Special Report: Burgundy Strikes Fish!- The films of 12/2

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Special Report: Burgundy Strikes Fish!- The films of 12/2

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Before we dive in to the huge first weekend of December, lets recap last week. Moana took top spot as expected delivering Disney with their 3rd highest opening ever at over $55M ($81.1M over the 5 days of thanksgiving), but not by much, as Fantastic Beasts held fairly well and took in $45M for the OW ($55M 5 day). Coming in 3rd for the weekend and now 9th in 2016 overall is Dr Strange, proving to be a solid hit while at 4th place Allied (directed by Robert Zemeckis) disappointed with about $13M/$18M(3/5 day), only just lower than Dr Strange, which had less than $1M more. The real story is the 5th place finish of Arrival ($11M/$15M), which had a very small drop and may now have legs to reach over $80M after a mediocre start.

On the PTA front, Lion took the crown, Manchester By the Sea in 2nd taking the tally to 9 so far and Miss Sloane nabbed 3 points. Moana and Beasts rounded out the 5.

First off, we strike a fish and get: Incarnate
Tag: Faith has Failed Us

Yes, i have figured out how to display images of movie posters! Now, before you start bashing this movie coming from a studio which brought you The Darkness (High Top releasing, starring the master noseman Kevin Bacon), lets delve a little deeper. First off is last years Krampus, which delivered $16M OW last year and finished with $42M- that film which was released on the same weekend last year, also was the sole new film for the weekend! Brad Peyton, who helmed such greatness as Journey 2 (the center of the Earth and soon no. 3) and ALSO San Andreas (and soon no. 2). Now, just think on that and tell me we dont strike fish this weekend!

The films story goes a little like this, a Scientist (Aaron Eckhart) who has some nerve (really) to enter sub-conscious minds must rescue a little boy who has been getting attacked by a demon, but theres a twist, the Scientist has some problems of his own! This reminds me of The Cell with Jennifer Lopez, except this one is rated PG-13. Its getting released at 1500 cinemas

It will have some competition from last weekends studs, but nothing will stop this mini juggernaut from reaching AT LEAST 3 top 5 points and maybe 1 PTA. For $5, you have got yourself a bargain. Now, clear whatever flimsy films you got on your slate and consider it, then look at the next weekend, then think long and hard, because theres no room for error in this game!

Next up, our limited release: Jackie
Tag: I want them to see what they have done to Jack.

This is a story about Jackie Kennedy, the First Lady through John F Kennedy's assassination. Natalie Portman stars here with Peter Saarsgaaaard. First investigation into the director tells us he's done a film called No (pretty sure that earned some PTA points) and the writer has a resume of The Maze Runner and Allegiant.

However, the studio behind Jackie is Fox Searchlight, who have come up winners a few times before, with a platform release of 5 cinemas and (so far) a rating of 7.6 of imdb, consider a win-win situation. I cant see it losing, just cant. Find room for it, unless you're dead set on the Xmas flicks or next weeks La La Land.

My expectations for the weekend of 12/2:

1- Moana ($37M)
2- Fantastic Beasts ($25M)
3- Incarnate ($8M)
4- Arrival ($8M)
5- Dr Strange ($7M)

PTA
Jackie, Lion, Manchester By the Sea, Moana, Incarnate

Thanks for having me folks! In the wise words of Terminator; Ill be Back!
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Special Report: Burgundy Strikes Fish!- The films of 12/

Post by Shrykespeare »

You missed Things to Come (IFC), the French-German drama starring Isabelle Huppert. Anyone think this can crack the PTA Top 5?
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

It might. It's the new film from Eden's Mia Hansen-Love, and the lead is Isabelle Huppert who's gaining attention these days thanks to her turn in Verhoeven's Elle. So it could get a couple of points.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Thanks for the early article, Ron. But I'm going to disagree with you on Incarnate. It's got even less buzz than most early December releases, and High Top hardly have a history of strong results, with The Darkness being their top earner ($10m cume). I think that's the best Incarnate can hope for, and I see it opening to about $3m and making only 6.

Things to Come probably has the best chance of earning PTA points, but it'll be 1 at best.

Slim pickins this week.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

apologies to Things to Come, the title says it all. Ill deliver an edit tomorrow.

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

I can't get a read on the holds for Moana and Beasts - they both did quite well this past weekend. I think drops of less than 40% are in order, but how much less?

And I think Jackie has one week to make hay before La La Land is the darling of the month, and the Oscar season.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Friday Estimates:

Moana, $6.4M
Fantastic Beasts, $5.0M
Allied, $2.2M
Arrival, $2.1M
Doctor Strange, $1.7M

Weekend Projections:

Moana, $29M
Fantastic Beasts, $16M
Arrival, $7.2M
Allied, $7M
Doctor Strange, $6.5M
Trolls, $4.5M
Hacksaw Ridge, $3.4M
Bad Santa 2, $3M
Almost Christmas, $2.4M
Incarnate, $2M

PTA:
Jackie, $52K
Lion, $12K
Manchester, $12K
Miss Sloane, $8K
Moana, $7K

Celebrity birthdays:

Joe Dante turned 70 on 11/28
Anna Faris turned 40 on 11/29
Chadwick Boseman turned 40 on 11/29

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Weekend Estimates

Top 10:
5 points - Moana, $28.4M
4 points - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, $18.6M
3 points - Arrival, $7.3M
2 points - Allied, $7.0M
1 point - Doctor Strange, $6.5M
Trolls, $4.6M
Hacksaw Ridge, $3.4M
Bad Santa 2, $3.3M
Incarnate, $2.6M
Almost Christmas, $2.5M

PTA:
5 points - Jackie, $55,000
4 points - Lion, $17,176
3 points - Manchester by the Sea, $15,151
2 points - Things to Come, $11,030
1 point - Miss Sloane, $11,000

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Incarnate bombed hard, i think i talked myself into thinking it was going to open better. Those damn voices in my head ;)

And my apologies for not writing up Things to Come. No excuses

Jackie did much better than i thought it would, Is Natalie Portman in the running to win an oscar??

And Arrival keeps chugging along, incase you havent seen it, and you like Sci-Fi/Drama- i highly recommend it

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I can't decide whether that poster for Incarnate is supposed to be a subtle allusion to how most of us have religion shoved down our throats from an early age, or if it's an even subtler allusion to teabagging.

Either way, it looks like the marketing department was bored and disillusioned working on this inevitable flop and decided to slip one past the producers.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Weekend Actuals

Top 10:
5 points - Moana, $28.3M
4 points - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, $18.1M
3 points - Arrival, $7.3M
2 points - Allied, $7.0M
1 point - Doctor Strange, $6.7M
Trolls, $4.7M