SPEARE'S TIPS - The Films of 3/15/13

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: SPEARE'S TIPS - The Films of 3/15/13

Post by Chienfantome »

Especially since it's announced to be upgraded to hundreds of theaters the following weekend. And like Six says, hot girls in bikinis in a well-received festival film can't go wrong in terms of PTA when it's opening in only 3 theaters.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

But do you think the arthouse crowd will attend a film headlined by tween-appealed actors that looks like a 90 minute music video? Franco doesn't have the arthouse cred he used to and Hudgens and Gomez have never had it (in fact, neither actor has done a film aimed for the adult or college aged crowd). Meanwhile, Mister Lonely had an arthouse darling at the time in Samantha Morton and Diego Luna had an arthouse hit in The Motorcycle Diaries. And if audiences want hot girls in bikinis, they will go to the Internet.

Also, Six's claim that hot girls in bikinis in a film with positive reviews makes money makes me think of Piranha 3-D. Positive reviews (the Rotten Tomatoes rating was a 74%) and hot girls in bikinis but it flopped at the box office.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Piranha 3D isn't a great comparison. Yes, it has hot girls in bikinis but it's not an arthouse movie and never tried to be. It also opened in 2400 theatres.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

But we're talking of a film opening in 3 theaters only, Boosch. Piranha was opening in thousands more.
And I can assure, given the huge success of the film in France, including in arthouse theaters, that YES, the arthouse crowd will attend a film like Spring Breakers. And cinephiles like their hot young girls in bikinis on the big screen much more than on a small internet screen ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

But in France, the film got a much bigger ad campaign. In the US, there has been almost no marketing (I don't even recall a US trailer ever being released and a poster wasn't released until a month before opening). And once again, there is no hook for highbrow audiences on this one. You are not going to see the typical big city audience watching a over-saturated and gratuitously violent and sexual movie with Disney regulars desperately trying to shed their good girl images. In fact, I can't really see what kind of audience would watch this film (other than perverted college-age kids who think My Little Pony is amazing).

One last thing: has there ever been a successful movie where the main purpose was to shed the good girl image of a teen star?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I can only feel misunderstood as a film buff anticipating the vision of this film in theater in only a few hours ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Considering the critics noted the satire in the film, I think it's fair to say the arthouse audience will have interest. And there have been plenty of trailers around, including this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgWBvRhRaEk

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Chienfantome wrote:I can only feel misunderstood as a film buff anticipating the vision of this film in theater in only a few hours ;)
But of course, you see everything and anything. I bet you'd watch The Oogieloves if given the chance.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I would certainly not. Every wednesday, between 10 (the low weeks) and 20 (the busy weeks) films open in Paris, and I only see 5 or 6 of them. It sure is high, but it's certainly not everything, believe it or not, I still carefully choose the films I go see ;)
And Spring Breakers have solid reviews in France, by the way.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Diego Luna was in Motorcycle Diaries? Sure you're not thinking of the better looking and generally more successful actor from Y Mama, Gael Garcia Bernal? Diego Luna has never really had much of an art house following, so I highly doubt his participation in Mister Lonely had any impact on it's success. It looked an intriguing movie (though it failed to deliver), and Spring Breakers looks the same. I doubt it will be a PTA goldmine, especially as it expands next weekend, but I am fairly certain there is enough buzz surrounding it to do well this weekend at least. It's been advertised to hell over the internet, and with a recognisable cast, good reviews and a buzz, it will do fine.

Will it beat From Up On Poppy Hill? I'm not sure, it's the first time GK Kids have released a Ghibli movie, so I'm not sure how the marketing for that has been compared to how Disney marketed them, it will probably be close.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Stock Report

Ultimate Full Year (R1, R2, R3 - 45 players)

Burt Wonderstone - 7, 3, 0
The Call - 0, 1, 1
Spring Breakers - 2, 2, 8
Ginger & Rosa - 0, 0, 1
Poppy Hill - 0, 1, 4
Reality - 1, 2, 1

Ultimate Half Year (R1, R2, R3 - 43 players)

Burt Wonderstone - 8, 3, 1
The Call - 0, 1, 2
Spring Breakers - 2, 2, 8
Ginger & Rosa - 0, 0, 0
Poppy Hill - 1, 1, 4
Reality - 2, 2, 1

Box Office Full Year (R1, R2, R3 - 47 players)

Burt Wonderstone - 4, 2, 1
The Call - 0, 3, 5
Spring Breakers - 5, 4, 2
Ginger & Rosa - 0, 0, 0
Poppy Hill - 1, 0, 0
Reality - 1, 1, 1

Box Office Half Year (R1, R2, R3 - 44 players)

Burt Wonderstone - 6, 3, 2
The Call - 0, 2, 5
Spring Breakers - 3, 5, 5
Ginger & Rosa - 0, 1, 1
Poppy Hill - 2, 0, 0
Reality - 0, 1, 1

Bankrupts Leagues, 1st Quarter (Ult - 11 players; BO - 13 players)

Burt Wonderstone - 2, 2
The Call - 2, 4
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Looks like Boussh called this one correct. Burt Wonderstone has bombed and will be lucky to hit $11m for the weekend, while The Call is heading for $17m in quite a number of locations less. Oz will of course top the weekend with a little over $40m after an $11m Friday.

Latest numbers:

1. Oz The Great And Powerful - $11m Friday/ $40m Weekend
2. The Call - $5.7m Friday/ $17m Weekend
3. The Incredible Burt Wonderstone - $3.5m Friday/ $11m Weekend

Surprised Burt bombed quite so bad with the talent on board, but I guess magic really doesn't sell these days! Luckily I avoided it on all slates. Very strong numbers for The Call, however. Didn't see anything near those figures.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Whew, I'm really glad I avoided Burt Wonderstone on all slates. Just always looked far too volatile to me, and always figured Oz would still be crushing everything in its path.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I'm shocked about this weekend's estimates. I thankfully avoided Burt Wonderstone. Initially I thought it would be a hit. Then I saw the awful posters, and the advance tracking warded me off. However, I did not see The Call doing well. Since when could Halle Berry draw an audience?

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I had Burt Wonderstone pencilled in as a Bankrupts pick since I joined the league in mid-January, so I'm glad to see I was right on that one. I'm a little surprised on The Call, but it still could be heavily front-loaded and over-estimated by Nikke.