TAKE IT TO THE BANK$ - THE FILMS OF 6/30 (special guest RON)

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

TAKE IT TO THE BANK$ - THE FILMS OF 6/30 (special guest RON)

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Hey folks! Ron Burgundy standing in for your weekly edition of….well, let’s just call it Channel Ron ;)

Last week we saw an awesome holdover from Finding Dory netting nearly $73M in its 2nd week! That’s a -46% drop and good enough for 8th all time, edging out the frontloaded Captain America: Civil War by about 1mil in the 2nd weekend catergory. The pricing panel did well to steer me clear of it and im kicking myself.

Independence Day: Missing Will Smith opened to $41 mil, if anyone was hoping for a Jurassic Park-like comeback, erm yeah, sorry? The Shallows opened in 4th place with a decent $16.8mil and could be on its way to a respectable total. The other wide release, Free State of Jones bombed out with $7.5mil.

On the PTA front Swiss Army Man took 5 points, and expands to over 500 cinemas this week, looking like another kick yourself pick. Finding Dory, Weiner Dog, IP2 and Eat that Question: Frank Zappa… rounded out the 5 (hey banks-it did get a single point, over $8,000 per theatre average even). Finally, Hunt for the Wilderpeople would have taken 3 PTA points and currently sits on 8.5/10 on imdb, just sayin’

This week going wide:

The BFG
Adventure, Buena Vista (Disney), 3,357

One of the more recognisable name in not only Hollywood but for cine-fans around the world, Steven Speilberg directs his 30th feature film in a remarkable career. If you haven’t heard the tale of the Big Friendly Giant, here ‘tis (straight from imdb):
A girl named Sophie encounters the Big Friendly Giant who, despite his intimidating appearance, turns out to be a kind-hearted soul who is considered an outcast by the other giants because, unlike them, he refuses to eat children.

Based on a popular children’s book of yesteryear by Roald Dahl starring Mark Rylance (Bridge of Spies), Bill Hader (SNL), Jermaine Clemant (Flight of the Concords), Rebecca Hall and newcomer Ruby Barnhill as Sophie. Looking to dismount Finding Dory for the No.1 spot, a semi apt comparison is Tomorrowland which opened to $33mil and finished with a disappointing $93mil.

The Prediction:
Spielberg rarely directs stinkers and while the competition is strong, The BFG should win this weekend with about $35mil, with decent legs to reach over $100mil, priced at $18 in Ult and $20 in BO, it’s a risk, but is it worth taking with so many other options out there?

The Legend of Tarzan
Action/Adventure, Warner Bros., 3,561

Going up against another PG rated film is another Adventure flick with a slightly better cast even, though this idea has been seen before, more than once. I really wonder why Warner Bros stuck to releasing Tarzan on this particular weekend when the weekend of July 15 looks so much more promising.

Directed by David Yates whose track record consists of Harry Potter 5, Harry Potter 6, 7 & 8, might as well add another one as he’s helming Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. These films all generated a big box office take, with the army of Potter fans flocking out to cinemas with a frenzy. It’s not easy to guess what Tarzan will do, the cast includes Christoph Waltz, Alexander Skarsgard, Samuel L Jackson and Margot Robbie, but I would look at titles like Jack the Giant Slayer which took home $65mil with an underwhelming $27mil opening. Tarzan has a similar budget to Jack- 180 to 195, for those curious; Jack ended up with $197mil worldwide…

The Prediction:
Like I mentioned above, it’s really the wrong weekend for this movie, so I doubt Tarzan make big splash, Tarzan slip off Top 5 tree next week. It will look something like $21mil OW/$60mil Total at the end for $11 in ULT and $12 in BO. There is better stuff out there, and I can’t see how you will fit this in, prove me wrong!
The Purge: Election Year
Thriller/Horror/Sci-Fi, Universal, 2,787

Already the 3rd release of The Purge series is out, James Demano directs again and Frank Grillo returns. The unique genre blend of Thriller, Horror and Science Fiction seems to have clicked with a target audience out there. The first Purge film racked in over $60mil, the 2nd Purge film took over $70mil domestically and now, will we see another increase of $10mil?

Theres actually no reason to think it cant reach that height, The Shallows moved to last weekend and the next horror film is out 3 weeks later (Lights Out). Though the cast and premise don’t suggest that lofty goal of beating its predecessor will happen, its more of a rushed out sequel to capitalize on its small $10mil budget.
The Prediction:
Lots of competition around, but not necessarily the same target audience, I think The Purge: Election Year should open to over $20mil, only just (if you go by the logic The Shallows made over $16mil in its OW)

This weeks limited release:

Our Kind of Traitor
Drama/Thriller, Roadside Attractions, 373

(From imdb)
A couple find themselves lured into a Russian oligarch's plans to defect are soon positioned between the Russian Mafia and the British Secret Service, neither of whom they can trust.
The dreaded 20+ to -1000 release count, starring Ewan McGregor. Priced at $4 I don’t see any PTA points with that number of theatres, simple. Pass.

The Predictions For The Weekend of June 28-30
1. The BFG - $36M
2. Finding Dory - $33
3. The Legend of Tarzan - $21
4. The Purge: Election Year - $20
5. Independence Day: Resurgence - $19

PTA: The BFG, The Purge, Finding Dory, Tarzan, Frank Zappa

Thanks for reading the news presented to you by the one and only Ron B, next week we see another heavyweight animated movie: The Secret Life of Pets and also R-rated comedy with Zac Efron; Mike and Dave need Wedding Dates. The PTA game will be much more interesting with Captain Fantastic and Sony Classic’s Our Little Sister battling it out.
You stay classy fantaversians!

By the way...how come i cant copy/paste pictures here????
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: TAKE IT TO THE BANK$ - THE FILMS OF 6/30 (special guest

Post by Chienfantome »

Thanks for the column, Ron !
I really don't know about The BFG. It could go that high, it could go much lower.
I think Independence Day will hold well due to, well, Independence Day this weekend.
Ron Burgundy wrote:Already the 3rd release of The Purge series is out, James Demano directs again
Don't pull an Adele Dazeem on us, Ron. It's DeMonaco, dude ! ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

For those wondering where the July pricing schemes are, I will get them up later today. I've just been so harried this week.

Celebrity birthdays:

J.J. Abrams turned 50 on 6/27
Sam Claflin turned 30 on 6/27
Mel Brooks turned 90 on 6/28
Bruce Davison turned 70 on 6/28
Juhn Cusack turned 50 on 6/28
Mary Stuart Masterson turned 50 on 6/28

Olivia de Havilland turns 100 on 7/1
Alan Ruck turns 60 on 7/1 (let my ... Cameron ... go....)
Lindsay Lohan turns 30 on 7/2 (wow, she MADE it to 301)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shrykespeare wrote:Olivia de Havilland turns 100 on 7/1
Two Hollywood icons are turning 100 this year, unbelievably, Olivia de Havilland and Kirk Douglas. Amazing.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

I think Independence Day will hold well due to, well, Independence Day this weekend.
Still thinking w/ your heart I see :)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Obviously.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Thanks for the early article Ron (ahem ahem Banks). Some good analysis there.

I'm going to say The BFG does lower for its opening weekend. There seems to be so little buzz for it, with Finding Dory really taking the wind out of the sails of any other family film. And with Dahl's work being less mainstream in the US, I'd be surprised if the film comes close to earning $100m overall. Which is crazy for a Spielberg family film released by Disney. And Tarzan will suck up some of the older family audience.

I am agreed on Tarzan and The Purge. The former feels like a major misstep, and the latter will do well considering its low budget.

1. Finding Dory - $35
2. The BFG - $28M
3. The Legend of Tarzan - $23
4. The Purge: Election Year - $20
5. Independence Day: Resurgence - $20

PTA: Finding Dory, The BFG, Weiner Dog, The Purge, Tarzan

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

With all the talk about how much Tarzan is going to bomb I have to remind myself: I only drafted it in the 5th round. It can't be that bad right?

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Walleye413 wrote:With all the talk about how much Tarzan is going to bomb I have to remind myself: I only drafted it in the 5th round. It can't be that bad right?
That's pretty much what I thought about my 5th round drafting of Warcraft ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Ah Crap!

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Very early numbers indicate that Purge 3 will beat BFG and Tarzan for the weekend. Dory wins again though.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Woohoo!
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Actually Tarzan seems to do much better than expected ! WTF !!
Deadline says it could cross $40M during the 4-day !!
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

And look at Dory's hold.By next Friday it will have crossed $400m with ease.

Tarzan surprising. BFG bombing. Wales thrashing Belgium. Iceland beating England. The UK leaving the EU.

It's a strange world...

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Go Tarzan! I'll live in this Mad, Mad, World.