SPEARE'S TIPS - Most Anticipated Films of Summer 2011

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

SPEARE'S TIPS - Most Anticipated Films of Summer 2011

Post by Shrykespeare »

Since there are no weeks coming up where there are few enough films to talk about that I have the opportunity to slip this tri-yearly look ahead into my regular weekly column, I’ll just go ahead and do it separately. And of the three times a year I do this, this one is always the most fun.

These are just my opinions. They have nothing to do with box office projections or whatnot, it’s just based on how cool or funny or awesome they look, nothing more.

Top 12 Most Anticipated Films of Summer 2011 (May-August)

12. X-Men: First Class (6/24) – Of all the big Marvel superhero franchises, I must confess that the X-Men films and all of their spinoffs have fascinated me the least. Maybe it’s because when I was a comic-book reader in the 90’s, X-Men, though I did collect them, were always in the bottom part of my Top 10 in the order that I would read them. This prequel to the series does look interesting, but I don’t expect it’ll be as cool as any of the other superhero films this summer.

11. The Hangover Part 2 (5/26) – I regret not having seen the first Hangover film in theaters, but I won’t be making that mistake with the sequel. Though this film does seem like a complete rehash of the original, if it can still be funny, that’s all that matters. It really is a shame that that Mel Gibson cameo appearance was quashed, because that would have been awesome.

10. Super 8 (6/10) – This looks like Spielberg’s attempt to recapture the magic of his early projects such as E.T. and Close Encounters, but with a monster angle that J.J. Abrams brings to the table. Is Super 8 basically Cloverfield filtered through E.T. ? I don’t know, but I look forward to finding out. I also like how it takes place in 1979 instead of the present day; Spielberg should have no problem recreating that era perfectly.

9. Green Lantern (6/17) – I never collected this comic book, and I never really knew much about the character either save his occasional appearance on the old Justice League cartoon series. However, the trailer was very entertaining, and I think that if Ryan Reynolds can tread the line between hamming it up and being serious at the right times, this could be a very good film, possibly the first of several.

8. Transformers: Dark of the Moon (7/1) – Michael Bay PROMISES that this chapter will be better than Revenge of the Fallen, and I’m going to fucking hold him to that. The fact that they’re keeping John Turturro, adding John Malkovich, Patrick Dempsey and Frances McDormand and subtracting Megan Fox from the equation gives me a lot of hope. If history is any indicator, this will be the highest-grossing film of 2011, and I’m praying that I will rate it at least an 8/10.

7. Thor (5/6) – As we build up to the Avengers movie, I’m very curious to see how they are going to tell the story of the only “immortal” in the team of supers. The action looks cool and Chris Hemsworth really does look the part, and I trust Kenneth Branagh as a director, though this is his biggest film by a factor of about 100. I’m also hoping that Natalie Portman has more charisma in her character than Kirsten Dunst, and that Kat Dennings doesn’t totally steal the spotlight from her.

6. Cowboys & Aliens (7/29) – Aliens attacking the Old West? With James Bond hooking up with Han Solo fighting them off, under the director of Jon Favreau and a screenplay written by J.J. Abrams’ cohorts Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci? Count me in! Oh, and it has Sam Rockwell in it too? Well, that just clinches it.

5. Captain America: The First Avenger (7/22) – Captain America was always one of my favorite comics as a youngster, right up there with Batman and Spider-Man. So far, I’ve only ever seen his character portrayed in a couple of 1970’s/80’s TV movies that were, to put it mildly, horrible. I’m okay with Chris Evans playing the title role, given that he’s made a living out of portraying superheroes (and even played a super-villain of sorts in Scott Pilgrim), and having Hugo Weaving play The Red Skull was a brilliant choice.

4. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (5/20) – This is only this high on my list because Orlando Bloom’s character is nowhere to be found. They’ve kept the best characters and ditched the rest. And when you add in the always-awesome Ian McShane, major hottie Penelope Cruz and Judi Dench, well, it can’t help but be entertaining. The biggest question mark has got to be Rob Marshall, director of films like Chicago and Nine. As long as the Pirates don’t break into song like at the Disneyland ride, it should be good.

3. Kung Fu Panda 2 (5/26) – I’ve been able to discern very little of the actual plot of this film from the trailers, but it really doesn’t matter. The first KFP was such a great film that I trust the people at DreamWorks completely to not muck up the sequel. Everyone is back from the first film, as well as Gary Oldman, Michelle Yeoh and JCVD, so I’m really stoked to see it.

2. Cars 2 (6/24) – I know most people rank the original Cars down near the bottom of the list of their favorite Pixar films, but not me. When we were doing our Top 100 lists, almost every Pixar film made it onto someone’s list, yet I was the only one to choose Cars, so it should come as no surprise that the sequel is so high on my list. The trailer kind of makes the film look like a retread (grin), but at this point, I’d trust the folks at Pixar with my life. Wouldn’t all of us, by now?

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 (7/15) – Well, DUH. Eleven years, eight films, and this is how it all ends. Having been a follower of this series of films since it started, how could I not be there at the franchise’s exciting climax? I can only hope and pray that the snoozefest that Deathly Hallows Pt 1 was was simply what it was meant to be, a set-up to maybe the single-most anticipated movie of the decade. David Yates, millions of people are COUNTING on you to get this right: don’t you dare disappoint us.

Will Also See:
Priest (5/13)
Mr. Popper’s Penguins (6/17)
Larry Crowne (7/1)
Crazy, Stupid, Love (7/29)
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (8/5)
The Debt (8/31)

Will Probably See Out of Morbid Curiosity:
Bad Teacher (6/17)
Zookeeper (7/8)
The Smurfs (7/29)
The Help (8/12)

On the Fence/Need More Information:
Horrible Bosses (7/8)
The Change-Up (8/5)
30 Minutes or Less (8/12)
Conan the Barbarian (8/19)

Not Unless You Drug Me and Drag Me to the Theater in a Big Burlap Sack:
Something Borrowed (5/6)
Jumping the Broom (5/6)
Bridesmaids (5/13)
Judy Moody and the NOT Bummer Summer (6/10)
Monte Carlo (7/1)
Winnie the Pooh (7/15)
Friends With Benefits (7/22)
Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark (8/12)
Spy Kids 4: All the Time in the World (8/19)
Fright Night (8/19)
Final Destination 5 (8/26)

So that's my take on this summer's major films. What's yours?
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: SPEARE'S TIPS - Most Anticipated Films of Summer 2011

Post by numbersix »

The Tree of Life.

Not particularly interested in a lot of the blockbusters this summer. Particulary Cars 2, which is a shame because Pixar's last few films have been very good. I'll possibly watch Thor and X-Men First Class, but only if the reviews don't slate it. Same goes for Super 8.

Also The Guard

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

My most anticipated films of the summer
10.Crazy,Stupid,Love
9.Kung Fu Panda 2
8.30 Minutes Or Less
7.Super 8
6.Thor
5.Cowboys and Aliens
4.POTC: On Stranger Tides
3.X-Men: First Class
2.Transformers: Dark Of The Moon
1.The Hangover: Part 2

I will end up seeing more than this, but I must say this is one of the weakest looking summers for film of my lifetime.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

My most anticipated film of the year is The Tree of Life, so yes, it is my most anticipated film of the summer.

As far as blockbusters go, Super 8 and Cowboys & Aliens are the ones I'm most eager to see.
Thor, The Hangover part II, X-Men First Class, Captain American, Crazy Stupid Love, 30 minutes or less all look fun, I'll definitely catch them.
Another Earth is the little film I'm most curious about.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

will use your template shryke, that way i can just copy and paste.

I think this summer looks great, not any worse than any other year, and way better than last year.

Top 12 Most Anticipated Films of Summer 2011 (May-August)

12. The Troll Hunter (6/10)
Just to start off with something completely out there. the trailer looks fun and i expect this to be a great B movie. being where i am at the moment, i doubt it will ever be released wide enough to show up around here, so i will have to wait until dvd, but if by chance it is, i will definitely go check it out.

11. Captain America: The First Avenger (7/22)
This year will be the first time we get to see a period piece superhero movie (twice), which i think could be an interesting combination and bring something fresh to the superhero genre which seems to be getting stale (or is that just me). I've never read comics, so i don't know much of anything about Captain America, i hope he brings something to the table that other superhero films haven't.

10. Crazy, Stupid, Love (7/29)
I know it's a romcom, but for some reason it appeals to me. the trailer was funny, and any guy who jumps out of a moving car to get away from his yapping, cheating wife is awesome in my book. The suave guy teaching the schmuck loser how to get girls seems interesting. It might be just as predictable as any other romcom, but i'll give it a chance. Plus Emma Stone looks awesome on the big screen.

9. The Beaver (5/6)
this looks so weird that it just might work. even if it doesn't, i still want to see it not work. If you know what i mean. :lol:

8. The Tree of Life (5/27)
The trailer looks absolutely beautiful and while you can't really glean what it's about, i am intrigued and can't wait for it to come out.

7. Bad Teacher (6/17)
I love cameron diaz and her playing a vulgar middle school teacher looks hilarious. Will be there opening weekend.

6. Thor (5/6)
I still think that the superhero genre has been growing stale, but it seems others have been taking note. as we get a norwegian god superhero movie, an intergalactic superhero movie and two period piece ones. so at least they are trying to change it up. i've always loved mythology, so hopefully this is good. we'll see soon.

5. Cowboys & Aliens (7/29)
"Aliens attacking the Old West? With James Bond hooking up with Han Solo fighting them off, under the director of Jon Favreau and a screenplay written by J.J. Abrams’ cohorts Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci? Count me in! Oh, and it has Sam Rockwell in it too? Well, that just clinches it." - couldnt have said it better myself

4. X-Men: First Class (6/24)
the first period superhero film to come out and judging by the trailer it looks fantastic. I loved the first three xmen films, (yes even the third although it wasn't as good as the first two and i hope we get to see a fourth one day). and i hope this ones just as good.

3. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (5/20)
if you would of asked me a month ago, this probably wouldn't of been in my top 5. yes i would of eventually seen it because i love the franchise, but for some reason i wasn't looking forward to it that much. the closer it gets to the release date though, the more excited i am becoming. Can't wait.

2. Winnie the Pooh (7/15)
I know it must seem like an odd choice, but i grew up on the old movies and tv show. Unlike the other animated movies coming out this summer, which i can take em or leave em, i really want to see this. I highly doubt i could find anyone my age to go with, but that's ok, i'll take my little brother and sister to see it and have a good time reliving my childhood.

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 (7/15)
Totally agree with shryke about this being most anticipated. I think the films have been constantly getting better, I loved part one (unlike shryke). I loved the slow contemplative take on it. It will be a long time before anyone will ever see such a big budget film take it's time on such subject matter of family and friendship. But obviously it will end with huge set pieces and action galore and i hope it goes out with a bang. I'm also curious how it will end, if exactly like the book or there will be a few changes, which i wouldn't be opposed to.

Will Also See:
Green Lantern (6/17)
The Help (8/12)
Friends With Benefits (7/22)

Will Probably See Out of Morbid Curiosity... or Wait Till Its On DVD
Larry Crowne (7/1)
Transformers: Dark of the Moon (7/1)
Horrible Bosses (7/8)
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (7/15)
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (8/5)
The Debt (8/31)

Will Wait To See On DVD... Or Not At All
Priest (5/13)
Bridesmaids (5/13)
Kung Fu Panda 2 (5/26)
The Hangover Part 2 (5/26)
Super 8 (6/10)
Cars 2 (6/24)
The Change-Up (8/5)
Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark (8/12) - guellermo del toro's name is all over it, so it could be interesting, need to see a trailer though

Not Unless You Drug Me and Drag Me to the Theater in a Big Burlap Sack:
Something Borrowed (5/6)
Jumping the Broom (5/6)
Judy Moody and the NOT Bummer Summer (6/10)
Mr. Popper’s Penguins (6/17)
Monte Carlo (7/1)
Zookeeper (7/8)
The Smurfs (7/29)
30 Minutes or Less (8/12)
Conan the Barbarian (8/19)
Spy Kids 4: All the Time in the World (8/19)
Fright Night (8/19)
Final Destination 5 (8/26)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Hey UDM !!! Guess what ? I've seen Winnie the pooh last week-end !
It was released last week here in Paris, and a couple of friends who, like me, grew up with Winnie the Pooh, dragged me to see it. I was reluctant, but I still have fond memories of it, so I went. And unless you are 8 years old, you will be bored. The film is only an hour long, but it seemed like 3. It's a pure kid movie. No fun at all.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Yes, the film was released in Europe three months early. The UK and Germany also got it last week or will be getting it this week.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Let's see... I had to stretch for twelve:
1. Hangover: Part II - First one is top 10 (#7) all-time for me.
2. Cowboys vs. Aliens - Cast, director, concept, how can it go wrong?
3. Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Love Planet of the Apes (#23 on my list). Burton's remake was awful. This is something completely different from both.
4. Everything Must Go - Let's see how Will Ferrell does in a more serious role.
5. First Class -
6. Captain America
7. Thor
8. Super 8
9. Green Lantern
10. Cars 2 - It's Pixar, and I liked the first one.
11. Kung Fu Panda
12... Hobo with a Shotgun sounds pretty awesome.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Chienfantome wrote:Hey UDM !!! Guess what ? I've seen Winnie the pooh last week-end !
It was released last week here in Paris, and a couple of friends who, like me, grew up with Winnie the Pooh, dragged me to see it. I was reluctant, but I still have fond memories of it, so I went. And unless you are 8 years old, you will be bored. The film is only an hour long, but it seemed like 3. It's a pure kid movie. No fun at all.
will still check it out, just for nostalgia's sake, but that's disappointing to hear. although that effectively drops it off my top ten list.
Last edited by undeadmonkey on April 19th, 2011, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is the prequel to the original.

As for me, I don't know what my most anticipated is but here are my two least anticipated:

2. Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer - it looks like the worst acid trip ever.

1. Bad Teacher - raunchy comedy and shallow main characters do not mix. Why can't we have another movie about teachers like Mr. Holland's Opus or Dead Poets Society?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Why can't we have another movie about teachers like Mr. Holland's Opus or Dead Poets Society?
Because of turds like this that followed in the footsteps of those movies:

come on, be honest, how many of you are singing "Gangsters Paradise" by Coolio right now? lol

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Buscemi wrote:Rise of the Planet of the Apes is the prequel to the original.

As for me, I don't know what my most anticipated is but here are my two least anticipated:

2. Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer - it looks like the worst acid trip ever.

1. Bad Teacher - raunchy comedy and shallow main characters do not mix. Why can't we have another movie about teachers like Mr. Holland's Opus or Dead Poets Society?
I know it's a prequel to the original, but it's different than the other prequels which said that the apes developed their language naturally after being kept as pets/servants. This one uses brain altering drug trials on apes. That, and it looks and feels completely different than Burton's vision or the original sequels.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I think you guys are underestimating Bridesmaids. It's gotten rave reviews so far, it's rated R, basically The Hangover with chicks which sounds different enough to interest me.

1. Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 2 - Books and movies that have defined my life. And it's all ending! I'm not sure how many times I'll see it in theaters, but at least 2-3.

2. X-Men: First Class - Love all the X-Men movies, except for Wolverine. And the prequel looks great.

3. Bad Teacher - This will be the surprise comedy of the year, it might not make as much as The Hangover Part 2, but it should be much funnier. Have you guys seen the redband trailer?

4. The Hangover Part 2 - "What's this, a PF Changs?"

5. Super 8 - I've learned not to doubt JJ Abrams. M:I3 and Star Trek were fantastic, and this looks amazing.

6. Kung Fu Panda 2 - KFP1 was my 2nd favorite movie of 2008, but I'm a little hesitant that Dreamworks got a sequel together so quickly. I fear that it won't be nearly as good.

7. Transformers: Dark of The Moon - I think Bay will try and make up for one of the worst blockbusters of all time in Tf2. Don't like the Megan Fox replacement, but can't wait to see a full trailer.

8. Captain America - I know little about Capt. America, but it looks like it can be great.

9. Bridesmaids - I think this will surprise everyone.

10. Cowboys & Aliens - How can this not be great?

11. 30 Minutes or Less - They had me at Aziz Ansari and Danny McBride.

12. Horrible Bosses - I need to see a trailer but with that cast and hopefully rated R, it can be a suprise hidden between Harry Potter and Transformers.

Maybe's:

Green Latern
Thor
Friends With Benefits
Crazy Stupid Love
Rise of The Planet of The Apes
The Change-Up

Hell No:
Pirates of The Carribbean 4
Cars 2
Judy Moody
Conan The Barbarian
Spy Kids 4
Monte Carlo
The Zookeeper
Winnie The Pooh
The Smurfs
Mr. Popper's Penguins
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Buscemi wrote:\

do you watch comedy movies?! most raunchy comedies have shallow main characters and they do fantastic. wedding crashers, superbad, knocked up, american pie, borat, anyone?

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

But at least most of those films had interesting characters (American Pie didn't because it was basically a remake of Porky's). Bad Teacher has an incredibly vapid main character whose sole interest is getting breast implants. That alone makes it sound like a waste. Also, it's from the writers of Year One.

As for surprise comedy of the year, that title will go to Larry Crowne. Audiences will want at least one feel-good movie and Tom Hanks going to college will do the trick.