SIX TIPS, OR HOW TO PLEASE YOUR SLATE - FILMS OF 02/10

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

SIX TIPS, OR HOW TO PLEASE YOUR SLATE - FILMS OF 02/10

Post by numbersix »

Well, Hollywood, you have cast off the detritus that was your January and early February fare. You filled it with long-delayed sequels that we’ve all forgotten about, young adult adaptations because someone forgot to tell you it wasn’t 2012, and other flicks I can’t even remember because everyone has already forgotten. The success of an M Night Shamalamadingdong only proves what little choice couples and film-fans had. Now it’s time to get back on the saddle, and hit us with the best you’ve got. 3 sequels, Hollywood, really?

If something isn’t performing as well as it should, then LEGO-FY it! Worked for Star Wars, Indie Jones, and pretty much everything. And now it’s Batman’s turn, with The LEGO Batman Movie (Warner Bros), an animated facelift for the caped crusader who failed to wow when he took on, and kissed and made up, with Superman. This flick is part of a franchise that began 3 years ago when The LEGO Movie blew away all expectations with its irreverent and sometimes satirical hilarity. Here, Batman takes on the Joker while learning the value of those around him. But it’s really just an excuse to make fun of his emo tendencies.

The obvious comparison is the first LEGO movie, although since that was a surprise expect Bricky Batman to open higher. Much higher. Maybe not Deadpool high, but not far off. Reviews are just as good too, so expect solid, undetachable legs for this one. I’m going to say $80m for the 3-day and $110 for the 4-day weekend, holding well and closing near the $275m mark. That should result in about 20 Top 5 points, 6-7 PTA, and a 7+ IMDB score. That’s pretty impressive, although the big question is whether it’s more valuable than Beauty and the Beast, which Boxoffice.com is expecting to open to $144m. I’m thinking don’t look a gift plastic head in the mouth, and spend your $37-$46 on this.

It pains me even to mention Fifty Shades Darker (Universal) – pun intended. Curious about the original, I regretted every second of the 7,500 I had to sit through, which was about as daring as a rice cake and as appealing as diarrhea. Now the second part of the turgid trilogy is out, with more escapades between the stalker and the wooden plank. The first film opened high but dropped faster than your wife’s underwear after reading the books. I suspect the curiosity has been sated, and this will underperform greatly. A $40m 4-day will end with a $75m cume, getting it about 5 T5 points, 2 PTA, and a low IMDB. Not with the $15-18 it’ll cost you. Just stay home, save your money, act like Jamie Dornan (it’s not hard, he’s a terrible actor) and perform the sexy bits with your wife.

John Wick was a mid-level tongue-in-cheek hit, and now he’s back with the assuming John Wick: Chapter Two (Lionsgate/Summit). Keanu Reeves returns. Last time they got his dog, this time… ah who cares? It’s Keanu shooting up things. The good will from the last film should result in better results this time, although it’s unfortunately coming out on a competitive weekend. Still, it’s more man-centric than the other two. A 4-day opening in the low $20s and a cume of around $50m is in store, although it could go higher. For $10 or $11 in Ult you’ll only get 4 T5 points max, and maybe a single PTA point, accompanied by a reasonable IMDB score. You might find better value in Fist Fight or Get Out. However, for $10 in BO it’s worth a shot.

Finally, the only limited release this week is A United Kingdom (Fox Searchlight). Rosamund Pike and David Oyelowo (good luck pronouncing that surname) play star-crossed lovers, one being a London gal, the other the Prince of Botswana. Presumably their love conquers racial divisions. Amma Asante had a hit a while back with race-themed Belle, but this film has less buzz. Still, with not much limited competition in February, you should see this nab about 6 PTA points. That’s okay for $4, but you’ll find better deals elsewhere.

My predictions for the weekend

1. The LEGO Batman Movie - $80m ($110m 4-day)
2. Fifty Shades Darker - $35m ($40m 4-day)
3. John Wick Chapter Two - $18m ($22m 4-day)
4. Split - $8m ($10m 4-day)
5. A Dog’s Purpose - $7m ($8m 4day)

PTA: LEGO Batman, A United Kingdom, Fifty Shades, I Am Not Your Negro, John Wick 2

Next week Walleye has been given the challenge of predicting possibly the most wild-card weekend of the year, with the release of comedy Fist Fight, de-yellowed fantasy film The Great Wall, and gothic horror A Cure for Wellness, as well as Danish Oscar nominee Land of Mine.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: SIX TIPS, OR HOW TO PLEASE YOUR SLATE - FILMS OF 02/10

Post by Chienfantome »

Reviews I've read in France are so-so for Lego Batman, but the first one is beloved enough to make this a huge success. And it's indeed the other way around for 50 shades, the curiosity attracted by the first film will turn away this time, since the word of mouth was so bad on the first film. It will fade away quickly.
John Wick should do better than the first, but it's still a niche. You're about right on your predictions.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

but dropped faster than your wife’s underwear after reading the books.
Tis the reason I LOVE this book series. Man that was an awesome few months. I told her the other day that she probably needs to re-read the books before she goes to see the sequel.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

:lol:

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Weekend Actuals:
5 points-Lego Batman $53.0 mil
4 points-Fifty Shades Darker $46.6 mil
3 points-John Wick 2 $30.4 mil
2 points-Split $9.5 mil
1 point-Hidden Figures $8.0 mil
A Dog's Purpose $7.3 mil
Rings $5.6 mil
La La Land $4.9 mil
Lion $3.9 mil
Sing $1.7 mil

PTA:
5 points-A United Kingdom
4 points-Lego Batman
3 points-Fifty Shades Darker
2 points-John Wick 2
1 points-I Am Not Your Negro
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Oh boy was I off about LEGO Batman.

And look at John Wick's numbers!

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

I'm really surprised about Batman - all I had heard was excitement and energy - from critics and regular folks alike. Maybe it'll have long legs.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I'm sure it'll hold decently

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Catching up on celebrity birthdays:

Vanessa Redgrave turned 80 on 1/30
Kerry Washington turned 40 on 1/31