Tranny Tackles the Cinema: The Films of 9/23

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

transformers2
John Rambo

Tranny Tackles the Cinema: The Films of 9/23

Post by transformers2 »

America's geriatrics just can't stop getting high with Sully.

Clint Eastwood's biopic about the life of heroic pilot/prolific goose murderer Sully Sullenberger dropped just 38% from its opening weekend and easily took the top spot at box office with $21.6 mil. Sully's 2nd straight box office crown brought its total gross to a very impressive $70 mil through 10 days of release and a final total of at least $120 mil seems highly likely.

The success of Sully was about the only positive that came out out of last weekend as all three new releases (unwanted horror sequel Blair Witch, even more unwanted quirky British romantic comedy sequel Bridget Jones' Baby and the necessary, but sadly unwanted biopic Snowden) opened to under $10 mil. The collective failure of these new releases resulted in a paltry $74.9 mi haul for the box office's 12 highest grossing films, which made it the second lowest grossing weekend of 2016 so far and led to a 4th straight weekend in which the top 12 films at the box office failed to generate $100 mil in ticket sales. With a pair of huge wide releases in The Magnificent Seven and Storks on the docket, this weekend seems poised to break Hollywood's month-long box office slump.

Wide Releases:
The Magnificent Seven (Sony/Columbia): Westerns don't have a track of setting the box office ablaze in the modern era. The only traditional western that has grossed over $100 mil in the 2010's so far was the Cohen Brothers' True Grit and that film's terrific $171 mil BO haul was largely due to the heavy awards buzz behind it. However, The Magnificent Seven isn't your average western. Antonie Fuqua's remake of the 1960 film, which itself was a remake of the Japanese classic Seven Samurai, boasts a racially-diverse, ensemble cast anchored by superstars Denzel Washington and Chris Pratt, a reported production budget of $100 million and received the type of marketing push and high theater count (approximately 3,600) that are reserved for major studio tentpoles.

With a soft slate of films surrounding it and the early reviews pegging it to be the action-heavy, mass crowd-pleaser the trailers pegged it to be, The Magnificent Seven has the potential to be a behemoth in our fair game. I'm predicting 18 Top 5, 10 PTA, an OW of $51 mil and a final gross around $150 mil. At $25 in ULT and $26 BO, The Magnificent Seven is one of only a handful of films I would declare a must-have for the SEP-NOV season.

Storks (Warner Brothers): The animated debut from Nicolas Stoller (Neighbors, Forgetting Sarah Marshall) cleverly plays with the long-standing myth (?) of babies being delivered by storks. In this film's universe, Storks have transitioned from delivering babies to the world of delivering packages (it's like Amazon except with birds!) However, one last baby has magically appeared at the Storks processing center and, now the top delivery stork (Andy Samberg) and his human co-worker (Katie Crown) must scramble to deliver it without their ruthless boss (Kelsey Grammer) finding out.

Storks could not possibly be released at a better time. The animated marketplace has been relatively barren since The Secret Life of Pets came out at the beginning of July and the family audience is more than ready to sink their teeth into a new film after two months of inactivity. At $17 in ULT and $18 in BO, Storks has the potential to be one of the best value picks of the SEP-November season. I'm thinking it will end up with 11 Top 5, 6 PTA, an OW of $29 mil and a final gross of $105 mil. I personally think Trolls-which will run you $19 in ULT and $20 in BO- is going to do a bit better, but Storks is a still very solid pick for its price in both formats.

Limited Releases:
Queen of Katwe (Disney): Fact-based inspirational sports dramas are one of the most steady subgenres in the film industry. Audiences love to see heartwarming stories of underdogs succeeding against all odds and despite the onslaught of similar-themed films hitting multiplexes every year, it's a movement that's highly unlikely to ever fade away. Disney's The Queen of Katwe applies those classic, feel-good tropes to the invigorating world of.... competitive chess?

All kidding aside, the story of Phiona Mutesi (portrayed in the film by newcomer Madina Nalwanga) is pretty remarkable. Mutesi was able to overcome a childhood plagued by loss and poverty in Uganda to become a Woman Candidate Master (a chess title that my uncultured ass can't fucking understand, but I'm sure it's a prestigious honor) after her strong performance in the 40th Chess Olympiad in 2012. With this title, Mutesi- along with her teammate Ivy Amoko- became the first female players from Uganda to ever win at the Olympiads.

Queen of Katwe picked up a nice boost of momentum as it won second runner-up for the coveted Audience Award at the Toronto Film Festival last weekend, but a theater count of 52 and a solid yet completely unremarkable RT score of 75% is a bit concerning for its PTA chances. However, it should be to pick up at least 3 PTA points in a really thin field before it expands wide next weekend. Queen of Katwe is a pretty good BO option at $3 (I expect it to pull down $5-8 mil during its theatrical run), but given its high theater count and quick expansion plans, it's probably not worth the $5 in ULT, especially with films like Bleed for This and Loving holding better value at the same price tag.

The Dressmaker (Broad Green): Given the presence of widely-lauded actresses Kate Winslet and Judy Davis in the top-billed roles, you would expect The Dressmaker to be a PTA darling, but given its middling criteria reception (currently at 57% on RT) and general lack of buzz surrounding it, that doesn't seem to be the case. The Australian period comedy/drama is being dumped into 37 theaters after a relatively successful run overseas last fall. Carrying a low price tag ($3) and a respectable IMDB rating (7.1), it's not a film that will sink your slate, but there are a slew of other PTA options available this season that have higher upside. I expect it to pick up 2 PTA points before getting swallowed up by the likes of American Honeyand Denial next weekend.

1.The Magnificent Seven $51 mil
2.Storks $29 mil
3.Sully $14 mil
4.Bridget Jones' Baby $5 mil
5.Snowden $4.5 mil

PTA: The Magnificent Seven, Queen of Katwe, Storks, The Dressmaker, Sully

Stay tuned next week as Banks (possibly) returns to break down real-life disaster flick Deepwater Horizon, Tim Burton's latest fantasy quirkfest Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, long-delayed ensemble comedy Masterminds and polarizing indie road trip film American Honey starring the beacon of sanity otherwise known as Shia LaBoeuf.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Tranny Tackles the Cinema: The Films of 9/23

Post by numbersix »

Great first Weekend Analysis Tranny. And you're pretty much spot on in terms of every film. I would say Storks will go higher, for the reasons you mentioned. Hotel Transylvania 1 and 2 opened above 40, and the Cloudy films both opened above 30. I'm thinking 35 OW and a 120m cume, making it more enticing at this point than Trolls, which I think could suffer when Fantastic Beasts comes out followed by Moana.

And yeah, The Dressmaker feels like a dump. It did okay in Oz but not convinced it'll so much in the US. Finally, do you think a 8m cume is good for a $3 film? I always work from a minimum 4x multiplier in terms of bang for buck in this game, which means Queen of Katwe needs to make over $12m, and I'm not sure it can pull that off.

Anyhoo

1.The Magnificent Seven $50 mil
2.Storks $34 mil
3.Sully $13 mil
4.Bridget Jones' Baby $5 mil
5.Snowden $4.5 mil

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

numbersix wrote:Great first Weekend Analysis Tranny. And you're pretty much spot on in terms of every film. I would say Storks will go higher, for the reasons you mentioned. Hotel Transylvania 1 and 2 opened above 40, and the Cloudy films both opened above 30. I'm thinking 35 OW and a 120m cume, making it more enticing at this point than Trolls, which I think could suffer when Fantastic Beasts comes out followed by Moana.

And yeah, The Dressmaker feels like a dump. It did okay in Oz but not convinced it'll so much in the US. Finally, do you think a 8m cume is good for a $3 film? I always work from a minimum 4x multiplier in terms of bang for buck in this game, which means Queen of Katwe needs to make over $12m, and I'm not sure it can pull that off.
Thanks six! As your question on Queen of Katwe, I consider any $3 BO pick that can make over $1-2 mil to be a solid pick. That being said, I tend to completely disregard multipliers (and math in general for that matter) when I'm putting together my slates, which probably explains why I'm so mediocre at this game :lol: .
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

great column Tranny!

I think we're all underestimating Mag 7, Chris Pratt and Denzel should make it a blockbuster, i could see it opening over $60m
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Friday Estimates:

Magnificent Seven, $12.7M
Storks, $5.7M
Sully, $4.1M
Bridget Jones, $1.5M
Blair Witch, $1.3M
Snowden, $1.2M
Don't Breathe, $1.1M

Weekend Projections:

Magnificent Seven, $34.5M
Storks. $18.5M
Sully, $14M
Bridget Jones, $4.6M
Snowden, $3.9M
Blair Witch, $3.8M
Don't Breathe, $3.7M
Suicide Squad, $3.2M
When the Bough, $2.2M
Kubo/Two Strings, $1.3M

Queen of Katwe, $250K

So M7 will have a PTA over $8K, QoK will end up around $5K, same as Storks.

Celebrity Milestone Birthdays:

Gary Cole turned 60 on 9/20
Jason Flemyng turns 50 on 9/25
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Weekend Estimates

Top 10:
5 points - The Magnificent Seven, $35.0M
4 points - Storks, $21.8M
3 points - Sully, $13.8M
2 points - Bridget Jones' Baby, $4.5M
1 point - Snowden, $4.1M
Blair Witch, $3.9M
Don't Breathe, $3.8M
Suicide Squad, $3.1M
When the Bough Breaks, $2.5M
Kubo & the Two Strings, $1.1M
Hell or High Water, $1.1M
Bad Moms, $1.0M

PTA:
5 points - The Magnificent Seven
4 points - The Queen of Katwe
3 points - Storks.
2 points - The Dressmaker
1 point - Sully

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Magnificent 7 and Storks way lower than we initially thought then, huh.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

For some reason the expectations got super inflated the past few weeks. Realistic expectations should have been at the high end of a Denzel Washington film and I think they were not too long ago. And Storks definitely didn't have the buzz of Cloudy or Hotel Transylvania, but was still treated as such. Not a clue why. I haven't heard of anyone anticipating Storks. And I haven't seen nearly as much marketing for it as the past few big September animated releases. I think both are in a good position to hold well though.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Weekend Actuals

Top 10:
5 points - The Magnificent Seven, $34.7M
4 points - Storks, $21.3M
3 points - Sully, $13.5M
2 points - Bridget Jones' Baby, $4.7M
1 point - Snowden, $4.056M
Blair Witch, $4.053M
Don't Breathe, $3.7M
Suicide Squad, $3.1M
When the Bough Breaks, $2.5M
Kubo & the Two Strings, $1.1M
Hell or High Water, $1.1M

PTA:
5 points - Mia Madre, $9,480
4 points - The Magnificent Seven, $9,446
3 points - The Queen of Katwe, $5,864
2 points - Storks, $5.434
1 point - The Dressmaker - $5,143

Whoa? Mia Madre? Where'd that come from?!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Might want to keep an eye on that, Shryke. BOM often screw up on some of the smaller figures for the first Actuals update. The data suggests Mia Madre dropped down to 2 theatres and thus had a PTA bounce but I'm suspicious it got that amount.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

numbersix wrote:Might want to keep an eye on that, Shryke. BOM often screw up on some of the smaller figures for the first Actuals update. The data suggests Mia Madre dropped down to 2 theatres and thus had a PTA bounce but I'm suspicious it got that amount.

Will do. If by next week the numbers haven't changed, I'll assume they're legit.