SPEARE'S TIPS - The Films of 7/12

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: SPEARE'S TIPS - The Films of 7/12

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, this is going to make PTA hits harder to predict, as I have no idea how to research if films are on VOD or not. I can check IMDb for release dates in other countries, I guess. It's never been part of my research, but I guess I'll have to make the effort now.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

bestfilm wrote:I think it's important to notice that Pieta and The Hunt have been released in the US months after their releases in other countries... I saw Pieta last September just after Venice festival and Italy is not usually a champion for being first in releasing films... The Hunt has been on the internet for three or four months now, so I decided to put it in bankrupts, despite the terrific rating.
An interesting theory but I feel there's more to it. Taken was available to download way before its US release date, and look how well it did. As did Hero. Same with most Almodovar films. And every winter at least 2 or 3 award contenders have their Oscar screener leaked weeks before release. It'll be interesting to see if Grandmasters fares because that too is easily downloaded. I think it's more a case of poor return for smaller and struggling distributors (which admittedly may be due to piracy) and less expenses on VOD make it more interesting. Could be we see less and less arthouse films getting into theatres at all.

And Shryke, the distributor websites generally say whether a film is day-and-date or not. Next up is Only God Forgives.
Last edited by numbersix on July 17th, 2013, 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

The case of Taken was even more surprising, because it was a very wide release while the film had opened in its native France a whole year earlier.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

bestfilm
Donnie Darko

Post by bestfilm »

I didn't know about Taken... anyway, I think that could be a singular exception. Talking about indie films, if they're showed at the same time in theaters (as it happens during the awards season) or their release is due in few months it might be worthy waiting, but when we start talking about six-seven months or even more than a year things could change... Besides, apart of downloading (legally or not) interest for a given movie usually tapers out day after day...
For example, in Italy, when Venice/Cannes movies are released just after the festivals hype is relatively strong and they could be successful, when those movies are released months later the already few people following festivals lose part of their interest and movies flop, regardless of downloading, I think...