SPEARE'S TIPS - The Films of 11/16/11-11/18/11

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: SPEARE'S TIPS - The Films of 11/16/11-11/18/11

Post by Buscemi »

Breaking Dawn is estimated for a $72 million opening day ($30.5 million coming from midnights). Deadline claims it's a slump breaker but I question if there was even a slump to begin with (the last four weeks had at least one film with $30 million, Paranormal Activity 3 broke the October record and Puss in Boots broke the Halloween record).

Of course, Finke also claimed that Immortals' $32 million opening was so-so despite it being an R-rated indie film with no stars.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

72m Friday? so what will taht be, 140-145m weekend? So much for the huge drop in audience for the final movie/s Boosch ;)

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

It's the next to last. But with this one having the worst reviews so far, a large dropoff should be expected for the last one.

The $72 million opening is the same as New Moon and that dropped 70% in the second week. I'm expecting a 75% second week drop here.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Buscemi wrote:Wild Hogs (a turd of a film) grossed $175 million, W. Crap is king and we can't stop that.
Ah... To us it is crap. Millions of late 30+ people ate that up as did kids. I remember when it came out my parents and all their friends saw it and really liked it. I imagine that's how it was around the country. Most of those films you mentioned were bad to almost everyone.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Twilight is review-proof. Isn't that obvious?

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I don't remember anyone liking Wild Hogs. When that made money, people must have been under some sort of spell. You didn't see anyone calling it "the funniest movie ever" or anything. The best reactions on it seemed to be that it was decent and nothing special. But somehow, it made $175 million.

As for Twilight being review-proof, keep in mind that Breaking Dawn is considered the weakest of the books and its reception led to future books being canceled.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

The last book literally sold millions of copies. Where did you get the idea that future books were cancelled because of it? Didn't Meyer just finish the story, or are you referring to to Midnight Sun which was cancelled because it was leaked online?

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I am referring to Midnight Sun. Meyer claimed that it was canceled because it was leaked but I think that was a cover-up for "Breaking Dawn was poorly received and the Bree Tanner book didn't sell". They were planning more books before that happened.

And bad books sell all the time. Glenn Beck's The Overton Window is considered one of the worst books ever written and yet it sold millions.

Also in: Happy Feet Two is tracking for a $22 million weekend. Proof that Warner Bros. waited too long to do a sequel. (However, it will probably hold well enough in later weekends against the fanboy-driven Muppets, the platformed Hugo and the possibly too British Arthur Christmas). The Descendants is looking at $1 million for the weekend.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I'm afraid that's just a case of your imagination getting the better of you. Do you honeslty think just because it didn't sell as well as the other books that it still didn't make a ridiculous amount of money? You literally have no evidence and are just making it up.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

As I said, bad books still sell well. And Breaking Dawn was bound to sell because of the Twilight name. But there's no denying that it's considered the weakest of the series. Also, I never said anything about money.

While the first three are generally well-received among fans, Breaking Dawn largely broke the base and many readers basically gave up on it or even renounced the series after it. Remember my Amazon link of the book? There were far more dislikes on it than the others due to the massive story derailment and the emphasis on cheap gore.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

The numbers are decreasing: Breaking Dawn now looking a $70 million Friday and a $135 million weekend. This is lower than New Moon in both cases.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

wasn't Midnight Sun just the first book over again, but with a different viewpoint? Of course that was cancelled....

as for this weekend's twilight's OW and final gross, it'll be just on par of all the others. Just like the last one will be.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I had read somewhere (I forget where, it was long ago) that three more books were planned after Breaking Dawn and Midnight Sun was the first one. I think that Bree Tanner and The Host (the latter being unrelated) ended up replacing those books in a publisher deal.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

If something sells, then it doesn't matter how good it is, it'll get a sequel if the author wants to do one.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Buscemi wrote: While the first three are generally well-received among fans, Breaking Dawn largely broke the base and many readers basically gave up on it or even renounced the series after it. Remember my Amazon link of the book? There were far more dislikes on it than the others due to the massive story derailment and the emphasis on cheap gore.
Your Amazon link proved anything. Just think about it. Do you think the few thousand voter on Amazon has any direct correlation to how people regarded it? Where's your evidence? The Harry Potter books all have roughly the same rating on Amazon yet the final movie blew expectations out of the water. What can we conclude? That there's no link.