SPEARE'S TIPS - The Films of 6/29/11, 7/1/11

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

thswrestler160
Private Pyle

Re: SPEARE'S TIPS - The Films of 6/29/11, 7/1/11

Post by thswrestler160 »

Yay super 8 holding great to grab one more top 5 away from monte carlo!

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I only had Larry Crowne in my bankrupts, so that should do well. I'm still upset i have Cars 2 in the full year though. hopefully my winter picks can make up the difference.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Buscemi wrote: If this were any other period in time, Kung Fu Panda 2, Thor, X-Men: First Class and Larry Crowne would be dominating the box office. Instead, we get Transformers 3, The Hangover Part II and Fast Five.

Also, there used to be a time in which movies had likeable teachers who actually did their jobs and cared for the students. Well, at least Larry Crowne had a few (one played by Sulu, no less).
Thor - people are tired of superhero/comic book movies that all look the same (see: Green Lantern, and most likely Captain America)

X-Men First Class - I think people have gotten burned by two horrible X-Men movies in X3 and Wolverine, so they stayed away. The legs proved that the great reviews helped this a bit.

Larry Crowne - a bland, middle age rom-com? (Although it looks neither romantic or funny) Starring a past-her-prime Julia Roberts and Tom Hanks playing Tom Hanks? Opening against a highly anticipated Transformers? It would have never done well.

And I have no idea why Kung Fu Panda 2 bombed.

Meanwhile, The Hangover 2 and Fast Five are sequels to great films. And Transformers is Transformers, so that was always going to do well.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

UDM, Cars 2 looked like a sure hit for the full year draft, I understand your disappointment.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Buscemi wrote:I think it's the quality of the films. Apparently, every movie needs to have Ryan Reynolds, a superhero cracking jokes, explosions, women either being non-existent or pandering to the base and/or have a score by Hans Zimmer of a protege of his now.

If this were any other period in time, Kung Fu Panda 2, Thor, X-Men: First Class and Larry Crowne would be dominating the box office. Instead, we get Transformers 3, The Hangover Part II and Fast Five.
I don't think it's all down to the quality movies doing bad. Larry Crowne has had poor reviews.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

But so did Eat Pray Love, for example and that did quite well.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I mean more Boussh was suggesting it was only poor reviewed movies doing well this year while the quality movies were falling by the wayside, but one of his examples was Larry Crowne, which received poor reviews. And I think movies like Thor and Super 8 are matching what we expected of them, it's not like the bombed, or even that Green Lantern has done well.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I wasn't suggesting poor reviews on the last one. I had mentioned Larry Crowne because Tom Hanks movies had always done well and he's the type of guy that's immune to bad reviews.

And Transformers 2 and Fast and Furious were great movies? Since when? One's a overlong sequel that no one liked and the other's the fourth installment of a tired franchise.

Also, a lot of people complained that The Hangover Part II was a retread of the first film. And there was almost no sequel escalation with it (have you ever seen a sequel to a movie that pushes the limits of its R rating actually play it safe with the rating?). But yet people saw it anyway.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I guess expectations of some of us were too high, with Thor not making a huge amount for a Marvel film (and worldwide including marketing it may not make its money back), and Super 8 only scraping 100 mil

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

actually that's the 5th fast and furious film. and from fans of the franchise, i've heard it's one of the best

thswrestler160
Private Pyle

Post by thswrestler160 »

Buscemi wrote:And Transformers 2 and Fast and Furious were great movies? Since when? One's a overlong sequel that no one liked and the other's the fourth installment of a tired franchise.
I dont think anyone here said tranformers 2 was great but it did make 400 million so it was atleast liked by some. and most of the anticipation for the third one came from knowing it was better than the last. and Fast and Furious was a pretty damn good movie. The franchise was tired UNTIL Fast and Furious. They decided to bring the cast back and change up the formula a bit which in turn revitalized the franchise. Fast Five was even better than the fourth and so it made more money. nothing unexpected there.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Official Sunday results (3-day weekend)

Top 5:
5 points - Transformers, $97.8M
4 points - Cars 2, $26.3M
3 points - Bad Teacher, $14.5M
2 points - Larry Crowne, $13.1M
1 point - Super 8, $7.9M
6. Monte Carlo, $7.5M
7. Green Lantern, $6.6M
8. Mr. Popper's Penguins, $5.5M
9. Bridesmaids, $3.6M
10. Midnight in Paris, $3.6M
11. X-Men: First Class, $2.9M

PTA (May/Jun leagues):
5 points - Transformers, $23,937
4 points - A Better Life, $8,887
3 points - Cars 2, $6,385
2 points - Beginners, $5,539
1 point - Bad Teacher, $4,758

PTA (Jul leagues):
5 points - Transformers, $23,937
4 points - Larry Crowne, $4,405
3 points - The Perfect Host, $3,753
2 points - Monte Carlo, $3,014

Wow. For Beginners, that is 13 PTA in the April and May leagues, and 16 PTA in the June leagues.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Yep, Beginners definitely was a great pick !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Chien you need to start writing again! I suck at picking these PTA juggernauts!
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Haha. I've been thinking about it, but I don't think, don't know if I'd have enough time Geez, to become the FM writer I used to be again :?
Fluctuat nec mergitur