SPEARE'S TIPS - The Films of 11/16/11-11/18/11

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: SPEARE'S TIPS - The Films of 11/16/11-11/18/11

Post by numbersix »

I think it's pushing it to conclude that film trailers shown before Twilight are somehow affected. Plenty of bad films have successful trailers before it, plenty of good films have bombs placed before it.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Chienfantome wrote:
Buscemi wrote:Bad Santa can't really compared to The Sitter due it having some high quality names involved (The Coen Brothers produced the film, Terry Zwigoff of Ghost World fame directed and Billy Bob Thornton was still rather respected at the time). The Sitter just has Hill, Sam Rockwell slumming it and a fallen David Gordon Green.
Did I read correctly Boosch ? Did you just write that Terry Zwigoff directing was a key factor in Bad Santa's success at the box-office ? Now that's a good one :lol:
I concur :lol: I think that might rank amongst the most absurd statements Boosch has ever made.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Read my explanation. As I said, it helped the reviews and adult appeal.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

numbersix wrote:I think it's pushing it to conclude that film trailers shown before Twilight are somehow affected. Plenty of bad films have successful trailers before it, plenty of good films have bombs placed before it.
To show an example, here were the trailers attached and enclosed before 35mm prints of Twilight (from Film Tech):

Attached:
Push

Enclosed:
Confessions of a Shopaholic
Dance Flick
Knowing
The Spirit
Bride Wars
The Unborn
Fired Up

Digital cinema prints also had a trailer for Adventureland.

Out of these, only Knowing and The Unborn did well for their studios. Everything else flopped or underperformed. This is a 22.2% percent rate of success. Seeing that Twilight grossed $190 million domestically, that's abysmal.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

My god, you're right. By that one example you've suddenly discovered the key to the lack of those film's success. How the studios aren't beating down your door to hire you as CEO I'll never figure out.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Ha ha, shut up.

As you can see, much of these films underperformed or outright flopped (Remember Shryke predicting major success for Push? Or the predictions that Confessions of a Shopaholic would be neck and neck with He's Just Not That Into You for the big date movie for Valentine's Day 2009?).

An additional example: the Summit attachment and enclosure for New Moon was Remember Me and Letters To Juliet. While Letters To Juliet did decent box office, Remember Me was an enormous flop (this was also another "Box Office Mojo forum members predict $100 million" movie).

However, there is one film that defeats the curse: the Eclipse attachment was RED, which was a surprise hit.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Sure, but I don't think being films that were promoted before Twilight had any effect on them flopping or not. There's far more important factors involved in the success or not of a film, don't you think?

As further proof to dismiss any link, let's look at another blockbuster. For Rise of the Planet of the Apes you said the following were screenedL

"Our Idiot Brother
The Sitter
Paranormal Activity 3
Conan The Barbarian
In Time"

According to your logic, only 1 film (or 20%) made money, the rest were bombs or underperformed (including The Sitter, which you believe will sink). So by your logic there is a link between the people who watch this film and the failure of the films promoted in the trailers?

As for BOM's predictions, I agree in that they're not the most trustworthy of predictors, and have often completely got it wrong. Look at that, I'm agreeing with you!

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Okay, good point. I was just saying that with a film featuring so much hype, there should be a few more hits in that mix.

And Our Idiot Brother actually made its budget back (it cost $5 million and has made $25 million to date). In Time will likely break even too due its international success (but that's beside the point on the latter).

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

And so by this very logic Boosch you cannot say that Remember Me was a huge flop, since it made its budget back too, like our Idiot Brother...
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I didn't know that. I thought it cost more than $20 million.

Thanks for the info. I shall reclassify it as an underperformer (due to the mentioned $100 million predictions).

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Buscemi wrote:Thanks for the info
I feel privileged ;)
You're welcome Boosch.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Man! That was a list of great films, some could have been Top 250 candidates if they hadn't been attached to the Twilight franchise!

Seriously, those were some bad films. If you advertise the Hell out of a turd it just makes people aware that there's a film to avoid.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Wild Hogs (a turd of a film) grossed $175 million, W. Crap is king and we can't stop that.

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Wild Hogs was on my very first slate ever on the old site! Glad I took it :) Ah, memories.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Me too Brockster ! It seems like ages ago ! Well, now that I think of it... I'm not sure I had drafted it, but it definitely was during that season that I started to play.
Fluctuat nec mergitur