TAKE IT TO THE BANKS - THE FILMS OF 6/10

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

TAKE IT TO THE BANKS - THE FILMS OF 6/10

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Another weekend, another summer sequel mostly ignored.

This weekend, it was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows', the follow-up to the 22-month-old Michael Bay-produced TMNT, turn to disappoint audiences nationwide, pulling in only $35M in its OW. That's down almost 50% from the 2014 film's debut in August, the surprising $65M that ended up besting Guardians of The Galaxy in its sophomore frame. It's the fourth straight sequel in this young summer to fail to meet expectations, with Captain America: Civil War, Neighbor's 2, and Alice Through The Looking Glass all failing their predecessors - and things don't look good this weekend. Meanwhile, the romantic tearjerker Me Before You, starring Khalessi and Finnick Odair, didn't quite match it's Fault In Our Stars comp but took in a respectable $18.7M and has $50M total in its sights. On the other hand, The Lonely Island's Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping put up a $4M opening, awful even for their standards. It couldn't even match Hot Rod's $5M OW from 2007 - the lowest of low bars.

With no new PTA prospects, TMNT2 and Me Before You easily took the top 2 spots, while X-Men: Apocalypse managed another 3 PTA points. Maggie's Plan ( 6 points so far) and Weiner (8 so far) added a couple extra points to their coffers, and likely will be their last.

This weekend's wide releases...

The Conjuring 2 (WB) - Every couple of years, there's a horror film that builds up a pre-release reputation as the "scariest movie of all-time", complete with reports of audiences fainting from fright and running out of theaters during pre-screenings. In 2009, it was Paranormal Activity; in 2010, it was M. Night Shymalan's Devil; and in 2013, it was the summer hit The Conjuring. Not surprisingly, after one sorta-successful spinoff, the long-awaited aptly-titled sequel has arrived: The Conjuring 2. Again following the "true stories" of the infamous paranormal detectives from the 1970s, Ed and Lorraine Warren (Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga, respectively), the follow-up sees the couple travel to London to help a single mother and a young girl super-possessed by a demon - complete with deep voice and blank staring. Sure to be chock full of jump scares and Patrick Wilson-yelling (Conjuring-yelling, not Insidious-yelling), The Conjuring 2 looks to repeat the success of the first and so far, it even has the exact same RT score (86%).

Just like the original, The Conjuring is poised to be the first big horror film of the summer and is the first horror film in months; the last option being last month's little-see The Darkness ($4M/$10M). It has an effective marketing campaign and the trailers/TV spots have been on point, as far as creepiness. But much like the other sequels of the summer, it has done very little to differentiate itself from the film it's following; the marketing here is almost beat-for-beat identical to that of The Conjuring. The issue being that it was fresh then, and now, especially with 2014's Annabelle ($37M/$84M) and numerous copycats, a lazy campaign that rests simply on name recognition won't be enough to improve on 2013's entry. Patrick Wilson's other horror franchise experienced this with its second sequel: last summer's Insidious Chapter 3 ($22M/$52M) came off the hit Insidious Chapter 2 ($40M/$83M) with the same attitude and paid the price. The same will happen here, especially since WB chose almost the exact same weekend as Insidious Chapter 3 to open their conjuring sequel.

The Prediction - The Conjuring 2 will continue the Great Sequel Drought of Summer 2016, mostly because it fails to bring anything new to its franchise and has become nothing more than ho-hum, even to the most ardent horror fans. It will win the weekend however, opening to $29M, amassing 9 Top 5 points, 6 PTA points, and totaling right around the $67M mark. It'll run you $16 in the May-July BO Leagues, making it one of the better mid-range options - it would be a real toss-up to take this or next weekend's Central Intelligence.

---------------------------------------

Now You See Me 2 (LGF/Summit) - The second sequel of the weekend, although we're dealing with more magic and sleight of hand than murderous demons or Patrick Wilson hanging out of windows. Now You See Me 2 is the follow-up to another surprise hit of Summer 2013, this time being Now You See Me - the tale of 4 thieving street magicians that managed to steal $117M from audiences right out from under that summer's Fast & Furious 6 and Man of Steel. This time, we'll have the return of the Four Horseman (Jesse Eisenberg, Dave Franco, and Woody Harrelson reprise their roles, while replacing Isla Fisher with Lizzy Caplan) as they've settled down comfortably after completing their mission secretly given to them a mystery benefactor (no spoilers!). However, they're soon forced out of retirement when tech mogul Walter Mabry (Harry Potter himself!) blackmails them to pull off another needlessly complicated heist with the help of MAGIC! Or CGI, as it were. Now You See Me 2 returns other main players, with Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, and Mark Ruffalo, while bringing in fresh blood: the aforementioned Daniel Radcliffe, Sanaa Lathan, and The Green Hornet's Jay Chou. Much like The Conjuring, this sequel is keeping up with its original in the RT department: its 46% pretty close to the first's 49%.

At the risk of repeating myself, Now You See Me 2 will suffer from a case of "been there, done that" and that's because the entire marketing campaign chooses to focus on inane magic tricks lifted from the first film rather than anything new or exciting to pull people back into theaters. We've got Dave Franco throwing more playing cards across rooms, more handcuff play, and Eisenberg basically pulling off miracles (come on, he stops rain in midair! And is "Stop. Make it go back up." the single worst line in any film this year?). The first one reintroduced magician films and used it to propel an interesting heist film, it was different and audiences responded. At least with this summer's failed sequels so far, they at least attempted to throw a twist on the original's premise: Neighbors 2 replaced the Frat with a Sorority, TMNT2 introduced villains from the cartoon not yet seen on the big screen, etc. Alice Through The Looking Glass failed to introduce anything different and we know what happened there.

Hell, the marketing fails to even spotlight Daniel Radcliffe as the villain; for some odd reason choosing to single out the returns of Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman. Just an example of the studio thinking that pushing audiences what they know is the safe and smartest tactic.

The Prediction - Lionsgate saw a hit in Now You See Me and lazily rushed a sequel into production to capitalize - they just forgot to make it interesting. Now You See Me Destroying A Potential Franchise will open to only $18M, nabbing 4 Top 5 points, _ PTA points, before disappointing studio heads to the tune of $42M total. In June-Aug BO Leagues, $12 is an apt price, but with several sure things most likely taking up the bulk of your slate, even if you have that much left over, I wouldn't put it all on Now You See Me 2. The Purge 3, Tarzan, and Sausage Party all cost the same and look to have way more breakout potential.

---------------------------------------

Warcraft (Universal) - Straight outta the late 90s from the LCD computer monitors and dial-up connections of basements across the world, World of Warcraft will finally see its day in multiplexes - and only a decade too late! Universal will be pushing the $160M CGI-fest, Warcraft, into close to 3,500 2D, 3D, and IMAX 3D theaters this weekend. Because I can't tell what the fuck this movie is about from the trailers, I'll let IMDb do the heavy lifting: "The peaceful realm of Azeroth stands on the brink of war as its civilization faces a fearsome race of invaders: orc warriors fleeing their dying home to colonize another." It's digital Orcs vs Humans In Armor in Lord of The Rings-lite. Starring a who's who of B-list supporting actors like Ben Foster, Paula Patton, Dominic Cooper, and Fant4stic's Toby Kebbell, Warcraft is easily the worst-reviewed release of the weekend, with a 18% RT to prove it.

With stories of a troubled production and rising budgets, Universal has lot to contend with to pull in audiences this weekend. Luckily, World of Warcraft happens to be the most popular computer MMO of all-time, at one time boasting millions and millions of users worldwide. Warcraft has already opened in many terroritories outside the U.S. and is burning up the box office - its Chinese release has already broken the record for biggest pre-release ticket sales ever. The kind of reception stateside is seemingly out the question, as it's struggling to appeal to general audiences outside of hardcore fans of the game. It's already invoking comparisons to legendary bombs such as John Carter ($30M/$71M), Jack The Giant Slayer ($27M/$65M), or Universal's own Battleship ($25M/$65M). With its bland genre-specific details, Warcraft is looking more like 2010's Prince of Persia ($30M/$90M) than anything - but it doesn't even have an up and coming star to anchor it, like Jake Gyllenhaal.

With its spectacular foreign box office, we'll likely see a sequel in a few years, but unless Universal starts importing Chinese citizens, there's no way that'll help the film this weekend.

The Prediction - Warcraft has been fighting an uphill battle to impress since it started production, but it'll most likely be the poster child for a down box office this summer. It should open to $23M, notching 6 Top 5 points, 4 PTA points, and taking in $55M total (less than half its budget, pre-P&A). Warcraft would cost you $12 in June-Aug BO Leagues if you were foolish enough to pick it, but you're not. No, thank you, Universal - take your mo-capped Orcs somewhere else.

This week's limited releases...

From Afar (Strand) - From Afar, the latest foreign drama from new distributor Strand, is the story of Armando, a middle-aged Venzulean man dead set on exacting revenge on his father - he enlists the help of a teenager, Elder, whom he also pays to have sex with? I don't know, it's foreign. It's the feature debut of director Lorenzo Vigas and despite its trailer confusing the hell out of me, it's been extremely well-reviewed out of last year's TIFF and other festivals with a 94% RT (although it was not Venezuela's Oscar selection for Best Foreign Film this year).

From what I can gather, From Afar will be playing in only one theater this weekend in New York City. While that may be tempting, remember that Strand put out another foreign drama, Chevalier, in only 3 theaters a couple of weeks ago; Chevalier was unable to break into the PTA race, with a measly $1.9K PTA. I don't expect much more from From Afar, and I would not spend the $3 it costs in the June-Aug Ultimate Leagues.

Genius (Roadside Attractions) - Roadside Attractions has been on nice hot streak in our game this year, with March's Hello, My Name Is Doris (6 PTA & $14M BO) and last month's Love & Friendship (6 PTA & $7M BO so far). They're hoping to keep it up this weekend with Genius, the based-on-a-true-story drama about Maxwell Perkins, the legendary book editor who discovered both F. Scott Fitzgerald and Ernest Hemingway in the early 1900s. The film follows Perkins' struggles with his 3rd discovery, author Thomas Wolfe, as he tries desperately to convince Wolfe to cut down his massive debut novel. Starring Colin Firth as Perkins, Jude Law as Wolfe, as well as Nicole Kidman, Laura Linney, and Guy Pearce, the star-studded film doesn't seem to be resonating with critics. Its soft reviews out of the Berlin Film Festival and a 42% RT say as much.

Roadside's two PTA winners this year both opened to only 4 theaters, but for some reason, they're pushing Genius into 16 theaters this weekend. This is not quite a death knell, as they released Spike Lee's Chi-Raq into 17 locations last December and that managed a $3.9K PTA. With the soft PTA field, a similar PTA should be good enough for a fair share of the PTA pie. Arthouses love a good movie star-fest and the focus on American literary history seems to as good as a genre for older people looking for something other than giant ninja turtles. $3 in the June-Aug Ultimate Leagues seems like a good ROI for at least 3 PTA points, and a good possibility for more.

Diary of A Chambermaid (Cohen) - This French film, from prolific director Benoit Jacquot, will be getting a prime release into just 2 theaters in NY and LA from Cohen Media Group. Diary of A Chambermaid stars Lea Seydoux, known for Blue Is The Warmest Color and her turn as a Bond Girl in last year's Spectre, as Celestine, a young women in Paris forced to take a job in the country as the prime maid for a demanding high class woman, Madam Lanlaire. While there, Celestine must deal with unwanted advances of her husband, her obsession with the mysterious gardener, and the rigors of tending to an old woman's every need. Nominated for Best Screenplay at this year's Cesars (France's Oscars), it's only sporting a decent 67% on RT so far.

Cohen found a bit of success last December with Hitchcock/Truffaut, releasing it into 3 theaters - good enough for a $9K PTA. Of course, it had to contend with several Oscar hopefuls so it could only capture a single PTA point. Diary of A Chambermaid doesn't have the draw of a film history documentary that would appeal to arthouse audiences, but the French film should be good for a similar output. The $3 is a risk, but foreign dramas are almost always a bet on the safer side.

The Predictions For The Weekend of June 10th-12th:

1. The Conjuring 2 - $31M
2. Warcraft - $23M
3. Now You See Me 2 - $18M
4. TMNT: Out of The Shadows - $14M
5. X-Men: Apocalypse - $9M

PTA: The Conjuring 2, Warcraft, Genius, Now You See Me 2, Diary of A Chambermaid

The box office stops for no one! And next week, we'll finally get what the industry hopes will pull this summer out of the dumps: Pixar's Finding Dory, the long-awaited sequel to Finding Nemo. We'll also have the 2nd of 3 Kevin Hart films this year, however it's easily the most promising - Central Intelligence. And in limited release, the Eli Roth-produced Clown will try its best to fuel nightmares.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: TAKE IT TO THE BANKS - THE FILMS OF 6/10

Post by Chienfantome »

I still hope veryone's underestimating Warcraft. If Conjuring 2 and NYSM2 suffer the sequel fatigue that has marked the summer sequels so far, Warcraft might have the preference of many spectators.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I'd go a little higher on Conjuring 2. Reviews are strong and it's been a while cine audiences got a good scare. Also might goa little higher on Warcraft. Seems to be doing very well abroad, so guess there are some fans left after all.

None of the PTA films look great, but they'll probably all earn something this weekend due to lack of competition.

1. The Conjuring 2 - $38M
2. Warcraft - $26M
3. Now You See Me 2 - $20M
4. TMNT: Out of The Shadows - $12M
5. X-Men: Apocalypse - $10M

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I think all of you guys are being far too kind to Warcraft. The marketing material is laughably bad and the appeal outside of the game's fanboys is limited at best. I'd be shocked if it didn't full-blown tank and gross less than $20 mil this weekend.

I actually think The Conjuring 2 and Now You See Me 2 are going to be better off than all of the non-superhero sequels released this summer. Both of the originals were extremely well-received (unlike Neighbors and to a lesser extent, TMNT) and they both appeal to audience (horror and thriller fans )that haven't been targeted over the past few months.

1.The Conjuring 2 $35 mil
2.Now You See Me 2 $25 mil
3.TMNT 2 $19 mil
4.Warcraft $17 mil
5.X-Men $10 mil
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

transformers2 wrote:I'd be shocked if it didn't full-blown tank and gross less than $20 mil this weekend.
I think you'll be shocked, then.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Maybe I'm the only one foolishly thinking NYSM2 is going to overachieve - but that's probably cause I'm a total sucker for magic. It'll do better than Warcraft. And Me Before You lands in the top 5 for one more week too.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I still don't get how the first NYSM did that well, as it was particularly unremarkable.

As for Warcraft, Tranny, believe me, Warcraft had the same material here in Europe, same posters, same trailers, and I don't think we have more Warcraft fans here than in the US. And yet it made barely less than the numbers of the latest X-Men.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

it's been a pretty slow summer so far, wonder if that has anything to do with how huge the first couple of months of the year have been. With everything under-performing, there's room for something to break out, my bet is on Independence Day raking it in.

i think Warcraft looks like crap, but a part of me hopes it does well. There are still a few LOTR-type book series that i would love to see on the big screen.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

undeadmonkey wrote:it's been a pretty slow summer so far, wonder if that has anything to do with how huge the first couple of months of the year have been. With everything under-performing, there's room for something to break out, my bet is on Independence Day raking it in.

i think Warcraft looks like crap, but a part of me hopes it does well. There are still a few LOTR-type book series that i would love to see on the big screen.
I'm not a fan of Warcraft (I do love Hearthstone, though), but I want it do do well so that some other video game films get made, namely Uncharted, The Last of Us, and Bioshock.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

I totally agree on everything underperforming - and I'm also curious as to what that means will break out. Independence day is a good bet. I'd also guess Ghostbusters and Secret Life of Pets. It will be very interesting to see of the non-sequels really do hit (BFG, SLoP, Bad Moms) or if they suffer like everything else.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

I'll chip in, NYSM, banks: bang on with your prediction.

Sad about warcraft, I also want other vidEo games like uncharted to be adapted. I'm not a fan of the actual game warcraft But at least it's not a sequel
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I don't think Warcraft will have an adverse effect on green lighting future video game adaptations. It's an MMO that doesn't have a traditional narrative that many games do, plus it's well-known Universal stepped in and chopped 40 minutes off of Duncan's cut of the film. It's apparently incomprehensible to anyone who hasn't played the game, I'm betting it's DOA here in America.

However, with China and Russia and Europe apparently going apeshit for it, we'll probably get a sequel, although with heavy Chinese funding.

Sorta related, but Universal can't be happy that an HD screener of it is already out on the Internet before it even officially opens here.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I have never played Warcraft in my life and I had no problem following the film. I really don't get the reports saying if you didn't play the game you won't understand what's going on it really isn't harder to get than any heroic fantasy film.

The film opened yesterday in Korea on the same day as The Jungle Book, both in the same numbers of theaters, around 700. Warcraft made 113,994 entries, Jungle Book made 73,278. Damn I wish I could have the international numbers for the draft and not the US numbers.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

3 million from Thursday showings for Warcraft, nearly matching Conjuring and beating NYSM2. Interesting.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Theater Counts

Warcraft - 3,400
The Conjuring 2 - 3,343
Now You See Me 2 - 3.232
Genius - 16

Next week:

FInding Dory - 3,900
Central Intelligence - 3,300+