SPEARE'S TIPS - The Films of 9/21

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: SPEARE'S TIPS - The Films of 9/21

Post by Chienfantome »

I'm not sure the trailer and poster screamed "UK !" to the eyes of the american moviegoer...
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

But it does have that dark and gritty feel more associated with a UK film than a US film (where they tend to make cop films either comedies or lighten dark moods with color schemes that create a dissonance with the content).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Shonenbat wrote:Dredd too british? I doubt 1% of regular moviegoers even knew it's based on a comic book, let alone a british one. It's a retro looking sy fy action movie. It didn't stand a chance, there's just no audience for this kind of thing.

Perks kicked ass.
This + who cares about Karl Urban + Judge Dredd isn't exactly beloved to begin with.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Buscemi wrote:But it does have that dark and gritty feel more associated with a UK film than a US film (where they tend to make cop films either comedies or lighten dark moods with color schemes that create a dissonance with the content).
Maybe it's just the french in me speaking, because I know that when (if) Dredd is released in France, 99.9% of the moviegoers will see the film as a Hollywood film.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Karl Urban was Dr. McCoy in the most recent Star Trek. I'd say a decent amount of people know who he is.

But I still believe that audiences would have showed up had it been an American-made film (since the type of audience for action films like them as American as possible, just look all of the big action movies that had pro-military themes). Of course, the film would have been nowhere near as intriguing or liked by the critics.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I'd say very few people could pick Chris Pine out of a line up, let alone Karl Urban. My brother has like eight or ten Blu-Rays, one of which is Star Trek. If I asked him who played McCoy, I'm sure he'd have no clue.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Boosh, let me spell it out for you, NO ONE KNEW IT WAS EVEN SLIGHTLY ASSOCIATED WITH GREAT BRITAIN. That had ZERO impact on its failure. You wanna know why it failed? It was released in September, on the one weekend where there were actually other films coming out that people wanted to see, ON TOP OF THE FACT THAT IT LOOKED LIKE COMPLETE SHIT. That and the original Judge Dredd has a cult following at best, was never that popular, and that type of following probably wouldn't even be pleased that they chose to remake the original, especially when it looked like shit. Trust me, I AM the target audience for this, and never had the slightest bit of interest here. There was no room on the slate this weekend for this film. Saying it failed because t was "too British" couldn't be more idiotic.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

I hate myself for putting The Master on ALL of my slates.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Don't hate yourself for that, it will still get you PTA points and consistent box-office for a rather cheap price ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Better statement:

Don't feel bad, so did EVERYONE ELSE

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

It was cheap in BO, $4, I'm sure it'll be worth it. Maybe less in Ultimate in the end, but hey, there's been much worse lately.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Weekend Actuals:

Top 10:
5 points - End of Watch, $13.2M
4 points - House at the End of the Street, $12.3M
3 points - Trouble with the Curve, $12.2M
2 points - Finding Nemo 3D, $9.6M
1 point - Resident Evil: Retribution, $6.7M
Dredd, $6.3M
The Master, $4.4M
The Possession, $2.6M
ParaNorman, $2.3M
Lawless, $2.3M

PTA:
5 points - The Perks of Being a Wallflower, $57,090
4 points - Diana Vreeland: The Eye Has to Travel, $21,233
3 points - How to Survive a Plague, $7,839
2 points - The Master, $5,572
1 point - End of Watch, $4818
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Geezer wrote:Boosh, let me spell it out for you, NO ONE KNEW IT WAS EVEN SLIGHTLY ASSOCIATED WITH GREAT BRITAIN. That had ZERO impact on its failure. You wanna know why it failed? It was released in September, on the one weekend where there were actually other films coming out that people wanted to see, ON TOP OF THE FACT THAT IT LOOKED LIKE COMPLETE SHIT. That and the original Judge Dredd has a cult following at best, was never that popular, and that type of following probably wouldn't even be pleased that they chose to remake the original, especially when it looked like shit. Trust me, I AM the target audience for this, and never had the slightest bit of interest here. There was no room on the slate this weekend for this film. Saying it failed because t was "too British" couldn't be more idiotic.
You make some good points and I agree with everything except it looked like shit (Having seen it, I can easily say that you would enjoy it geez. It's a really good B-level action movie with a ton of badass action and gore). The reason it failed is because it was a niche movie, the advertising was pretty much non-existent, and it was released on a crowded weekend (End of Watch swallowed up any potential audience it would've had). Also Boosh seriously it failed because it's a British production and most audiences know who Karl Urban is? (most of my friends who are decently in tune with movies don't know who Karl Urban is for Christ's sake) You never cease to amaze....
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Well, I can't say the ads for the film impressed me. And I was always going to see TWTC this weekend. I saw the trailer and it was all over. It's just MY type of movie. But maybe I'll catch Dredd on Red Box

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I've got to see Dredd. Too many good reviews to ignore it.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)