SPEARE'S TIPS - The Films of 11/16/11-11/18/11

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Re: SPEARE'S TIPS - The Films of 11/16/11-11/18/11

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Buscemi wrote:But those two were sold on Apatow's name (and Get Him To The Greek had awful trailers). This movie has a second-tier member of Apatow's troupe and a director whose last film was a major disaster (that killed any chance of Danny McBride ever leading a movie again).
But do you really think people went to Greek and Sarah Marshall just because they threw around "from the producers of Superbad and Knocked Up"...?

The Sitter has great trailers, and while it may not get $60M, it will do at least $40M, which is not bad.

Hell, during the same time frame, Bad Santa had a 12/60 run, so this shouldn't be too far off.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Agreed...you're full of shit if you think people go see movies b/c of Judd Apatow...I'm talking mainstream movie goers...not geeks like us. People went and saw those movies b/c they thought they looked funny. They will do the same if they think the Sitter looks funny.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Brockster wrote:Agreed...you're full of shit if you think people go see movies b/c of Judd Apatow...I'm talking mainstream movie goers...not geeks like us. People went and saw those movies b/c they thought they looked funny. They will do the same if they think the Sitter looks funny.
100% accurate
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Get Him To The Greek wouldn't have grossed half the numbers without Apatow's name. Russell Brand is box office poison and Jonah Hill is a second-tier name in Apatow's troupe. Audiences need a hook for a gross-out comedy with no stars. And Apatow was that hook.

Meanwhile, The Sitter just looks like your average raunchy comedy with a high concept that's been done before (babysitter has a wild night with the kids). It would have fared better in a dump month like January.

Bad Santa can't really compared to The Sitter due it having some high quality names involved (The Coen Brothers produced the film, Terry Zwigoff of Ghost World fame directed and Billy Bob Thornton was still rather respected at the time). The Sitter just has Hill, Sam Rockwell slumming it and a fallen David Gordon Green.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Official theater counts:

Twilight Breaking Dawn Pt 1 - 4,061
Happy Feet Two - 3,606
The Descendants - 27 (on Fri.)

Estimates for next week:

The Muppets - 3,300
Arthur Christmas - 3,300
Hugo - 1,200
My Week With Marilyn - 125 on 11/23, 250 on 11/25
The Artist - 4
A Dangerous Method - N/A

Wow. I picked both Hugo (my #2 choice) and My Week With Marilyn for the FY Draft league. I couldn't have picked worse if I'd tried...
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Speaking of Russell Brand, I'm seeing him on Saturday! Wicked excited!
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Box Office Mojo's predictions for the winter biggies:

1. Twilight: Breaking Dawn Pt 1 - $290 million
2. Sherlock Holmes A Game of Shadows - $240 million
3. Alvin & the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked - $200 million
4. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - $165 million*
5. Happy Feet Two - $155 million
6. Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol - $125 million
7. Arthur Christmas - $120 million
8. The Adventures of Tintin - $115 million
9. We Bought a Zoo - $105 million
10. New Year's Eve - $90 million

That's right... The Muppets does not even make their Top 10.

* Boosh: Quote BOM: "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is probably the most popular adult book to receive the big screen treatment since The Da Vinci Code, which grossed $217.5 million in 2006. Dragon Tattoo is way too dark to come close to that figure, but it has a knockout campaign, which counterprograms it as "The Feel Bad Movie of Christmas," should make it a top choice throughout the Holiday season and well in to January."
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Shrykespeare wrote: * Boosh: Quote BOM: "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is probably the most popular adult book to receive the big screen treatment since The Da Vinci Code, which grossed $217.5 million in 2006. Dragon Tattoo is way too dark to come close to that figure, but it has a knockout campaign, which counterprograms it as "The Feel Bad Movie of Christmas," should make it a top choice throughout the Holiday season and well in to January."
HE said that? Or someone else said that?
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

box office mojo said it

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Ok... I thought he meant that Buscemi was on the Mojo Forums saying Girl was going to do very well. I was wondering what was going on...
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

thswrestler160
Private Pyle

Post by thswrestler160 »

No numbers from deadline yet but my city did about the same amount of business for breaking dawn tonight as we did for HP pt 2 which is about 2100 ppl for the midnight in a city of 70,000. I'm betting it will fall short of HP midnight record but only just. 150 or so for the weekend is well within reach.

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

Buscemi wrote:Bad Santa can't really compared to The Sitter due it having some high quality names involved (The Coen Brothers produced the film, Terry Zwigoff of Ghost World fame directed and Billy Bob Thornton was still rather respected at the time). The Sitter just has Hill, Sam Rockwell slumming it and a fallen David Gordon Green.
Did I read correctly Boosch ? Did you just write that Terry Zwigoff directing was a key factor in Bad Santa's success at the box-office ? Now that's a good one :lol:
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

BOM are really high on Arthur Christmas. I'm not sure if I see it doing that well, even if it is a Christmas themed movie. Should have good legs until Alvin comes along and spoils it all (and then Tintin/Zoo the following week)

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Chienfantome wrote:
Buscemi wrote:Bad Santa can't really compared to The Sitter due it having some high quality names involved (The Coen Brothers produced the film, Terry Zwigoff of Ghost World fame directed and Billy Bob Thornton was still rather respected at the time). The Sitter just has Hill, Sam Rockwell slumming it and a fallen David Gordon Green.
Did I read correctly Boosch ? Did you just write that Terry Zwigoff directing was a key factor in Bad Santa's success at the box-office ? Now that's a good one :lol:
It was good for the reviews, at least (Zwigoff was an arthouse darling with Crumb and Ghost World, his name along The Coen Brothers' names would help a film like this get good critical notice and adult appeal). Good reviews on a film like Bad Santa would allow a crossover into audiences that wouldn't normally see a film like it. Harvey Weinstein distributing was also good for bringing in adults.

And also, Box Office Mojo is basically run by fanboys (remember when the forum members were predicting $100 million on Charlie St. Cloud?). If Fincher wasn't doing the film, they wouldn't even be saying $50 million.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Early trailer reactions from Twilight screenings (according to notfabio at HSX) have Titanic 3-D being the breakout hit. The Hunger Games got a weak trailer reaction.

But then again, having a trailer shown before a Twilight movie seems to be a curse in itself. Besides Harry Potter, has any movie with a trailer shown before Twilight done well?