SPEARE'S TIPS - The Films of 6/17/11

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: SPEARE'S TIPS - The Films of 6/17/11

Post by Chienfantome »

It's not just me then. Damn, I needed to make a few adjustments.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Problem solved it seems :)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I got in too.

Official theater counts:

Green Lantern - 3,816
Mr. Popper's Penguins - 3,338
The Art of Getting By - 610
Buck - 4

Current RT scores:

Green Lantern - 20% (18/88)
Mr. Popper's Penguins - 41% (16/40)
The Art of Getting By - 20% (7/35)
Buck - 92% (22/24)

Wonder how many PTA points Buck is going to grab. Tree of Life has to drop sometime...

Estimates for next week:

Cars 2 - 3,900
Bad Teacher - 3,000
A Better Life - 4
The Names of Love - N/A
Around June - N/A
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

probably 2 or 3, the field is pretty open. Personally i hope tree of life stays on top for one last week.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Wouldn't that be something? What was the last film to win the PTA crown FOUR straight weeks? I can't even remember...

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I kinda wanted to go see Green Lantern, but if it's RT is lower than Mr. Popper's freakin Penguins.....I'll guess I'll wait for at least the dollar theater for that one.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

The Tree Of Life is expanding a little this week (up 67 to 114), as is Beginners (up 25 to 44) and The Trip (up 24 to 30), but even so I wouldn't be surprised for it to win again as there isn't really much competition and I don't think the new wide movies are ones which will really compete in that department. It's great for me, as I have it in most of my slates. I was planning on going to see Green Lantern when I first heard of it, but each trailer shown and the reviews have put me totally off. I'll be seeing Bridesmaids (which has just been released here) instead this week and leaving Green Lantern till it's on Sky Movies in a few months. I suspect all this negative press will have an impact on its OW box office, exactly the reason the reviews were held back so long.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Green Lantern did 81% of Thor's midnights. And Thor didn't seem to do all that well despite the great reviews.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

If that percentage carried over, it would mean 52 mil for Green Lantern's opening. But I imagine the reviews will kill off a lot of the audience. I'd say 45 mil for the weekend and maybe 100 mil cume

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Deadline is reporting early numbers of 55M for Lantern and 18M for Penguins. I'm pretty impressed if those numbers hold up for Green Lantern, although I would assume they would drop big time in week 2 based on the reviews. I thought it was going to bomb totally.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Classes are out and women love Ryan Reynolds. Also, advertising has been everywhere.

But anyway, don't be surprised if Greg Berlanti gets fired from the second movie (this is just as bad as having David E. Kelley write the Wonder Woman pilot, which was canned) and a reboot happens. Maybe they could have The Hughes Brothers do it and feature the John Stewart version of Green Lantern.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

I think what Thor, the new X-Men movie and the Green Lantern movie have shown is that comic book movies are getting over saturated...I mean it seems like there's a new one out every other week now. It's a classic example of taking a good thing and ramming it down the public's throat until they don't like it anymore. Greed is a son of a bitch. The excitement is no longer there...it's like, meh, another comic book movie, if I don't see this one I'll go to the one coming out next week.

I'm interested to see how Captain America performs though, as he was my favorite comic book character.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Patriotic films make money. Even badly received ones like Pearl Harbor and Battle: Los Angeles make money. $150 million should be no sweat.

And an early report on a June 24th release: Bad Teacher has a 50% Rotten Tomatoes rating after 26 reviews (it opened a week early in the UK). Most of the good reviews are average but the bad ones have been vicious (the main faults being the script and the unlikeable main character, which is what I predicted would be the film's faults). The user comments aren't good word for it either.

A lot of the time, US word is better but sometimes it's not (American critics didn't respond to Thor as well as international critics). I'm going to say that the American critics won't be kind to Bad Teacher.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Yeah, well, Bad Teacher seems like the kind of movie that is critic-proof. The people that find that kind of raunchy humor funny don't generally listen to reviews.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

The director's last film got a 70% from what I remember. Also, some people were actually convinced that it would be the comedy of the summer.