Walleye's Weekly Winners: The Films of 2/17

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Walleye413
Marv

Walleye's Weekly Winners: The Films of 2/17

Post by Walleye413 »

Well, it was a curious group of bedfellows this weekend, and I see more of the same from the threesome ahead. This past weekend Lego: Batman was supposed to dominate and be the first Mega-hit of the year. In the end it opened big, but not Awesome. It’ll do well going forward, but I’m not sure 200 million will be in the bricks. Fifty Shades Darker was supposed to be bad, and pale in comparison to the originals opening weekend. That was mostly true, although it’s (ahem) held up well throughout the week now too mostly thanks to the Valentines Day crowd. John Wick was supposed to build on the goodwill, and high body count of the original, but it broke out way bigger than just about anyone expected, being perhaps the biggest surprise of the weekend. And A United Kingdom won the PTA honors over them all. Curious.

This weekend, however, I think we have the oddest trio of movies I can recall coming out in the same frame. Will any of them best a second helping of our leftovers? Will any of them be worth adding to your slates? I’m staying away from these oddballs myself, but read on if you’re brave and desperate for slate fillers.

Our first movie is Fist Fight – which doesn’t sound like a bad idea for a movie. It’s an R-rated High School comedy in the vein of Three O’Clock High (an underrated gem from the 80’s), only this time it’s the teachers throwing down. Ice Cube is the main star here, but the supporting cast is pretty solid – as is the second lead: Charlie Day. With a lack of comedies, especially ones geared towards adults, this has as much potential as anything coming out this month – but the punches won’t quite land I’m afraid. I should open in the high teens – 18 million let’s say on it’s way to 37 million total. But that will only get your 4th place this week. As your Math Teacher told you many times, you can do better.

Second to the deck is the “controversial” The Great Wall, starring Matt Damon. Hence the controversy. This is a movie set in China, with a whole lot of Chinese influence behind the camera and in front of it. So why the white lead? Money. Pretty simple. Can’t say that I blame the producers for trying to sell their product, and honestly Matt Damon is quite a sell in China. In fact, I’m predicting that The Great Wall will make way more in China (171 million already) than it will in the U.S., and Matt will be part of that. In America, however, it sure feels like whitewashing, and when you look at how Gods of Egypt and Exodus were received, expect an even weaker opening for The Great Wall. It’ll make 16 million it’s opening weekend, on it’s way to $32 million, one of the bigger bombs of Matt’s career (Stateside, not Worldwide). Don’t fall for the Wall.

Finally, we get A Cure for Wellness. I’ll be honest, I thought this movie would bomb, and I think it still might. But dang, if it didn’t have the best movie commercial of the Super Bowl. If you missed it – check it out on YouTube is was seriously clever. Will that translate into actual butts in seats? Well not enough to make it worth it: Too little, too late I’m afraid. A Cure for Wellness stars the amazing Dane DeHaan – who should definitely be in more movies. He’s tasked with retrieving his companies CEO from the weirdest Club Med you’ve ever seen. Instead of doing the rescuing he ends up trapped himself, and that’s not even the creepy part. Sadly, a Cure for Wellness will open to single digits, a 9 million opening is likely, with a 20 million total at best. There are better slate fillers at this price range, as with all of the above.

Rumor has it Land of Mine was supposed to open in limited release this weekend as well, but based on all my research I think that ship has sailed. Looks like it opened in December – and even with the Oscar Nom, it’s not getting anymore screens this weekend. If I’m wrong, feel free to add it to your slates and make me look dumb. But otherwise, I think it’s lost money. Should have picked A United Kingdom, which will win the PTA crown again.

That’s the end of another weird week. Come back next weekend as Collide, Get Out, and Rock Dog stumble into theaters. Is February always this lame?

Top 5:
Lego Batman
John Wick 2
Fifty Shades Darker
Fist Fight
The Great Wall

PTA
A United Kingdom
Fist Fight
Lego Batman
John Wick
I Am Not Your Negro

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Walleye's Weekly Winners: The Films of 2/17

Post by numbersix »

Pretty accurate numbers, Walleye, although I think Fist Fight's legs should be decent - I'm thinking closer to 20 for the 4-day and around 50m cume.

Land of Mine had an academy release, but it apparently got a release last week and failed to make any PTA, so will probably fail this week too.

1. The LEGO Batman Movie - $32m ($40m 4-day)
2. Fist Fight - $17m ($20m 4-day)
3. The Great Wall - $15m ($17m 4-day)
3. John Wick Chapter Two - $14m ($16m 4-day)
5. Fifty Shades Darker - $13m ($14m 4-day)

PTA: LEGO Batman, United Kingdom, Fist Fight, The Great Wall, John Wick 2

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

4-day weekend actuals:
5 points-The Lego Batman Movie $42.7 mil
4 points-Fifty Shades Darker $22.7 mil
3 points-The Great Wall $21.5 mil
2 points-John Wick 2 $19.0 mil
1 point-Fist Fight $14.1 mil
Hidden Figures $9.0 mil
Split $8.5 mil
A Dog's Purpose $7.5 mil
La La Land $5.6 mil
Lion $5.1 mil
----
A Cure for Wellness $5.0 mil

PTA:
5 points-Lego Batman
4 points-A United Kingdom
3 points-The Great Wall
2 points-Fifty Shades Darker
1 point-John Wick 2
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

It’ll make 16 million it’s opening weekend, on it’s way to $32 million, one of the bigger bombs of Matt’s career (Stateside, not Worldwide).
I doubt they consider this a bomb. As you mentioned, the Asian's are eating it up like a girl in a bukakke video. Only Americans would consider this a bomb b/c it didn't do well here, which is short sighted. I would have to imagine they knew this wouldn't break out in the States, no? And I would imagine they are happy w/ the overall results.

Hey, just my opinion. And it also allowed me to throw a bukkake reference in there.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Brockster wrote:the Asian's are eating it up like a girl in a bukakke video
Brockster wrote:Hey, just my opinion. And it also allowed me to throw a bukkake reference in there.
I guess we all like to display our knowledge of foreign culture, so bravo to you Brock ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I saw it yesterday. The film is beautiful but the script is pretty clunky.