SPEARE'S TIPS - The Films of 7/22/11

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: SPEARE'S TIPS - The Films of 7/22/11

Post by Buscemi »

silversurfer19 wrote:Seriously, is this still being discussed?

Anyway, I mean more in terms of comic book movies. I've noticed a lot depends on word of mouth and critical reaction this year, and so getting bad feedback will hurt it's legs, imo. Plus, it's competition is a little stiffer than Battle LA, which came out when there wasn't much around bar Rango really.
It's the only movie to compare it to. You can't really compare it to Green Lantern or Thor since they didn't have a patriotic angle that this one is selling. Also, Captain America is being aimed towards an audience that rarely sees movies (just like Battle: Los Angeles).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Also, Captain America is being aimed towards an audience that rarely sees movies (just like Battle: Los Angeles).
Huh? I thought Comic Book geeks went in droves to the theaters.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I'm talking about patriotic, God-fearing, McCain-voting Americans. The types that complain about the media being too liberal will eat up movies like this.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I highly, highly doubt they are the target demographic for Marvel though, and they certainly won't be the ones who bring in most of it's business. That is wholeheartedly reserved for the comic book crowd. Trying to shoehorn in your own agenda onto a movie just reeks of desperation now, Boussh. It's a summer tentpole comic book movie, no matter which way you look at it, and it will play just like one. A small minority (and that's exactly the crowd you are referring to in regards to their cinema aspirations) are not going to affect it's outcome.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

But how come this is getting more marketing outside of the comic book crowd than Thor or Green Lantern? Paramount knows the audience for this one and it is not just comic book fans.

It's just like the Transformers movies made all that money despite bad reviews because a lot of people wanted to see its glorification of the military.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Buscemi wrote:But how come this is getting more marketing outside of the comic book crowd than Thor or Green Lantern? Paramount knows the audience for this one and it is not just comic book fans.

It's just like the Transformers movies made all that money despite bad reviews because a lot of people wanted to see its glorification of the military.
People wanted to go see robots beat the shit out of each other. I guarantee you if you asked 1000 people multiple choice answers on why they saw Transformers "robots beating the shit out of each other" would outrank "glorification of the military". I'd be surprised if "glorification of the military" got on vote.

And I saw 50x more marketing for Thor and 10x more marketing for The Green Lantern. And what's wrong with being a God-fearing McCain voter? I'm one of those things (the latter) and pretty proud of it. And I think MSNBC is just as liberal as FOX News is conservative, so I won't watch either.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Because it's CAPTAIN AMERICA, for crying out loud, he's one of THE most famous characters from the comic world, heck, a lot more people know him than Thor or GL, and not just because of it's military background. Yes there were propoganda elements surrounding his introduction, but he is much more than that. Spider-Man is a patriotic symbol too, but would you compare it's BO chances to Battle LA? Of course not, you compare it like for like with comic book movies. The bigger the star (and Cap is in the top two or three characters for Marvel), the bigger the awareness and therefore marketing. It's really not that complicated, despite your intentions.

And I doubt anyone went to see Transformers for it's glorification of the military either. It was because it's a cool franchise, and one which many of today's movie going public grew up on. Seriously, sometimes I think you just need to take a step back.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Nothing is wrong with it. It's just that those are the type of people would go see a movie like Captain America.

And maybe I was exaggerating a bit on Transformers but it would have maybe hit $200 million tops with just robots beating the shit out of each other. The rest came from its blatant patriotism.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I think you have "the appearance of tanks/fighter jets/Captain America" confused with "blatant patriotism".

I don't even think anything about Captain America is patriotic, just because he wears red, white, and blue doesn't mean it will be a "patriotic" movie (whatever that is). The movie is being sold on the character and its history in comic books, I HIGHLY doubt the average Republican who didn't go see Thor or X-Men or Green Lantern is suddenly going to drop money on this one.

Besides, I'm sure they'll seek that Sarah Palin documentary that's playing now.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

He's called Captain America, his dream is the fight for the military, the villain is a superhuman Nazi named the Red Skull and it takes place during World War II. You cannot get more patriotic than that.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

If you were a character created during the Holocaust/WWII to help in the destruction of the Third Reich, I think it's acceptable to have the movie nowadays and not be critiqued solely on that...

There's no doubt that the brand was built on patriotism as was Rosie the Riveter (which I found out wasn't mainstream until much after the war), but I don't think they are being blatant considering it's source material. It's kind of like calling Saving Private Ryan patriotic.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Buscemi wrote:
silversurfer19 wrote:Seriously, is this still being discussed?

Anyway, I mean more in terms of comic book movies. I've noticed a lot depends on word of mouth and critical reaction this year, and so getting bad feedback will hurt it's legs, imo. Plus, it's competition is a little stiffer than Battle LA, which came out when there wasn't much around bar Rango really.
It's the only movie to compare it to. You can't really compare it to Green Lantern or Thor since they didn't have a patriotic angle that this one is selling. Also, Captain America is being aimed towards an audience that rarely sees movies (just like Battle: Los Angeles).
This is the most idiotic statement I've read in months.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

i must agree, that thought wasn't completely thought through, ;)

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I think my head just exploded from reading this thread.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Ahem.

Official theater counts:

Captain America - 3,715
Friends With Benefits - 2,926
Sarah's Key - 5