COLUMN SCHEDULE

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: COLUMN SCHEDULE

Post by numbersix »

I'll take it

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Will we be including A Gentleman in the game? Because if we do, I might have to step in and explain this one (sorry, Tranny).

Meanwhile, what's the latest on the October columns? Because I'd like to throw my name into October 6th if possible.

Edit: Walleye, you'll need to cover Detroit in your article this week instead of me next week. Annapurna is opening in New York and Los Angeles this Friday before expanding wide.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Buscemi wrote:Will we be including A Gentleman in the game? Because if we do, I might have to step in and explain this one (sorry, Tranny).

Meanwhile, what's the latest on the October columns? Because I'd like to throw my name into October 6th if possible.

Edit: Walleye, you'll need to cover Detroit in your article this week instead of me next week. Annapurna is opening in New York and Los Angeles this Friday before expanding wide.
It wasn't on the pricing scheme, but I can add it.

I will put the October films up now, and pencil you in for October 6.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Thanks.

And here are a few titles that may be up for debate to include:

9/1 - Close Encounters of the Third Kind (nationwide reissue), Inhumans (getting an IMAX run for two weeks before the September 29th premiere on ABC)
9/8 - 9/11 (wide release drama with Charlie Sheen)
9/15 - Brad's Status (Steve Carell film)
9/29 - Lucky (drama with Harry Dean Stanton), Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down the White House (biopic with Liam Neeson), A Question of Faith (the latest Pure Flix schlockfest)
10/6 - Dina (Sundance-winning documentary)
10/27 - Novitate (religious drama), Professor Marston and the Wonder Women (biopic with Luke Evans), The Square (Palme d'Or winner)
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I'll continue my streak of covering the last weekend of the month and take 10/27
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Buscemi wrote:Thanks.

And here are a few titles that may be up for debate to include:

9/1 - Close Encounters of the Third Kind (nationwide reissue), Inhumans (getting an IMAX run for two weeks before the September 29th premiere on ABC)
9/8 - 9/11 (wide release drama with Charlie Sheen)
9/15 - Brad's Status (Steve Carell film)
9/29 - Lucky (drama with Harry Dean Stanton), Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down the White House (biopic with Liam Neeson), A Question of Faith (the latest Pure Flix schlockfest)
10/6 - Dina (Sundance-winning documentary)
10/27 - Novitate (religious drama), Professor Marston and the Wonder Women (biopic with Luke Evans), The Square (Palme d'Or winner)

Brad's Status was added to the pricing schemes this month, and I will add them to all the months when I post the August schemes. I will take some of the others into consideration, but I don't want to add so many titles it clogs things up.

I don't like including re-releases, and Inhumans seems like a waste to add given its limited run. I will consider all the others.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Thanks.

By the way, excuse the alternate account. The screen on my laptop died (after eight years of use, that thing was a beast) and I'm having to use another computer. It really grinds my gears as it had a nearly complete column for next week. Oh well. At least I saved my scripts on a flash drive.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Buscemi2 wrote:Thanks.

By the way, excuse the alternate account. The screen on my laptop died (after eight years of use, that thing was a beast) and I'm having to use another computer. It really grinds my gears as it had a nearly complete column for next week. Oh well. At least I saved my scripts on a flash drive.
No worries. I had to do the same thing.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I was hoping it would hold on for another month as I was going to get a new one anyway (Windows Vista support stopped a while ago and I missed out on the free upgrade to Windows 7, I ended up figuring out it would be cheaper to buy a new one instead of getting hard-to-find software). I'm going to go to the computer repair shop to see if I can transfer the hard drive files (luckily, the CPU's still good) and find something cheap for the time being. I was at the Microsoft Store in Kansas City last week and saw a computer with the latest software marked down to $199 (by comparison, my laptop, a high school graduation present, was over $800). Had I known my screen would crap out on me, I would have bought it.

But I'm sure I can find a used computer to fit my needs (writing, research, etc.) at a decent price. I'm on a budget.

Sorry to bore everyone on computers. Back to the movies.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I am adding the following films to the pricing schemes, many of which were just announced by Freestyle Releasing:

9/1 A Boy Called PO
9/29 Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down the White House
10/6 Generational Sins (I removed Bad Grandmas)
10/13 Swing Away
10/21 The Bachelors
10/28 Suburbicon, Novitiate and The Square

Sorry, Boosh, A Gentleman is coming out next month, and I don't feel comfortable adding a film with that little time to go.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Shrykespeare wrote:I am adding the following films to the pricing schemes, many of which were just announced by Freestyle Releasing:

9/1 A Boy Called PO
9/29 Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down the White House
10/6 Generational Sins (I removed Bad Grandmas)
10/13 Swing Away
10/21 The Bachelors
10/28 Suburbicon, Novitiate and The Square

Sorry, Boosh, A Gentleman is coming out next month, and I don't feel comfortable adding a film with that little time to go.
Appreciate you lowering my analysis workload Shryke ;)
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I don't think we should add the Freestyle titles, especially since they'll do nothing in the game (Entertainment Studios I'm fine with). Same with Parade Deck.

Also, can we not solely use Box Office Mojo as a catch-all for titles? They are horrible about adding everything and it causes us to completely miss titles sometimes (such as Brigsby Bear, which could have gotten a couple PTA points this week).

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Buscemi2 wrote:I don't think we should add the Freestyle titles, especially since they'll do nothing in the game (Entertainment Studios I'm fine with). Same with Parade Deck.

Also, can we not solely use Box Office Mojo as a catch-all for titles? They are horrible about adding everything and it causes us to completely miss titles sometimes (such as Brigsby Bear, which could have gotten a couple PTA points this week).
I hear you, but it's a crapshoot, and there's nothing I can do about that. I can add a title that's not on BOM's list, but ultimately it's BOM that I get my figures from every week. I wish I knew ahead of time which films were going to report their numbers and which didn't, but I don't.

Is Freestyle really a black hole for PTA? I try to include everything I can from IFC and Sony Classics and Fox Searchlight and (sometimes) A24. I also try to include things from Oscilloscope and, on rare occasions, Magnolia (most of their titles are a bust because they are available on VOD). It's not a perfect system, but it's the only one I got.

I'm open to suggestions as to how to proceed. I can start using Filmjerk as a source for upcoming movies, but again, if they don't report.... (shrugs)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

FilmJerk's taking August off (the author's working on a move back to California). I use HSX for dates.

But my reasoning for wanting to not include Freestyle titles is that most of them are rent-a-distributor vanity product that is either dumped into one theatre or given a regional release. And almost all of them do horribly at the box office (if they report, some of the more recent ones either didn't report or weren't even released) and do nothing with IMDb scores. Also, hardly anyone would spend a dollar in the game on them.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Freestyle used to mean something, but their last few dozen titles have been awful. I think we can exclude their titles from the game.

for me the main smaller distributors should be A24, Neon, IFC, Magnolia (a lot of their titles sink, but they do have some that perform, like the upcoming The Square), Roadside, Bleecker, Fox Searchlight, Sony Classics.