Down the Rabbit Hole with Buscemi: December 1st-3rd

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Down the Rabbit Hole with Buscemi: December 1st-3rd

Post by Shrykespeare »

Weekend Estimates

Top 10:
5 points - Coco, $26.1M
4 points - Justice League, $16.6M
3 points - Wonder, $12.5M
2 points - Thor: Ragnarok, $9.7M
1 point - Daddy's Home 2, $7.5M
Murder on the Orient Express, $6.7M
Lady Bird, $4.5M
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, $4.5M
The Star, $4.0M
A Bad Moms Christmas, $3.5M

PTA:
5 points - The Shape of Water
4 points - Call Me By Your Name
3 points - The Disaster Artist
2 points - Wonder Wheel
1 point - Darkest Hour

When was the last time 5 limited release films occupied every spot in the PTA list? It's been a while...

Funny how Daddy's Home 2 has beaten Orient Express every weekend since their simultaneous release, and yet Orient Express has earned more money.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Retirees and part-timers like to watch movies too.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Shrykespeare wrote:
W wrote:If it plays well here It’ll be because the promos make it look like an Apatow production.
In what way, W?
Maybe it’s just that one promo I saw in theaters where Rogen is directing Franco to like 150 takes. I don’t think I’ve seen anything else.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

That was the teaser trailer (and the scene actually took 32 takes). The later trailer fleshed out the story more (and the Judd Apatow cameo, something that didn't happen in real life, was even in the final trailer) and makes it look like your typical Hollywood success story (of which I'm afraid the final film is because on how much the film depicts that the book didn't, also it was adapted by a pair of hacks who usually seem to do cheesy romance stories).

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I saw The Disaster Artist yesterday and found it to be a pretty accurate adaptation of the book and not even remotely close in tone or execution to any other Rogen/Apatow project. However, there's about a .01% chance that you''ll like it Boosh.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

But the book doesn't include the aftermath, which the trailer clearly shows, and scenes are depicted in the marketing implying events that either never happened or happened differently (artistic license seems to ruin 99% of biopics, mainly because people end up believing the things that didn't happen more than the truth). I also bet that the film did not keep the non-linear structure of the book.

Lastly, Dave Franco is not even close to being as attractive as Greg Sestero (and clearly only got cast due to his relation to the director).

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Buscemi2 wrote:But the book doesn't include the aftermath, which the trailer clearly shows, and scenes are depicted in the marketing implying events that either never happened or happened differently (artistic license seems to ruin 99% of biopics, mainly because people end up believing the things that didn't happen more than the truth). I also bet that the film did not keep the non-linear structure of the book.

Lastly, Dave Franco is not even close to being as attractive as Greg Sestero (and clearly only got cast due to his relation to the director).
Glad to know you already have your obligatory pre-viewing negative review cued up. Looking forward to see if you end up giving it a 2 or 3.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Look, the movie is almost never as good as the book and The Disaster Artist is one of the best film-related books ever written. Franco has a history of directing self-indulgent crap. I have far higher expectations for this than "make me laugh, weird French guy and dude bros". The making of stuff isn't even the best part of the book, it's the relationship stuff and how ridiculously insane Tommy is while also being a multi-faceted character. I get the feeling the film takes all of that away and tries to blur Tommy and Johnny as one character.

The perfect adaptation of this would a two-and-a-hour epic with Greg as the main character (it's his story, not Tommy's) and the focus mainly being the relationship rather than "let's laugh the guy with the accent".

And if you want to prove me wrong, just post your review and say that it's nothing like the marketing. Because I have a hard time believing that it's like the book (of which I've not only read but have listened to the audiobook as well).

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

You have a pre-conceived notion of the film and there's nothing anyone can say to change that. Plus even if you hadn't already decided that the film was a blasphemous, self-indulgent pile of shit, my opinion holds absolutely no weight in the grand scheme of things. All I'll say is that the 1st half of the film primarily focuses on the development of Greg and Tommy's relationship and the 2nd half covers the behind-the-scenes stuff on The Room. It clearly condenses and alters some of the events that occurred in the book, but I felt that it did an excellent job of capturing the unusual friendship, string of Hollywood failures and child-like dreaming that helped give birth to one of the most beloved cult movies in the history of cinema.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

So they did remove the non-linear structure, one of the most unique elements of the book (I don't care if audiences would have had difficulty following it, it's their fault for insisting on the same concepts over and over and not broadening their horizons). From what it sounds like, they did turn it into a generic Hollywood biopic.

I'll still see it but I'll be surprised if it's more than just another James Franco film, albeit one where there's actually things that might be funny beyond the trailers.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Yes they removed the non-linear structure, but I wouldn't classify it as a standard biopic either.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Dude, if you were expecting a profound biopic from a film directed by Franco, you have your expectations misaligned.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Weekend Actuals

Top 10:
5 points - Coco, $27.5M (10)
4 points - Justice League, $16.7M (13)
3 points - Wonder, $12.1M (10)
2 points - Thor: Ragnarok, $99M (17)
1 point - Daddy's Home 2, $7.6M (8)
Murder on the Orient Express, $6.8M
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, $4.4M
Lady Bird, $4.3M
The Star, $4.1M
A Bad Moms Christmas, $3.4M

PTA:
5 points - The Shape of Water, $83,282 (5)
4 points - Call Me By Your Name, $73,890 (9)
3 points - The Disaster Artist, $63,755 (3)
2 points - Wonder Wheel, $28,111 (2)
1 point - Darkest Hour, $27,093 (5)

Holy shit. $27K is good enough for FIFTH place. Been a while since THAT'S happened, too.

I'm a little under the weather today, so I'll update all the leagues tomorrow.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Hey, how about that. Kingsman made it to nine digits. Yay.