TAKE IT TO THE BANKS - THE FILMS OF 3/16, 3/18

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

TAKE IT TO THE BANKS - THE FILMS OF 3/16, 3/18

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Those goddamned cute Zootopia residents managed to keep John Goodman and 10 Cloverfield Lane in their cellar this weekend.

And they did so very handily, as Zootopia only dropped 31% to post a sophomore frame of $51M - which puts it at a ridic $143M in only 10 days. It's actually out-pacing other spring animated hits so far, like The LEGO Movie ($130M) and The Lorax ($121M). While 10 Cloverfield Lane posted a very respectable $24M opening, it was only a little bit over half of Cloverfield's opening back in 2008. It'll be hard to gauge how the film's legs will turn out, as word spreads that it's connected to the original in the thinnest of ways, if at all. The other three wide openers all bombed terrifically, in their own ways. The Young Messiah, the latest attempt to pander to the Christian audience, could only capture $3.2M worth of church groups, making it the worst opening Christian-aimed release in over 1,000 theaters Paul Blart's foray into drama - Little Boy, last spring.

But the biggest story is the Earth-scorching bomb that was Sacha Baron Cohen's The Brothers' Grimsby, opening to a pathetic $3.2M and coming in 8th place this weekend - that's less than a third of Deadpool's 5th weekend. An opening this bad will make studios think twice, hell even three times, before green lighting any of Cohen's comedies for a very long time.

And another week of the PTA picks make me look a dumb-dumb, as all three of limited releases scored PTA points in their opening. Eye In The Sky took top honors and 5 points with its $22K average, barely staving off Hello, My Name Is Doris and its close $21K. A24's Remember even got in on the fun, scoring 2 PTA points of its own, and 10 Cloverfield Lane managed to sneak away a point for itself as well.

This week's wide releases...

The Divergent Series: Allegiant (LGF) - Let's face it: the goddamn Divergent series isn't on the uptick. The first movie opened well ($54M in 2014) and ended at $150M, which is decent for its genre. But when the sequel Insurgent failed to build on that last year with an opening of $52M, everyone realized this Hunger Games-wannabe was trending downward already. Lionsgate will be releasing The Divergent Series: Allegiant in 3,740 3D, IMAX, and 2D theaters this weekend, and honestly, it's not looking good for the box office prospects of Tris and whoever else is in this series. If, like me, you haven't seen an iota of either Divergent film, the series follows Tris, the chosen one, a young girl who's inherently different and with her special-ness, must bring down the oppressive government of this near-future dystopian times. Or something like that.

Either way, Divergent is losing steam. Allegiant isn't expected to come close to either of the first two films' $50M+ opening, as many are expecting a series low opening in the mid-$30's. Star Shailene Woodley has failed to capitalize on her series' success, nullifying any star power she may have had if she'd followed the Jennifer Lawrence School of Being In As Many Films As Possible. And although the film features several respected actors, such as Naomi Watts, Kate Winslet, Octavia Spencer, and Jeff Daniels, they're presumptively hindered by the restrictions of their YA source material. The young girls will show up to root on Tris and her love triangle with The Fault In Our Stars' Ansel Elgort and Whiplash's Miles Teller, but at this point, it seems everyone else has checked out.

The Prediction - Allegiant will continue the decline of Divergent's returns and open to only $36M, gain up to 10 Top 5 points, maybe 3 PTA points, and shuffle off to Redbox's with a threatical total of $105M. It'll cost you $21 in March-May BO Leagues, and come on, you know you don't have any room for this tripe in a season where summer films come into play. Maybe you can squeeze it into your Feb-April League, but even that seems unadvisable at best, downright crazy at worst.

----------------------------------------------

Miracles From Heaven (Sony) - Another week, another cheap ploy to trick God-fearin' Christian families into theaters. Sony, home of these ploys, will release the Jennifer Garner-starring Miracles From Heaven into over 3,000 theaters, which makes it the widest Christian release since Son of God (guess which studio released that shit?). The film's about a little girl who falls out of a tree, and then her parents pray about it for awhile while she's in the hospital, and when the kid survives, OMG IT'S A MIRACLE PRAISE JESUS. Or something like that. It was released on Wednesday and it's already gotten an A Cinemascore, meaning audiences are eating it up.

I can't continue to reiterate the short lived history of mainstream Christian films every week. It's real good when the movie's accessible, like God's Not Dead or Heaven Is For Real, and even when the movie's a bit on the "No thank you" side, it's still pretty decent. Miracles From Heaven is as close to Heaven Is For Real as we're gonna get, and that performed really well in 2014, opening to a $22M 3 day OW and a total of $91. While Miracles From Heaven may not reach those proportions - mainly because the genre has been seriously diluted since then - it still has a serious chance of being the best performer since that 2014 God Movie Boom.

The Prediction - Miracles From Heaven is probably your last chance in your Jan-March League to make up some ground, and it's your best bet since you probably can't afford Batman Vs Superman at this point. It will open to a $20M 3-day, wrapping up 7 Top 5 points, a few PTA points at best, and totaling out at $68M. It'll run you $11 in March-May Leagues, and will be a better bet than My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 at the same price, but you'd really be better off with the opening weekend of Alice Through The Looking Glass, honestly. Make your decision, but make it quick. It's already Thursday night, bro.

----------------------------------------------------

The Bronze (Sony Classics) - The Bronze is surprisingly opening wide this weekend from Sony Classic Pictures. They're inexplicably pushing the low-interest R-rated washed-up gymnast comedy (?) into over 1,000 theaters this weekend, which seems like a grave mistake. The Bronze was originally scheduled for a limited release back in October but got pushed to this weekend, and recently was made into a wide release. It stars The Big Bang Theory star Melissa Rauch as Hope, a former gymnast Olympic medalist (guess which place she came in?) who rides her mid-level fame to coast in her small-town Ohio life. She's sought out by a new young gymnast for coaching help and probably realizes her life sucks and to be a better person. Or something like that. It also stars Gary Cole, Silicon Valley's Thomas Middleditch, SNL's Cecily Strong, and Bucky himself, Sebastian Stan.

I don't know why Sony Classics decided to make this a wide release at the last minute. They have put little effort towards a marketing campaign and the film has no real star power, and even less wide appeal - with their foul-mouthed star who comes into her own over the course of a film. I'm sure they're aiming for a Bad Teacher feel, but they don't have Cameron Diaz or Justin Timberlake, and Bad Teacher had a sizable marketing hook of Cameron Diaz going full rated R for the first time. That was enough to propel that mediocre film to $100M during the summer, but if Sony thinks they've got something similar here, the studio's in for quite a surprise. No stars, no marketing, no real hook - nope nope nope.

The Prediction - The Bronze ain't Bad Teacher or Bad Santa, no matter how hard it tries to be. It should open to only $2M at best, no Top 5 points, no PTA points, and a box office total of only $5M, best case scenario. It's cheap, mostly because we all thought it'd be a limited release, so it may be worth it on a pure box office dollars per price dollars stand, but whatever - it probably won't win you any leagues or anything.

This week's limited releases...

Midnight Special (WB) - Midnight Special is a sci-fi thriller starring arthouse favorite Michael Shannon, and it's being released in only 5 theaters this weekend. It should easily nab all 5 PTA points this weekend, and should bring in 2-3 for the next few weekends. You probably all have it on your Ultimate Leagues so I'm not gonna waste my time - I'm almost positive all of us are all in here. $5 in the March-May Leagues, and I'm sure it'll grab 10 PTA points at least. It's about a kid with glow-y eyes, so I'm assuming it's a an unofficial sequel to Looper or something?

Krisha (A24) - Krisha is from a first-time director and starring a bunch of first-time actors. It may nab 1-2 PTA points, probably just off the strength of A24's name behind it. It's got a 96% on RT so some arthouse people may take a flier on it if they've already checked out Hello, My Name Is Doris and Remember and Midnight Special. At 2 theaters, it's good for 3-4 PTA points - which is a boon given its $3 price point.

The Predictions For The Weekend of March 18th-20th:

1. The Divergent Series: Allegiant - $36M
2. Zootopia - $31M
3. Miracles From Heaven - $20M
4. 10 Cloverfield Lane - $13M
5. Deadpool - $6M

PTA: Midnight Special, Eye In The Sky, Allegiant, Krisha, Hello, My Name Is Doris

Next week gives us the biggest showdown this side of Ali/Foreman with Batman Vs Superman, as well as the most anticipated sequel of the year - My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2. In limited release, we'll have the Hank Williams biopic in I Saw The Light.

This Week In Box Office History...

2009 - Remember when Nic Cage still had movies in wide release at the theaters? He managed to open Knowing, his end-of-the-world\aliens thriller, to 1st place back then, with an OW of $24M. That was good enough to beat the two other wide openers - I Love You, Man (2nd place with $19M) and the Julia Roberts/Clive Owen movie Duplicity (3rd place with $13.9M). Knowing, with its total of $79M, is the highest grossing non-National Treasure Nic Cage movie since the original Ghost Rider film. I really can't speak less of his acting choices since then, however - I'd appreciate a Knowing sequel right about now, actually.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Re: TAKE IT TO THE BANKS - THE FILMS OF 3/16, 3/18

Due to me being sick all week and going out tonight and finishing up the column pretty buzzed, this week's column is severely shortened and probably lacks a lot of common sense. That's OK, we all know Allegiant will disappoint on all fronts.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Miracles from Heaven got an A+ from Cinemascore so it should overcome the disappointing Wednesday numbers.

And the combination of awful reviews and no marketing makes me think The Bronze does even less than $2 million for the weekend. When it was announced for 900+ theatres, I had it at $450,000 or so for the weekend. At 1,100+ theatres, I'm now going with $500,000 for the weekend. This should have been a day-and-date title rather than a big specialty title.

And on Midnight Special: Jeff Nichols has compared it to John Carpenter's Starman (the one where Jeff Bridges is an alien) so I expect a more grounded-in-reality sci-fi film.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

great column banks- though- The Bronze might actually be the difference to win me a league....

I still want to write up here, just been a hectic last few months. Ill pm you after the weekend Banks, and hopefully get something pencilled in
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

No way is Miracles going to make 20m for its 3-day. It's Wednesday number was half that of Heaven is for Real, so I expect a 10 or 11m 3-day. There are too many Christian films on the market at the moment, and despite good Cinemascores they're going to cannibalise each other.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote: The Divergent Series: Allegiant (LGF) - Let's face it: the goddamn Divergent series isn't on the uptick. The first movie opened well ($54M in 2014) and ended at $150M, which is decent for its genre. But when the sequel Insurgent failed to build on that last year with an opening of $52M, everyone realized this Hunger Games-wannabe was trending downward already. Lionsgate will be releasing The Divergent Series: Allegiant in 3,740 3D, IMAX, and 2D theaters this weekend, and honestly, it's not looking good for the box office prospects of Tris and whoever else is in this series. If, like me, you haven't seen an iota of either Divergent film, the series follows Tris, the chosen one, a young girl who's inherently different and with her special-ness, must bring down the oppressive government of this near-future dystopian times. Or something like that.

Either way, Divergent is losing steam. Allegiant isn't expected to come close to either of the first two films' $50M+ opening, as many are expecting a series low opening in the mid-$30's. Star Shailene Woodley has failed to capitalize on her series' success, nullifying any star power she may have had if she'd followed the Jennifer Lawrence School of Being In As Many Films As Possible. And although the film features several respected actors, such as Naomi Watts, Kate Winslet, Octavia Spencer, and Jeff Daniels, they're presumptively hindered by the restrictions of their YA source material. The young girls will show up to root on Tris and her love triangle with The Fault In Our Stars' Ansel Elgort and Whiplash's Miles Teller, but at this point, it seems everyone else has checked out.
You proved that you haven't seen any of the Divergent movies by saying that Tris is involved in a love triangle with her brother (Elgort) :lol:
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

If memory serves, she isn't in a love triangle with Miles Teller either.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

I refuse to believe there isn't some sort of love triangle in these damn movies!

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

numbersix wrote:No way is Miracles going to make 20m for its 3-day. It's Wednesday number was half that of Heaven is for Real, so I expect a 10 or 11m 3-day. There are too many Christian films on the market at the moment, and despite good Cinemascores they're going to cannibalise each other.
I think Miracles is actually the Christian film to beat this year, I'm betting people have been skipping the Biblical-times ones (Risen, Young Messiah) and saving their dollars for the one that actually looks decent. The Christian films set in present day and are Christian in theme-only (so no swords and sandals) are the ones that do well, and this one with a big star like Jennifer Garner doing the press rounds should be able to replicate Heaven Is For Real's or War Room's success.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Ron Burgundy wrote:great column banks- though- The Bronze might actually be the difference to win me a league....

I still want to write up here, just been a hectic last few months. Ill pm you after the weekend Banks, and hopefully get something pencilled in
Gracias sir. Whatever weekends you want, let me know and they're yours. That goes for everyone!

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

W wrote:If memory serves, she isn't in a love triangle with Miles Teller either.
You are correct. Her one and only love interest is played by Theo James.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Great column Banks!

I did see the first Divergent in theaters. I have the second one languishing on my DVR, and I just can't bring myself to watch it. And I fucking WRITE YA books...

(Shameless plug: my third book, Sophie's Different, is on Amazon now!!!)

Celebrity birthdays this week:

Corey Stoll turned 40 on 3/14
Jamie Bell turned 30 on 3/14
Jai Courtney turned 30 on 3/15
Alexandra Daddario turned 30 on 3/16 (DID YOU HAVE A PARTY, BANKS?!?!?!)
Jerry Lewis turned 90 on 3/16 (DID YOU HAVE A PARTY, CHIEN??!?!?)
Madeleine Carroll turned 20 on 3/18
Ursula Andress turns 80 on 3/19 (very FIRST Bond girl!)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Quick question: is Allegiant the worst reviewed film of Jeff Daniels' career?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shrykespeare wrote:Alexandra Daddario turned 30 on 3/16 (DID YOU HAVE A PARTY, BANKS?!?!?!)
Jerry Lewis turned 90 on 3/16 (DID YOU HAVE A PARTY, CHIEN??!?!?)
I did celebrate Jerry Lewis' birthday, with Alexandra Daddario, and Banks wasn't invited.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Buscemi wrote:Quick question: is Allegiant the worst reviewed film of Jeff Daniels' career?
Not quite. Gods and Generals got worse reviews.