SPEARE'S TIPS - The Films of 9/21

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: SPEARE'S TIPS - The Films of 9/21

Post by Shrykespeare »

Buscemi wrote:If his movies are legs films, then how do you explain the low numbers on Invictus and J. Edgar? And Gran Torino had a big opening when it went wide (and wasn't hampered by bizarre appearances).

The film will be lucky to hit $50 million now (seeing that this is a film that Warner Bros. expected to be big).

I think Eastwood the actor has a much bigger draw than Eastwood the director. I'd bet money that the average moviegoer would rather go see a movie with him in it than one where he was merely the director (if they even bothered to find out).

I mean, does the average moviegoer really care who directed a film? Maybe if it's a Spielberg, or a Nolan, or a Fincher, or maybe one or two others. Honestly, I think about 90% of the population really only cares if it looks interesting, and most of Eastwood's films (that he hasn't appeared) have looked too ponderous, too boring, or too ambiguous.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

But still, you think that a guy who is well-known as Eastwood could get a consistent amount of hits (acting and directing) instead of being hit or miss at the box office.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Any way you guys try to spin it, Trouble With The Curve is disappointing. Same with Hope Springs, that came nowhere near other comparable Meryl Streep movies.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Weekend Estimates

Top 10:
5/4 points - House at the End of the Street, $13.0M
5/4 points - End of Watch, $13.0M
3 points - Trouble with the Curve, $12.7M
2 points - Finding Nemo, $9.4M
1 point - Resident Evil: Retribution, $6.7M
Dredd, $6.3M
The Master, $5.0M
The Possession, $2.6M
Lawless, $2.3M
ParaNorman, $2.2M

PTA:
5 points - The Perks of Being a Wallflower
4 points - Diana Vreeland: The Eye Has to Travel
3 points - How to Survive a Plague
2 points - The Master
1 point - End of Watch

So every film gets at least one PTA or one Top 5 point except Dredd.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

So... is the Master going to end up being worth it.... That's a BAD PTA number
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I thought The Master was a shoe-in for double digit PTA. Guess it won't happen now.

Boy, I bet the two or three people who picked Diana Vreeland are happy.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Keep the lights on numbers don't seem to be in yet... (yeah, I know, it's wishful thinking...)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I had Diana Vreeland, but all The Master talk had me switch my slate around, including taking Trouble with the Curve... Booooo!
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I think that people were asking about why Dredd flopped. My opinion: the film was well-marketed but I guess it was too British to connect with the mainstream American audience. This is also likely why other UK-made action films hardly get released (if they do).

Now, it wouldn't surprise me to see Lionsgate shelve Hummingbird (despite having Statham in the lead, it's a very British-sounding film).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Were people asking why Dredd flopped? I think it was fairly obvious from the outset it was never going to succeed.

Is 2000 AD even that popular in the states? I never really ever imagined it was, which fundamentally makes it more of a niche movie than most other comic adaptations, much in line with movies like Jonah Hex or Conan. That and the bad taste Stallone left in everyone's mouth from his attempt are probably the reasons for it's failure, as well as it being placed in a pretty bad weekend, where almost every movie flopped.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I certainly know that Skunk (at his site) was asking why it flopped and I figured there were others.

Anyway, the trailers made no mention of 2000 A.D. and put all of its focus on the action. And you think that the aural assault of violence and the compelling plot of cops vs. drug lords in a walled city would have been enough to sell it. But alas, it was simply too foreign for an American audience to succeed.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

silversurfer19 wrote:Were people asking why Dredd flopped? I think it was fairly obvious from the outset it was never going to succeed.

Is 2000 AD even that popular in the states? I never really ever imagined it was, which fundamentally makes it more of a niche movie than most other comic adaptations, much in line with movies like Jonah Hex or Conan. That and the bad taste Stallone left in everyone's mouth from his attempt are probably the reasons for it's failure, as well as it being placed in a pretty bad weekend, where almost every movie flopped.
What is 2000 A.D.?
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

It's an anthology comic book series best known in the UK, Geez.

Shonenbat
Harry Tuttle

Post by Shonenbat »

Dredd too british? I doubt 1% of regular moviegoers even knew it's based on a comic book, let alone a british one. It's a retro looking sy fy action movie. It didn't stand a chance, there's just no audience for this kind of thing.

Perks kicked ass.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

It was a UK production (though filmed in South Africa) and most of the cast and crew was based there (the major exceptions being Urban and Thirlby). Mainstream action movie audiences in the US rarely go crazy over Europe-based projects due them being so rooted in the country that financed them (this is a major reason why we've never seen an action movie set on the Autobahn, for example).