Walleye's Weekly Winners: The Films of 11/17

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: Walleye's Weekly Winners: The Films of 11/17

Post by Buscemi2 »

And Wonder got an A+ Cinemascore. Only two films released this year (Hidden Figures and Patriots Day were expansions from the previous year) have gotten an A+ rating and I had them both (can we make it three-for-three with Coco?).

Meanwhile, Justice League got a B+ (higher than Batman v. Superman and the same as Suicide Squad but lower than Man of Steel and Wonder Woman) and The Star got an A.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Friday Estimates

Justice League, $38.8M
Wonder, $9.6M
Thor: Ragnarok, $5.8M
Murder on the Orient Express, $4.1M
Daddy's Home 2, $3.9M
The Star, $2.8M
A Bad Moms Christmas, $2.3M

Weekend Projections:

Justice League, $90M
Wonder, $27M
Thor: Ragnarok, $21M
Murder on the Orient Express, $14.1M
Daddy's Home 2, $13M
The Star, $9M
A Bad Moms Christmas, $6.5M
Lady Bird, $2.3M
Jigsaw, $1M

PTA:

Justice League, $22.2K
Three Billboards, $20.1K
Lady Bird, $9.6K
Wonder, $8.7K
Thor: Ragnarok, $5.1K

No numbers yet on Roman Israel.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I tried to see Wonder just now. Turns out, everyone else was seeing Wonder and the theatre decided to dump it into one of their smaller auditoriums. I could have gone to another theatre but I expected the same thing but louder. Therefore, I did not see Wonder.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

That's terrific for Wonder. Terrible for Justice League, even more so after all the goodwill brought by Wonder Woman to the brand. At this rate, Disney is going to buy DC next year.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'm thinking of Justice League as being like both Mockingjays. The opening weekend wasn't that great and the response was muted compared to the well-received previous installments but they had Thanksgiving and Christmas to make their money. $90 million is a slight disappointment (but still impressive, even when the $300 million budget is brought into account) but remember, Wonder Woman's opening take was considered by some a disappointment when compared to Batman v. Superman and Suicide Squad (does anyone remember when the first Hobbit broke the December opening weekend record only to be considered a flop by the media simply because it didn't hit $100 million?).

The flop of the week is most definitely The Star. Another Sony bomb that even the Evangelical audience seems to be avoiding (the industry needs to stop trying to make religious films happen, the only people who actually want them are theatre chain owners).

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Let's go Wonder! Wahoo!

And sorry, Boosh, Evangelicals do want movies. It's just that in spite of how they are often perceived by many in America, they are way more diverse than most realize. And it's hard to make a movie for "Evangelicals" since their tastes and views are pretty divergent.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

If Evangelicals want movies, then why don't they show up for them? Even the Pure Flix "for them, by them" brand of filmmaking hasn't connected with this group that hates all joy because they can't feel it themselves.

Other than God's Not Dead (which was less a movie and more a narrow-minded political statement) and War Room, the only other successful religious film in recent memory was Noah and the Evangelical community hated it because it was a mainstream, wide-appealed film that could play outside of mega church-heavy areas (it more than doubled the domestic gross internationally).

If anything, the industry is too nice to the community when they should ignore them. They will continue to believe all the political and spiritual myths while Hollywood caters to their ugly, hate-filled whims. If the film industry want to change, they need to push out that jive. There is no love among a lot of the religious community.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Weekend Estimates

Top 10:
5 points - Justice League, $96M
4 points - Wonder, $27M
3 points - Thor: Ragnarok, $21.8M
2 points - Daddy's Home 2, $14.8M
1 point - Murder on the Orient Express, $13.8M
The Star, $10M
A Bad Moms Christmas, $6.9M
Lady Bird, $2.5M
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, $1.1M
Jigsaw, $1.1M

PTA:
5 points - Justice League
4 points - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri
3 points - Roman J. Israel, Esq.
2 points - Lady Bird
1 point - Wonder

No word on Sweet Virginia or Song of Granite (which no one picked anyway).

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

thats a stunning debut from Wonder! I nearly maxed out on it in HSX.com and doubled my money :)

As for Justice League, seems like im destined to finish last in box office full thanks to that opening. Will it even reach $200M?
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Some people are going to get fired because of JL's opening. Ouch, it's a weird day and age where a $94M opening is considered a flop.

I'm going to have to go see Wonder. I'm always inspired by movies that can break out nowadays. It doesn't happen that often.

boosh, I would think by now that you don't believe Hollywood is one single entity and it's their responsibility to serve or not serve certain demographics. Nowadays people can pick up an iphone and make a movie. If there are people out there who want to spend their money on a movie with niche appeal, whats it matter.

As for why most evangelicals don't show up, it's because most of these movies are terrible. I'm a christian or an 'evangelical' if that's what you want to call me. Yet, I could care less for most of these movies. Yea there might be a small minority that shows up to these solely because the they are 'clean' and they talk about god, yet most plots are insulting, the acting is cringe worthy and the production value is usually nonexistent. I can't speak for everyone, but id rather go see anything else than these movies

For what it's worth, i'm sorry for all the hate you seem to have experienced from 'evangelicals'. I know it might not mean much from some random guy on the internet, when you have personal experience from these people, but we're not all hate filled and bigoted. A christians greatest commandment is to love. Those people that only love when they want to and whoever they think deserve it. they might behold themselves to some certain beliefs and traditions and bigoted ideas, but that doesn't mean they truly know what it means to be a christian.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Weekend Actuals

Top 10:
5 points - Justice League, $93.8M (5)
4 points - Wonder, $27.5M (4)
3 points - Thor: Ragnarok, $21.7M (13)
2 points - Daddy's Home 2, $14.4M (6)
1 point - Murder on the Orient Express, $13.8M (4)
The Star, $9.8M
A Bad Moms Christmas, $7.0M
Lady Bird, $2.5M
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, $1.1M
Jigsaw, $1.1M

PTA:
5 points - Justice League, $23,165 (5)
4 points - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, $20,796 (9)
3 points - Roman J. Israel, Esq., $15,500 (3)
2 points - Lady Bird, $10,573 (11)
1 point - Wonder, $8,898 (1)

Sweet Virginia - $5,183
Song of Granite - $3,096 (since it earned no points and no one picked it, I will remove it from the roster)