
4 points - Ready Player One, $25.1M
3 points - Blockers, $21.4M
2 points - Black Panther, $8.43M
1 point - I Can Only Imagine, $8.36M
TP's Acrimony, $8.1M
Chappaquiddick, $6.2M
Sherlock Gnomes, $5.6M
Pacific Rim Uprising, $4.9M
Isle of Dogs, $4.6M
The Miracle Season, $4.1M

PTA:
Top 10:
5 points - You Were Never Really Here
4 points - A Quiet Place
3 points - Lean on Pete
2 points - Isle of Dogs
1 point - Where is Kyra?

No word yet on Spiral.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Okay, is there any other genre that can "break-out" the way that Horror can? I'm trying to think of other movies that have in the past few years (La La Land, Hidden Figures, Wonder) and none of those seem to fit a Genre quite like Horror (Get Out, Split, It, Quiet.) Maybe "Feel-good" movies? They're either a treacly mess or a massive hit?

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Horror fans are incredibly loyal to the genre and that dedication tends to show in the OW receipts. That being said, I think A Quiet Place's success is more of a testament to its strong marketing campaign, very positive reviews and unique premise that helped attract audiences that don't tend to flock to horror films.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Unique premise? All they did was combine It Comes at Night with Hush (another horror film built around sign language but was passed on by the studios) and attract a name actor to it. If not for the marketing campaign and Michael Bay's involvement, the film would have only made a tenth of what it really did. In fact, the real story is that marketing is what filmmaking is now. In addition to marketing budgets being bigger than actual film budgets, the fact that studios can spend so much to promote a film has cannibalized any chance of smaller films of ever breaking out (we've heard of a new horror renaissance for some time now but outside of the studio-released films, has a general audience actually seen a lot of these films praised by critics and the more rabid fans?).

And I wouldn't exactly call the horror crowd loyal. They'll demand things and not show (see Strangers: Prey at Night, Blair Witch, and Jeepers Creepers 3), nitpick over the smallest things, create narratives that have no basis in reality (such as their whole belief that there was only one good decade of horror), and turn everything into a fight (especially if it's about Scream, The Conjuring, or the PG-13 rating). That's a community that's more splintered than driftwood.

Lastly, the success of this film (along with Get Out and Lady Bird from last year) is going to continue to enable perhaps the most alarming trend in filmmaking right now: actors trying to direct. Too many are trying to do it all at once. And for every Orson Welles, it feels like there are ten James Francos. We need to stop fueling their inflated egos and actually let people actually trained to direct order the actors around. It's as if a high school student tried to teach a class.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Buscemi2 wrote:Lastly, the success of this film (along with Get Out and Lady Bird from last year) is going to continue to enable perhaps the most alarming trend in filmmaking right now: actors trying to direct. [/b]Too many are trying to do it all at once. And for every Orson Welles, it feels like there are ten James Francos. We need to stop fueling their inflated egos and actually let people actually trained to direct order the actors around. It's as if a high school student tried to teach a class.
Wholeheartedly agree. Those soulless hacks Peele, Gerwig and Krasinski need to stick to acting!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

You misinterpreted my entire point. For every Get Out, you end up with a bunch of these soulless exercises in navel-gazing that only got made because the actor had clout. And they glut up the film festivals and VOD services every year. For example, look at Lost River from a few years back. Do you think that film would have gotten made and released by a major studio had it not been made by Ryan Gosling? And there are rumors that Bradley Cooper's directorial debut is terrible and that it's getting emergency reshoots.

I get that you're easy to impress and will jump to conclusions if you don't agree with something, Tranny, but it's a trend that needs to die. I'm all for actors making something. But they need to prove they can actually make a movie and not say they directed something to satisfy their self-worth. As I said, not enough Orsons, too many Francos.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

How so? You opened your tangent by stating that the success of Lady Bird, Get Out and A Quiet Place was going to continue to enable this "alarming" trend of actors directing. Actors have been trying their hands at directing for decades and I don't believe that the critical and commercial performance of the aforementioned trio of films is going to suddenly cause a substantial spike in the number of projects helmed by actors. Are some projects going to greenlit just because they were directed by a respected actor (i.e Lost River, The Last Face)? Sure. Are all these projects going to be quality? Of course not. However, I think it's ridiculous to get worked up because some actors have gotten behind the camera and made well-received films in the past 12-18 months.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Buscemi2 wrote: I get that you're easy to impress and will jump to conclusions if you don't agree with something, Tranny
You should try to learn how to have a discussion with people online without insulting them. Especially people you've been having the same discussions with for over a decade now.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Souless hacks, Alarming trends, heh.

I wouldnt call Clint Eastwood Orson Welles.

But hey, we've been playing this game long enough to know that the audience who pays to go watch something is the big picture. Of recent times how can we explain the success of I can only, imagine, black panther, the boss baby, girls trip, the emoji movie!? etc....

As for genre movies to break out i can think of those August hits like The Help, The Butler and those late summer movies with Meryl Streep
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Buscemi2 wrote:I'm all for actors making something. But they need to prove they can actually make a movie and not say they directed something to satisfy their self-worth. As I said, not enough Orsons, too many Francos.
how are they supposed to prove they can direct a movie with out them directing a movie?

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Weekend Actuals

Top 10:
5 points - A Quiet Place, $50.2M (5)
4 points - Ready Player One, $24.6M (9)
3 points - Blockers, $20.6M (3)
2 points - Black Panther, $8.7M (34)
1 point - Tyler Perry's Acrimony, $8.4M (5)
I Can Only Imagine, $7.8M
Chappaquiddick, $5.8M
Sherlock Gnomes, $5.4M
Pacific Rim Uprising, $4.8M
Isle of Dogs, $4.6M
The Miracle Season, $4.0M

PTA:
5 points - You Were Never Really Here, $44,276 (5)
4 points - A Quiet Place, $14,311 (4)
3 points - Lean on Pete, $11,744 (3)
2 points - Isle of Dogs, $8,236 (2)
1 point - Where is Kyra?, $7,000 (1)

Spiral did not report. Which is fine, because no one picked it anyway.

I will post the Super League updates tomorrow.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

If, 9 months ago you would have said Black Panther would make 34 Top 5 points and top Titanic's BO, i would have called you crazy. How many PTA did it pick up?

Christ, what a game changer! Has anyone here seen it and disliked it? Is there any reason to not watch it...

And A Quiet Place with over 50 OW, is pretty nuts as well.

OK, lets take a look at summer, is there ANY movie that will come close to Black Panthers numbers?!
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Adjusted for inflation, the original Jurassic World, Jurassic Park, and Avengers (which includes Black Panther) are above BP, so you've got to give the sequels a chance at it.

Avengers is trading at $570 right now on HSX, which puts it $160 M above Ultron and $50M above the original.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Infinity War is going to make a stupid amount of money, but it more than likely won't pass Black Panther. Other than that, I don't see anything else on this summer slate even flirting with $600 mil+.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Black Panther earned 25 PTA points. Yeah, I agree. I can see Avengers easily topping $500M, but $600 is a stretch. JW:LK I see maxing out around $400-450M.