SPEARE'S TIPS - The Films of 10/5

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Re: SPEARE'S TIPS - The Films of 10/5

Post by Brockster »

Let's see...Build in audience for Batman vs. Frankenweenie....hmmm...close, but I'm going with Batman

Build in audience for Alice in Wonderland vs. Frankenweenie...I'm gonna have to go w/ Alice, believe it or not

You see where I'm going with this...

It's an insult to our intelligence that you would even compare the build in audience of Frankenweenie to any of those franchises above. Come on man. Frankenweenies built in audience is lower than Dark Shadows built in audience. Come out of your Tim Burton cocoon Boosh. Welcome to the real world where most people think he's fucking weird and that Johnny Depp has been in all of his movies.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Boosh we get it, you like Tim Burton and you want to see Frankenweenie (Bias much seriously? I really wanted to see Dredd, but I didn't come out and say that's it going to be a major just because I have interest in it. That's the epitome of a piss-poor logic.) Don't come out and say shit like it has a huge audience when it's blatantly a cult thing (Just like Dark Shadows is a major cult property right?). Will Frankenweenie do alright? Yes. Will it be a giant hit with a $40 mil+ opening because audiences are aware of/love the short film? No fucking way. And before you come back with the "You hate Tim Burton" rebuttal save it because that's not why I don't think it will be a massive hit (Despite the fact that I'm a fart joke, explosion-loving, mindless, sack of shit with no taste in films I have grasped the concept of holding no bias when predicting a film's box business or quality of said film, A concept that a Rhodes scholar with such superior intelligence hasn't grasped yet.)
Last edited by transformers2 on October 1st, 2012, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Despite the fact that I'm a fart joke, explosion-loving, mindless, sack of shit with no taste in films
i think this explains most men from the US of A...me included. America, fuck yeah!

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

How funny would it be if Frankenweenie opened to $75M....
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:How funny would it be if Frankenweenie opened to $75M....
I'd retire from the game if that happened...
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I think we're all over-reacting a little bit to Boosch's prediction. Remember, some of his crazy ones actually came true!

Anyway, tracking is as follows:

Taken 2: MTC 52, RS mid 30s
Frankenweenie: MTC 17, RS high 30s
Pitch Perfect: MTC 13, RS mid teens

Boosch, you better be praying that RS is accurate this week ;)

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Damn, talk about all over the place!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Official Theater Counts:

Taken 2 - 3,661
Frankenweenie - 3,005
Butter - 90
V/H/S - 15
The Paperboy - 11

Pitch Perfect - expands to 2,770
Perks of Being a Wallflower - expands to 221

Estimates for next week:

Argo - 3,250+
Here Comes the Boom - 3,000
Sinister - 2,500
Seven Psychopaths - 1,475
War of the Buttons - 2
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Taken 2 opened on wednesday in France and it crushed the first film's opening score. It made 4 times more entries than the 1st one on its first day of release.
Taken : 50,000 entries on first day.
Taken 2 : 220,000 entries on first day.

I don't expect such a ratio for the US, but still, the weekend should be huge for Taken.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Stock Report:

Ultimate FY (R8, R9, R10 - 22 players)

Taken 2 - 18, 7, 5
Frankenweenie - 0, 0, 0
The Paperboy - 1, 0, 2
Butter - 0, 0, 0
V/H/S - 0, 2, 6

Ultimate HY (R3, R4, R5 - 28 players)

Taken 2 - 17, 7, 8
Frankenweenie - 1, 0, 0
The Paperboy - 1, 0, 2
Butter - 1, 1, 1
V/H/S - 1, 3, 4

Bankrupts, 4th Quarter (Ult - 14 players; BO - 16 players)

Taken - 1, 1
Frankenweenie - 5, 7

Box Office FY (R8, R9, R10 - 24 players)

Taken 2 - 17, 7, 5
Frankenweenie - 2, 2, 1
The Paperboy - 0, 1, 0
Butter - 0, 0, 0
V/H/S - 2, 2, 0

Box Office HY (R3, R4, R5 - 28 players)

Taken 2 - 18, 6, 4
Frankenweenie - 1, 1, 2
The Paperboy - 0, 0, 0
Butter - 0, 1, 0
V/H/S - 1, 3, 0

Current IMDb/RT scores:

Taken 2 - 7.8 (5,761), 17% (19/109 positive)
Frankenweenie - 7.1 (1,103), 83% (79/95 positive)
The Paperboy - 6.5 (611), 43% (26/61 positive)
Butter - 5.9 (1,316), 33% (15/45 positive)
V/H/S - 6.1 (5,711), 59% (32/54 positive)

So Frankenweenie has the only "Fresh" score of the bunch, but all of them have decent Ratings.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Well, everyone was right. Frankenweenie is only looking at a mid to low double digits weekend. But I don't get why. The reviews were strong, the marketing was everywhere and it's a family film that doesn't pander solely to juveniles. What went wrong? (And please, don't say it was because of Dark Shadows. Because I know that everyone here hates Tim Burton and actively rooted for this film to fail.)

Meanwhile, Taken 2 is looking at a mid 30's to low 40's weekend (I expect this number to drop to low 30's if audiences hate it the same way that critics have) while Pitch Perfect expands decently with mid to low double digits.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Boosh, we've been telling you the reasons why it wasn't going to break out for weeks. Black and White, too similar and too close in release to Paranorman, too much competition from Hotel Transylvania, it didn't look like anything special, absolutely awful name.... lots of factors here....
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

ParaNorman and Frankenweenie were different enough that the two could coexist. ParaNorman was made for the Diary of a Wimpy Kid crowd (preteen boys) while Frankenweenie has a more diverse appeal.

And the black and white debate thing again? Saying that people won't go see a movie that's in black and white is a load of crap. The Artist made $45 million in a semi-wide release, Sin City grossed $80 million. If people will go watch David Fincher's "let's run the negative in a pile of mud" type filmmaking, then people will come to a black and white movie. People like you are why Hollywood is only interested in making loud, bloated eye rape with no honest attempts at acting instead of making the type of film that the filmmaker wants to make.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

I don't know if everyone here hates Tim Burton (I definitely do though, with the exceptions of Sweeney Todd/Beetlejuice), but Frankenweenie always had a very limited audience.

Between it, Paranorman, and Hotel Transylvania, one horror-lite cartoon had to fail - which is funny, because I think Frankenweenie will end up making more than Paranorman did by the end of its run.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Buscemi wrote:ParaNorman and Frankenweenie were different enough that the two could coexist. ParaNorman was made for the Diary of a Wimpy Kid crowd (preteen boys) while Frankenweenie has a more diverse appeal.

And the black and white debate thing again? Saying that people won't go see a movie that's in black and white is a load of crap. The Artist made $45 million in a semi-wide release, Sin City grossed $80 million. If people will go watch David Fincher's "let's run the negative in a pile of mud" type filmmaking, then people will come to a black and white movie. People like you are why Hollywood is only interested in making loud, bloated eye rape with no honest attempts at acting instead of making the type of film that the filmmaker wants to make.
I do have a question though - why do you always feel the need to attack people? Geez didn't do anything wrong, he didn't personally cause Frankenweenie to underperform (if it even has, we're still talking about FRIDAY ESTIMATES here).

If I remember correctly, Six/SS/Chien all agreed that Frankenweenie wouldn't do too well, and I personally think they have the most sophisticated taste in film around these here parts (ironically, you too...).

I imagine the four of you like this -> :ugeek: :geek: :ugeek: :geek: watching the latest French realist noir silent documentary on the seedy underbelly of pregnant snake dealing while the rest of us enjoy our 21 Jump Streets, Avengers, Chronicles, and so on :lol: