TAKE IT TO THE BANKS - THE FILMS OF 4/1

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

TAKE IT TO THE BANKS - THE FILMS OF 4/1

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Which number is more important: 28% or $166M?

Audiences ignored professional critics en masse this weekend, deciding to not let the massive drubbing that Batman Vs Superman: Dawn of Justice endured and showing up in giant caravans lined around the block, I'm presuming. They were able to propel Batman Vs Superman to a great $166M opening, smashing The Hunger Games' March and pre-summer opening weekend records by $14M. Even with poor WOM, the beginning stages of what will becomes the Justice League should still easily pass the $350M and hone in on $400M by the time Captain America comes out to play.

PTA-wise, outside of Batman Vs Superman, Midnight Special pulled in another 4 points, and is only expanding to 55 theaters this weekend, so the total should continue to roll for WB. I Saw The Light could only muster a $9K PTA, but it was still good enough for 3 points - but going into 700+ theaters this weekend should put a stop to that.

This week's wide release...

God's Not Dead 2 (Pure Flix) - The 4th Christian film in 7 weeks, this sequel to 2014's God's Not Dead follows a high school teacher who's asked about Jesus in her public school classroom, and her response leads to national outcry and a trial that puts the whole Religion In Schools debate front and center. It's being pushed into over 2,000 theaters from Pure Flix, and being the only new release will certainly help out God's Not Dead 2. Starring Melissa Joan Hart (Sabrina herself), Ernie Hudson, Jesse Metcalfe, and Robin Givens, it's not being handled with care by critics - 33% on RT - but that should do little to deter the conservative crowd.

$11M OW with a $45M total. It should garner 3 Top 5 points, zero PTA points, and for $9 in April-June BO Leagues, it's a good bang for your buck. But with the summer heavy hitters available now, it'll be hard to make room for this.

This week's limited releases...

Miles Ahead (Sony Classics) - In 4 theaters from Sony Classics, Don Cheadle's passion project should battle Batman Vs Superman for PTA supremacy this weekend. Written, directed, and starring Cheadle, Miles Ahead is the biopic of music legend Miles Davis as he battles drugs, women, and racism to become one of the most respected artists of his time. The film has gotten lukewarm reviews, but arthouse audiences love a good biopic when they can get one.

It'll be expanding into double digit theaters each successive weekend, so it's hard to see it ruling the roost for very long. But a total of 7-8 PTA points isn't out of the question, and PTA players will become harder and harder to find as we approach the summer. $4 is reasonable enough to roll the dice here.

Everybody Wants Some!! (Paramount) - Billed as the spiritual sequel to director Richard Linklater's breakthrough hit, Dazed And Confused, Everybody Wants Some!! hits 19 theaters on Wednesday before going wide on the 15th. Starring a cast of unknowns and 2nd generation Hollywood-ers (Zoey Deutch - daughter of Lea Thompson, Blake Jenner - another Kardashian/Jenner, and Wyatt Russell, son of Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn all are cast here), it's an examination of teenage and college life in the 1970s, continuing Linklater's resume of slice-of-life, critically acclaimed films. It's been loved by critics, with its 95% on RT, and it would be the no-brainer PTA pick - if not for its schedule wide release very soon.

If you can afford $6 in your April-June ULT Leagues for just two weekends of possible PTA points, definitely grab it. But next week's Green Room or some of the summer limiteds might prove to have a better return on your dollars.

The Dark Horse (Broad Green) - Upstart distributor Broad Green looks to spoil the PTA finishing this weekend with The Dark Horse, in only 2 theaters. It's getting even better reviews than Everybody Wants Some!! at 97%, but with its limited appeal, it's hard to imagine it might beat out either PTA newcomers. Starring Cliff Curtis, it focuses on a New Zealander chess champion who ends up teaching the game to inner city children in the not-so-glamorous parts of Los Angeles.

Broad Green opened Knight of Cups last month in 4 theaters and managed 4 PTA points, but expanding to 30+ theaters turned out to spoil Malick's comeback in its tracks. The Dark Horse doesn't have the name recognition that film had, so I wouldn't expect it to end up with more than 1 PTA point, at best. For $2, the risk is minimal however, and I've certainly been wrong before.

The Prediction For The Weekend of April 1st-3rd:

1) Batman Vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice - $68M
2) Zootopia - $18M
3) God's Not Dead 2 - $11M
4) My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 - $10M
5) Miracles From Heaven - $6M

PTA: Miles Ahead, Batman Vs Superman, Everybody Wants Some!!, Midnight Special, Zootopia

Next week brings us two new wide releases, with Melissa McCarthy's The Boss and 1st person action flick, Hardcore Henry. We'll also have Demolition (although in 500+ theaters) and horror The Invitation in limited release.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Re: TAKE IT TO THE BANKS - THE FILMS OF 4/1

Abbreviated column this week as I've been out of town. I won't be back until Tuesday, so if someone wants to take next's week, that would be great. Otherwise we might be looking at another Thursday/Friday abbreviated posting.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I just found out that The Dark Horse is written and directed by a Power Ranger. Now I'm supremely confident in picking it.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Think BvS will drop harder than that. WOM is bad, the memes mocking it are catching on, and its weekday intake isn't that impressive. I could see it dropping by 70%.

God's Not Dead analysis is spot on. As for PTA, I think Everybody Wants Some will win the weekend. Linklater has an audience, was loved for Boyhood, and despite the theatre count the reviews and love for Dazed and Confused should guarantee a 20K PTA. Miles Ahead will trail behind a little, and I've no hope for The Dark Horse.

1) Batman Vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice - $55M
2) Zootopia - $17M
3) God's Not Dead 2 - $12M
4) My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 - $10M
5) Miracles From Heaven - $6M

PTA: Everybody Wants Some!!, Miles Ahead, Batman Vs Superman, Midnight Special, Zootopia
Last edited by numbersix on April 1st, 2016, 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wrestler
Private Pyle

Post by Wrestler »

Just under 60m seems about right for week 2. How awesome is it that before the summer season starts we will already have 3! 300m grosses. Last year we ran into the issue of the big movies accounting for a larger percentage of total grosses than ever before and it only had 6 gross over 300m this year could see that number hit double digits if a few movies don't under perform.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Official Theater Counts:

God's Not Dead 2 - 2,300+
Meet the Blacks - 1,011
Everybody Wants Some!! - 19
Miles Ahead - 4
The Dark Horse - 2

I Saw the Light - expands to 741
Midnight Special - expands to 58

Next week:

The Boss - 3,200+
Demolition - 550

Celebrity birthdays:

Lady Gaga turned 30 on 3/28
David Oyelowo turns 40 on 4/1
Amanda Bynes turns 30 on 4/3
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Friday Estimates

Batman v Superman, $15.3M
Zootopia, $5.6M
Greek Wedding 2, $3.4M
God's Not Dead 2, $2.9M
Miracles from heaven, $2.1M
Allegiant, $1.8M
Meet the Blacks, $1.4M
10 Cloverfield Lane, $1.4M
Eye in the Sky, $1.2M
Deadpool, $1.0M

Weekend Projections:

Batman v Superman, $48.5M
Zootopia, $19.5M
Greek Wedding 2, $11.3M
God's Not Dead 2, $8.5M
Miracles From heaven, $7.2M
Allegient, $5.6M
10 Cloverfield Lane, $4.4M
Meet the Blacks. $4.1M
Eye in the Sky, $4.0M
Deadpool, $3.4M

PTA:
Everybody Wants Some, $15.5K
Batman v Superman, $11.4K
Midnight Special, $9.3K
Zootopia, $5.2K

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Wow, look at that drop on BvS. It's playing like a Twilight film.

Also, Miles Ahead is looking at a PTA of around 30K for the weekend.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Yup. -81% Friday to Friday, if the estimates hold.

People showed up during the OW because of Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman, but now they're staying away because of Hack Snyder.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Wow... that number is stunning.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Weekend Estimates

Top 10:
5 points - Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice, $52.4M
4 points - Zootopia, $20.0M
3 points - My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, $11.1M
2 points - God's Not Dead 2, $8.1M
1 point - Miracles from Heaven, $7.5M
The Divergent Series: Allegiant, $5.7M
10 Cloverfield Lane, $4.7M
Meet the Blacks, $4.1M
Eye in the Sky, $4.0M
Deadpool, $3.5M

PTA:
5 points - Miles Ahead
4 points - Everybody Wants Some!!
3 points - Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
2 points - Midnight Special
1 point - Zootopia

The Dark Horse just missed, coming in 6th place.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I can do a column tomorrow if that takes the pressure off Banks and no one else wants to do it?

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

numbersix wrote:I can do a column tomorrow if that takes the pressure off Banks and no one else wants to do it?
No worries, I actually got back on Sunday instead of today, so I've already started.

But let me know if you're interested in any weekend, I'll gladly let you (or anyone) step in, Six.