SPEARE'S TIPS - The Films of 9/23/11

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

Re: SPEARE'S TIPS - The Films of 9/23/11

Post by W »

Toy Story 1+2 was in the Full-Year, not a part of the MMG-style. I don't remember it taking points away, but I may be wrong. Also, were we playing on MMG when it was released OCT 2009? I can't remember when we started there. I don't think we were.

And though I'd rather them not play into the game at all, the current system is preferable to me than actually having them available to be picked.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shrykespeare wrote:The Toy Story re-release was NOT in the game.

Because of this development, I may have to include re-releases from now on. Titanic is coming up next, I think.
But aren't films rereleased all the time? There's a major re-release of Jurassic Park over here at the moment, so the question is where do you draw the line? When BOM reports it on their release schedule?

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

That's about the size of it, Six.

BOM's schedule is the source for having new movies added. And if a re-release is scheduled where it looks like it might actually earn Top 5 points and at least $10 million, it should be added. Would you guys agree?
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Personally, I'd prefer if all re-releases were completely discarded (i.e. has no impact on Top 5 points even if it wins a weekend) but I imagine that's technically harder to achieve in the site than including them. I'm also not keen on including rereleases because their IMDB score is already set in stone because they have an unfair advantage over new movies, and it makes picking them a safer and less competitive option.

It was a pain to see Lion King do so well and take away precious T5 points from Moneyball and Dolphin's Tale, but you could argue that's just part of the strategy of the game, as we knew in advance what the rules are.

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

I agree with Six...let's leave them out of the game. It's part of the strategy, as he pointed out, just like you know you're going to get an awful imdb score if you pick a Tyler Perry movie.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I'm with Six and Brockster on the subject, if we could choose, I would definitely opt for a non-existence of those re-issues in the game...
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

The Mill and the Cross gets another 2 PTA points, Abduction has only 1, and Killer Elite gets nada

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

You say we knew in advance what the rules were, but in reality, we didn't. I'm pretty sure most of us thought that if a film isn't in the game, its numbers are disregarded completely. At least I did when I was building my slates and putting Moneyball on everything.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I gotta admit I didn't expect The Lion King's results would affect the game's points...
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I think thius issue had come up before, Geez, around the time Toy Story 1 and 2 were re-released. I think that's when I heard about the re-release rule.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I think the issue did come up before, but to be honest, I had totally forgotten, and like Geez thought it would be a good opportunity to claim 5 top 5 points for both Drive and Moneyball. Guess it's my own fault, we should probably be aware of these before each league starts, but we are all in the same boat and I can't really complain. Just got to make the best of the remaining movies now.

thswrestler160
Private Pyle

Post by thswrestler160 »

I think that it would be easier for everyone with their slates and decisions if we include them all. Toy story's rerelease wasn't ever going to have a huge impact on the standings so I was okay with it not being included but Lion King was definitely going to win its weekend and stick around the next. We have a few more high profile rereleases coming up that definitely need to be considered. Star wars episode 1 in 3D will be released in February with I guarantee will nab a good amount of top 5 and pta. If people are worried about the IMDB score being set in stone then we simply price it higher. I would be more than willing to price a rerelease a few extra dollars higher than I normally would. But seeing as how we have movies that get released with set scores on here all the time I dont know why that should be an issue. Everyone KNOWS a TP movie will get a low score just like Everyone KNOWS movies like Dark Knight, Avatar, Inception were all going to get 8+. Hell half the limited movies that we add have scores already with a few thousand votes and no one cares about that. I think they either need to be added in completely as in the earn points just like every other movie or not at all Moneyball should be getting 5 top5 this weekend If Lion King isn't counting. I also don't like that PTA and Top 5 rules are different for what counts and doesn't but we have already discussed that not too long ago.

At the very least if we don't include them then every league that they WOULD be available we need to warn everyone that their stats will not be counted. So for the Dec, Jan, Feb leagues we need to warn everyone that anything star wars makes wont help them at all they just need to avoid any movies that weekend cuz they'll be getting one less point each.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Weekend Actuals:

Top 10:
The Lion King 3D, $21.9M
4 points - Moneyball, $19.5M
3 points - Dolphin Tale, $19.2M
2 points - Abduction, $10.9M
1 point - Killer Elite, $9.4M
Contagion, $8.5M
Drive, $5.8M
The Help, $4.4M
Straw Dogs, $2.1M
I Don't Know How She Does It, $2.0M

PTA:
5 points - Machine Gun Preacher
4 points - Moneyball
3 points - Dolphin Tale
2 points - The Mill and the Cross
1 point - Abduction
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Very well said wrestler.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

I agree with Wrestler that most of the limited releases already have votes on the board, which means you get a good idea of its score before its even released. It shouldnt effect the pricing of the movie that much, at the moment a re-release is a bit of an unknown quantity. Not many of us would have predicted Lion King to win two weekends in a row??

We should add re-releases to the pricing panel especially as Hollywood are going gaga over them at the moment with the amount of films coming out.
"Then telephone for an axe"